• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Hi guys. I've been lurking on the threads to try to get my head around what my options are. I'm 26 (27 in June) and want to apply to the Core program with CEC as my secondary option. I'm Active Duty and I have an AA in Electronics Technology. Does anyone know how common age waivers are? It's definitely possible for me to get my degree before my 29th birthday. Thanks.

wernama

Age waivers are pretty much automatic as long as you make it known that you need one. I put my request in my personal statement and it wasn't even an issue.

johnnyfive

Thanks. I don't have a real CCC because my command is so small so I'm having to find out most stuff for myself. So there isn't a chit I have to route or anything?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer. Looking through the STA-21 website, I read the following: "[FONT=&quot]Personal statement should include request for waiver of any type. Statement should be about why you want to be a Naval Officer."[/FONT]

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
I would suggest routing a chit through your CoC to ensure that they know you are indeed applying, however, it is not required. You will need someone from your command to set up your command, officer boards and the outside of the command officer boards.

Thanks. I don't have a real CCC because my command is so small so I'm having to find out most stuff for myself. So there isn't a chit I have to route or anything?

Edit: Never mind, I found the answer. Looking through the STA-21 website, I read the following: "[FONT=&quot]Personal statement should include request for waiver of any type. Statement should be about why you want to be a Naval Officer."[/FONT]

johnnyfive

Thanks for the tip. Does anyone know where we can find past year quotas before 2010? I've been searching everywhere and have come up with nothing so far.

wernama

I believe the STA-21 website has a power point that shows the quotas from 2009 and 2010. Like Omararw said I would also suggest routing a chit just to let your COC know your intentions. I know its hard to avoid it but, I wouldnt worry about quotas from previous years since they are not an accurate gouge on what to expect for the current cycle(ex. FY-2010 200+ selectees FY-2011 110 or so selects) Who knows how many they will select this year... Best of luck to all that apply!

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
So I have been gathering up all of my awards and documents, and putting together my package. When printing the PRIMS data for the last 3 PRT's, what screen should we print? I found that I can print each PRT seperate, and it only gives the category score (ex. Outstanding High, Excellent Medium) and leaves out the raw data. Or I can print out my PFA results which show all PRTs (it doesn't have to show all PRT scores, only the ones I expand), including the raw data and category score. Hopefully I didn't make this question seem too confusing. I am sure that somebody understands what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.

Also, do the boards have to wait until the completion of the Spring PRT?

johnnyfive

From OPNAVINST 1420.1B: "Application shall include a certified copy of applicant’s last three PFA results. Results should be printed from Physical Readiness Information Management System (PRIMS) and will include raw score data for each portion of the test as well as height/weight and/or body composition assessment."

You should print out the PFA results so that all required information is included. I don't think you have to wait until Spring's PFA is over to submit your package or conduct boards. The instruction says nothing indicating that you should wait. You should be fine to send it whenever it's complete. You could always send Spring's PFA results in later just to be safe.

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
From OPNAVINST 1420.1B: "Application shall include a certified copy of applicant’s last three PFA results. Results should be printed from Physical Readiness Information Management System (PRIMS) and will include raw score data for each portion of the test as well as height/weight and/or body composition assessment."

You should print out the PFA results so that all required information is included. I don't think you have to wait until Spring's PFA is over to submit your package or conduct boards. The instruction says nothing indicating that you should wait. You should be fine to send it whenever it's complete. You could always send Spring's PFA results in later just to be safe.

This is true, if you would like to have a copy of what to do for your prims please send me an email robert.omara@navy.mil and i will send you a word document on exactly what to do.

pilot_hopeful20

hello all, i am putting together a package, but i JUST started do you think i would have a shot at getting accepted cutting it so close?

james.root1

Hey there everyone. First of all i just want to wish everyone good luck this year in applying. First year applying for me here, hopefully getting selected for Intel. For those of you who have applied before and those of you who are already selected, what are some of the better school that will work with the military in transfering credits and doesnt take an act of congress to get everything in order? I've heard some are better than others or at least more military friendly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Right now i am looking at University of North Florida, University of Michigan or cross town Eastern Michigan and University of Colorado in Denver.

johnnyfive

hello all, i am putting together a package, but i JUST started do you think i would have a shot at getting accepted cutting it so close? Does anyone know what schools you are allowed to attend with the STA-21 program?

You should go on the STA-21 website and look at the fleet brief and also read 1420.1b Chapter 8. There are a lot of requirements to apply for pilot. I don't think it's too late but if you haven't been preparing (i.e. studying, improving PT score, etc.) you may not do as well as you could. For a list of the NROTC-affiliated universities, see Appendix B of 1420.1b.

OC/EMC

Hey there everyone. First of all i just want to wish everyone good luck this year in applying. First year applying for me here, hopefully getting selected for Intel. For those of you who have applied before and those of you who are already selected, what are some of the better school that will work with the military in transferring credits and doesnt take an act of congress to get everything in order? I've heard some are better than others or at least more military friendly. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Right now i am looking at University of North Florida, University of Michigan or cross town Eastern Michigan and University of Colorado in Denver.

I'm at UNF right now. While they won't roll out the red carpet for military, they are pretty competent and are getting better every semester. The ROTC unit is actually attached to Jacksonville University so you may enroll there, UNF or Florida State College of Jacksonville. J.U. will bend over backwards to help military students, but you will pay out of pocket unless you use your GI bill to go there. It is not uncommon for STA-21 to start at JU then transfer to UNF. UNF and JU follow the same academic calendar, but FSCJ is one week behind. I have taken a few classes at FSCJ, but can not tell you how easy/hard it is to register and get a degree plan from them.

As far as transferring credits, it will depend on the degree, at least at UNF. I tried to transfer into EE and it took them several months, but my transcripts and records were reviewed very quickly by the computer science department. Also, you need to have your Associates or UNF will not accept you. If that is the case, try FSCJ.

-Rob

james.root1

Rob, Thanks for the heads up with the UNF info. One other question. When you put your package in, how many LORs did you have? Right now i have 1 Admiral, 2 Captain and 1 air force major unit commander. I havent really heard of anyone having too much or too little. At the same time i dont want to over fluff the package, you know what i mean?