• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

Jimglh

no called Ed Straten yesterday again, was told none have been returned yet, once they do get approved then BUPERS will take up to ten days to cut orders.... Checked with personal property and they said they would be able to do a speedy move if orders arrived late, not sure if this applies to all areas tho..worth it to check:)

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
Did anyone check their physical status? Mine's through BUMED, on to NOMI. Not sure how long that will take.

Eblack904

Orders requested today!!! WIN!!

Physical Information was received:

11/9/2011

Physical Status is : QUALIFIED
Date of Physical Status: 12/28/2011
Physical sent to BUMED: 11/9/2011

Degree Plan Information

AssignedHost SchoolCross EnrollStatus
01 AUBURN UNIVERSITY AUBURN UNIVERSITY Not Reviewed
16 JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA Not Reviewed
45 UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA Not Reviewed
16 JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY JACKSONVILLE UNIVERSITY Valid/Accepted

Orders Information

Order TypeRequestedDate Time Group
NSI AND NROTC ORDERS 12/28/2011

Dean

OK, so I plan on applying for the first time this year. I'm an AT2 and I've been in for 6 years. I want to go through the program as a SWO/ED. How exactly does this work? I've read the instruction on it but I've also read elsewhere that I would go through college to get my bachelors degree in whatever I pick and then after 2 DIVO tours then I get to option to the engineering program and will go back to college and get my Masters degree. This is really the only thing I have issues with understanding.

johnnyfive

This is from the 1420.1B:

"Graduates of the STA-21 SWO (ED option) will be designated as ensign, U.S. Navy, SWO student, designator 1160, with an additional qualification designator code line of accounting upon graduation from college/university. These officers are assigned to division officer afloat duties on a fleet unit where they will complete an initial URL experience tour, qualify as SWO, and be redesignated as SWO (1110). Upon completion of SWO qualification, and at the completion of their second division officer tour and favorable record review screening by the engineering duty community manager will automatically be redesignated to 1460 without board action and will be assigned to future duties as a special duty officer (engineering duty).

(2) Officers who no longer desire to execute their option to redesignate to 1460 shall submit a letter to NAVPERSCOM (PERS-412) via NAVPERSCOM Head Engineering Duty Officer (PERS-317C) stating their desire to remain SWO. The letter must be endorsed by the officer’s CO."

Basically, the option to go ED is automatic after completing your two DIVO tours and getting your SWO pin. You can also choose to request to stay URL SWO but I don't know why you'd want to, unless you really want to command a ship someday. This is an awesome option but it's extremely competitive. Most years there are only one or two spots and over 30 applicants. Not trying to discourage you but it's something to keep in mind. I changed my program option more than once as I learned more about each program. As for the Masters degree, they can send you to get your Masters that's not limited to SWO/ED. I know the Graduate Education Voucher Program is available to URL officers and there may be other programs too.

A.war.IN.me

Space Geek x pi
After reading all of these posts I realize that most of the people who get selected for STA-21 have been in 4+ years. I've only been 1.5, I've got all of my quals except ESWS, (still working on it) I've been in no trouble and I'm starting school this month. How long should I wait to apply?

johnnyfive

Having more school is always better but it won't necessarily bar you from selection if you're just starting out. I do recommend CLEP and DSST. I did DSST at the Navy College Office.