• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

jeeplovindad

FY13 Sta-21 Applicant EDO/SWO
I am by no means an expert on this subject, as I too will be applying this year, but breaking out on the ship is about doing your job brilliantly and taking every opportunity you can to help the command out. Meaning, don't take a job because it looks good on your eval, take it because you feel you'll do it well and that you'll do it better than anyone else. You do that and you'll get noticed because being motivated and genuine are often qualities overlooked due to our quantitative eval system (Meaning the more crap you can put on an eval, the better it tends to look). As for the STA-21 program, it's been my observation - and probably everybody else's out there - that the more credits you have, the better. The government is trying to slash budgets, so if they can get away with sending your for 1-2 years, then you'll have a better chance than the sailor that will need every moment of three years to make that degree commission come to fruition. That's hard on the ship, I know, but if you can manage it - and you said you were on an extended inport period - take all the classes that you can handle while maintaining as close to a 4.0 GPA as possible. This will show the board - as well as your command - that you are driven to obtain this goal. You can't do anything more than that, not really anyways. Good luck!

OC/EMC

Hopefully this is not just a STA_21 rumor, but my husband is currently in STA-21 and he heard this morning at muster that the enlisted commissioning budget has been cut in half, and they only expect to select ~60 applicants for STA-21 this upcoming cycle. I'm not saying that to be a downer, but just keep working on your package and try not to get too down if this isn't the year, b/c of the numbers. It really stinks! :-(

PS My hubby made it on his 2nd try. Keep trying!

I am not sure if 60 is the right number, but there are cuts across the board in just about all commissioning programs. ROTC scholarships are dropping and STA-21 selections will also be dropping. The money saving efforts of our government are reaching their way to the officer programs. After talking with my CO, I think STA-21 numbers of 2006,2007,2008 are long gone. I would expect to see numbers similiar to or slightly less than last years selections, at least until we get our national spending in check.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
I am not sure if 60 is the right number, but there are cuts across the board in just about all commissioning programs. ROTC scholarships are dropping and STA-21 selections will also be dropping. The money saving efforts of our government are reaching their way to the officer programs. After talking with my CO, I think STA-21 numbers of 2006,2007,2008 are long gone. I would expect to see numbers similiar to or slightly less than last years selections, at least until we get our national spending in check.

It seems like every time I am about to apply or attempt something, the tide turns against me. The advancement for my rate from AWV2 to AWV1 was at about 30%, but then when I become eligible and take the exam, it goes down to 3%, then 0%. At that rate I have a much better chance with this program, no matter how many applicants get selected.

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
LOR's

Here a few questions about Letters of Recommendations. What is a good number of LOR's? Also, what should a LOR specifically state? I have an officer who said that he will write one for me. He asked me to let him know what some of the current trends are. Any suggestions out there?

I'd say that there's no "good" number to go by. I will say that it's probably not a good idea to get a bunch on O-3 and belows to write them. Maybe just your DIVO. Shoot for CDR and above. I also had my math professor write me one. Also... be sure that they say something along the lines of "I would be honored to have him serve in my wardroom" or "He would be a stellar performer in any wardroom" Anything about your performance in the wardroom. They look for those specific statements.

Soup84

Prior AM2, FY-12 Pilot Select, Commissioned Dec 12
I have been wanting to go STA-21 for a while and am going to finally put in my package for this year. Thanks for the help AM2! Do those LORs really carry a lot of weight?

I think they did. My recommendations also gave me a chance to add more details about my career. For example, my CO never included anything about my sailor of the year award. So my LCDR mentioned it in the LOR. Also, it never hurts to have another officer's positive opinion of you. That's what the boards are all about. If you can add more officers to that pool, do it. Just shoot for O-5 and above. Also, ask them to include some statement about how great you'd perform in the wardroom and how much they would want you in it.

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
Do LOR's from retired officers, or other service officers hold any weight? How about Senior Enlisted? Also, should LOR's be gathered before or after the boards?

OC/EMC

Do LOR's from retired officers, or other service officers hold any weight? How about Senior Enlisted? Also, should LOR's be gathered before or after the boards?

Yes.
More than likely, but don't get all Senior enlisted. Mix it up.
Have EVERYTHING ready for your package by the time you sit boards. The board members will look at the LOR's. It might sway them......

Eblack904

Hello all, I am reapplying this year. the numbers were low last year. but do not let it discourage you. Going through your interview boards, turns you into a completely different person. I just pulled the package out again. I am helping other people apply to. I will retake the ACTs to try and score higher than the 24 i had last year. I wish everyone luck and hope all goes well!

Popo Jijo

Primary Complete
What are the proper steps to get a document "certified"? Also, how is a "Certified to be a true copy" of a SMART transcript obtained? The website were you order them says that only unofficial copies can be directly obtained by service members.

This site is full of great information and really appreciate everyone's replies. Out here in the recruiting world it is really remote and almost nobody can answer these questions. Thanks.

omararw

FY-12 Pilot Ready to fly Navy!
Copies of certified documents means, that you make a copy of the original and then have your admin stamp it to be certified, make sure that they also sign it. To get a certified copy of your smart transcripts you must go to a Navy college to have them pull a report and stamp it, again ensure that it’s signed.

What are the proper steps to get a document "certified"? Also, how is a "Certified to be a true copy" of a SMART transcript obtained? The website were you order them says that only unofficial copies can be directly obtained by service members.

This site is full of great information and really appreciate everyone's replies. Out here in the recruiting world it is really remote and almost nobody can answer these questions. Thanks.