• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Mom is a Garbage Shore-Tour

IRfly

None
Come on, now...This is the best kind of warning: "SAVE YOURSELVES!"

I'd do a similar one for anyone with pretensions on being a foreign area officer or any other kind of Navy "big thinker," but I'm a 'misery loves company' type.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Am I the only one who thinks the OP is a little bit right?

NROTC is supposed to be a good deal dead end tour. It’s never going to be career enhancing, ever. If it’s a dead end tour AND a shit deal, no one of any value, whether staying in or getting out, will ever do it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

NROTC is supposed to be a good deal dead end tour. It’s never going to be career enhancing, ever. If it’s a dead end tour AND a shit deal, no one of any value, whether staying in or getting out, will ever do it.
They’re called orders for a reason.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor

Amazing, I agree with Phrogdriver.

And referencing the Tipping Flight Attendants thread, Brett just once again proved my point.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

Are you saying that the pluses and minuses, to include command climate, of different billets doesn’t affect who ends up going there? Of course it does. People get assigned different billets based on their aptitude, personal choice, and needs of the service.

If a previously good deal billet is no longer, it’s going to be less competitive. Instead of the smart guy getting out trying to get a masters, it’ll be the shit deal the Navy gives a guy because he’s leaving anyway.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are you saying that the pluses and minuses, to include command climate, of different billets doesn’t affect who ends up going there? Of course it does. People get assigned different billets based on their aptitude, personal choice, and needs of the service.

If a previously good deal billet is no longer, it’s going to be less competitive. Instead of the smart guy getting out trying to get a masters, it’ll be the shit deal the Navy gives a guy because he’s leaving anyway.
I'm saying that if people don't voluntarily sign up for those billets, they'll be filled with non-volunteers. I don't know why you'd assume that all the people doing NROTC/getting a masters are the "smart" guys. While I don't want these kinds of shore tours to become unnecessarily painful, as an enterprise, I'm not sure it makes sense to incentivize good deal, pack off billets for people who are going to bail ASAP. My presumption is that the story the OP is trying to convey is not representative of NROTC tours in general.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
C3F called me about seven times last night, but I'm not complaining because I get paid like 120K to answer stupid questions at 2am. OP, goodluck with your life. Sounds rough.

p.s. garbage in = garbage out

bluemarlin04

I think OP is right. And good for him for sharing and trying to prevent others from making the same mistake.

I too would like to warn anyone thinking about becoming an 1830. Save yourself and don’t do it. Worst years of my life.

I’m a free man now though.