• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Mom is a Garbage Shore-Tour

BackOrdered

Contributor
Not sure about Aviators, but I thought SWO shore duty regardless of where it is, was a moot point. "Sustained Superior Performance at Sea." Shore duty, to include ROTC instructor tours, are just your break. I never met a SWO that lost the farm because, "shore duty was meh." Sea tours on the other hand.....

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's not a thing for aviation, at least for the first shore tour. A production tour (i.e. weapons school, FRS, VTs) is the preferred path. A ROTC job is off track, but that should be something the detailer tells you going in.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure about Aviators, but I thought SWO shore duty regardless of where it is, was a moot point. "Sustained Superior Performance at Sea." Shore duty, to include ROTC instructor tours, are just your break. I never met a SWO that lost the farm because, "shore duty was meh." Sea tours on the other hand.....
As @cfam alluded to, if you see an aviator ROTC instructor, they're generally either getting out at their commitment, or an O-5 or O-6 on their twilight tour . . . after which they're getting out. See a theme?

That said, there are occasional exceptions to the rule, including one who posts around these parts.

Austin-Powers

Powers By Name, Powers By Reputation
That said, there are occasional exceptions to the rule, including one who posts around these parts.

If you are a fresh LT and you are an aviation instructor what would be the benefit of taking an NROTC shore deal? Why not take up any other shore assignment? Just curious, really.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If you are a fresh LT and you are an aviation instructor what would be the benefit of taking an NROTC shore deal? Why not take up any other shore assignment? Just curious, really.
You wouldn't be a fresh LT as an aviator.
It's an opportunity to get a grad degree and start putting one foot out the door with a pretty cake sked. Even if what the OP says is true for all NROTC units (which I doubt since all units are different) it's still not triple bags of fams and 80+hr months in the panhandle summer. The downside is that you've just stepped off of the golden path by taking a non grey airplane production tour.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
FFS. And people wonder why we don't send due course officers to NROTC tours.

I could be wrong here. Wasn’t your first shore tour accomplished getting your degree? If so, that’s proof positive that it really shouldn’t matter what a shore tour is.

Note, by no means begrudging a good deal. Just pointing out a minor bit of hypocrisy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I could be wrong here. Wasn’t your first shore tour accomplished getting your degree? If so, that’s proof positive that it really shouldn’t matter what a shore tour is.

Note, by no means begrudging a good deal. Just pointing out a minor bit of hypocrisy.
That’s very different, in that I had zero choice in the matter. I would have been more competitive career-wise had I gone to a production tour, and I would have chosen that route had the particulars of my program allowed it.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
That’s very different, in that I had zero choice in the matter. I would have been more competitive career-wise had I gone to a production tour, and I would have chosen that route had the particulars of my program allowed it.
Are you saying you’re as good an officer as those who went production? My real point here is paths are bullshit.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you saying you’re as good an officer as those who went production? My real point here is paths are bullshit.
No, I’m saying your comparison is flawed. To the extent that the path provides NAE a return on training investment, while NROTC does not, its easy to understand why it is valued.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
No, I’m saying your comparison is flawed. To the extent that the path provides NAE a return on training investment, while NROTC does not, its easy to understand why it is valued.

“What have you done for me lately?” I generally find it as a poor way to pick people for anything.

Can hide a lot of shit under a golden path just because one person liked the way it smells.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
“What have you done for me lately?” I generally find it as a poor way to pick people for anything.

Can hide a lot of shit under a golden path just because one person liked the way it smells.
Whether or not the golden path is the best way to produce good senior leaders is a completely different question than whether it provides the NAE a better return on training investment than non-production options.

When you're CNAF, you can alter the system so that it makes sense to you. Until then, not interested in beating that dead horse with you.