• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY12 STA-21 Applicants

johnnyfive

FY12 STA-21 Selectee (NFO), WINGED AVIATOR
It's not really possible to tell you your odds, but a cursory look tells me you are on the right track. The board is looking for officer potential and academic potential. Read through the forums and you will start to get an idea of what a competitive package looks like. Some important things you left out that you should be focusing on: PT, ACT/SAT score (the sooner the better so you can retake, if necessary), collaterals or volunteer work that show leadership, etc. The board doesn't see what you cut on the advancement exams or that you're willing to stay in your current area for school. Keep in mind that you can choose Core and one other option. You CANNOT choose two specific communities. I know because I tried.

johnnyfive

Does anyone know if they cut off our enlisted uniform allowance? I was supposed to get mine this month and didn't.

CJet

Don't ever let anyone tell you no!
I'm applying here in Japan, does anyone know how to get a schedule for the Officer Board....I've been emailing people in Yokosuka and still no response. I'm going the pilot route by the way.

johnnyfive

I'm applying here in Japan, does anyone know how to get a schedule for the Officer Board....I've been emailing people in Yokosuka and still no response. I'm going the pilot route by the way.
Your command should be setting that up for you.

johnnyfive

Finally got orders. They said there was a threshold waiver in because they were over cost. My orders say report NLT 18Feb. Do yours say 19Feb?

johnnyfive

About time! Mine say the 18th as well, even thought the STA-21 Website said the 19th.
Yeah, I got orders to detach in January on January 31st! Anyway, the orders also say: "NSI: REPORT TO NEWPORT RI NLT 0700, BASED ON YOUR CLCVN DATE FOR 8 WEEKS TEMDUINS FFT NROTC." So is everyone checking in Friday night then? :eek:

johnnyfive

Yeah, I got orders to detach in January on January 31st! Anyway, the orders also say: "NSI: REPORT TO NEWPORT RI NLT 0700, BASED ON YOUR CLCVN DATE FOR 8 WEEKS TEMDUINS FFT NROTC." So is everyone checking in Friday night then? :eek:
Nevermind, the CLCVN (class convening) date is 19Feb. So we should be good checking in Sunday night.

Ordie1757

Hey fellas, I hope there are some of you who are still checking this forum...I was trying to figure out what kind of liberty we were gonna have at NSI, the only reason I ask is because I am currently enrolled in three courses thorough Columbia College online...and it would suck if I had to drop and pay the tuition back to the Navy. Also did all the primary selectees make it, or did some have to withdraw their selection status??

johnnyfive

I haven't heard of anyone dropping but we probably won't know until we get there. Read up on the website for NSI: http://www.ocs.navy.mil/nsi.asp

FAQ #8:

Can I bring my laptop computer?
Yes. Please be advised we do not have wireless internet capability. Also, there are computers available for you to use at the command.

From what I've gathered on the forums and their website, after dinner we have time to study and do whatever. I doubt the studies there will be so strenuous that you don't have time to do some studying on your own but I'd get done what I can now. Three classes plus whatever they give us there sounds like a bad idea. Do you still have time to drop the classes and recoup the money for the Navy?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I was trying to figure out what kind of liberty we were gonna have at NSI, the only reason I ask is because I am currently enrolled in three courses thorough Columbia College online...and it would suck if I had to drop and pay the tuition back to the Navy.

I was a FY09 guy but our first 2 weeks we were restricted to "training country" which includes the chow hall, gym, track, and obviously the barracks. You will slowly earn more and more liberty as long as you guys don't get in trouble. They don't have wireless internet for your laptop but most cell phone providers offer a tether option which allows you to use your phone as a router. Doing this would allow you to be connected to the internet on your laptop while in your room. I think this costs extra so check with your provider. Also, there are computers with internet in the barracks. I would suggest not dropping your current college classes because you will have time to work on them. Plus, the courses at NSI are not that demanding and some of the subject material you may already know (depending on your rate some topics may be easier than others). You will definitely have to put some time in studying but it shouldn't take all your attention. Looking back, I wish I would've taken a couple online classes during my time in RI.

kb9579

FY12 STA-21 Selectee SWO(IP)
Waiver approved, orders in, I am set to get there the 17th. Hope everyone is doing well!