• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Mom is a Garbage Shore-Tour

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Not when you have to smell that rank-ass shit all over downtown now. ? Smells like Satan’s asshole.
It's like, what's that smell? Either somebody buttered their burned toast with shit, or I'm having a stroke and I don't know it, or that's just the herb again.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why is Whidbey bad?

It's a small town on an island and it took 2.5 hours or more to get to Seattle or Vancouver and more than a handful of the same old places for entertainment, especially if you want to socialize with non-Navy folks along with non-enlisted and non-married women. For a bachelor the opportunities to change that status weren't plentiful.

Drivers in the NW also suck, a significant portion of whom drive well below the speed limit even on highways and even better have a tendency to do so in large packs. Driving behind a cluster of folks going ~50 on I-5 to Seattle or Canada for a solid hour was maddening, especially when it happened almost every time I made that drive.

Finally the weather was overcast and dreary from early fall to late spring, hovering in the 40's to 50's with drizzle and hardly a peek of the sun and it does become a drag.

It's definitely not the worst place in the world to be stationed but it wasn't Shangri-La either. All that said I will likely retire to WA state, the wife is from Vancouver, Canada and misses it a lot. Not Whidbey though, she wasn't a fan either.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Don't forget the measles outbreak, "wind storms" (<30 knots) knocking power out for days, and 1" of snow everything down!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a small town on an island and it took 2.5 hours or more to get to Seattle or Vancouver and more than a handful of the same old places for entertainment, especially if you want to socialize with non-Navy folks along with non-enlisted and non-married women. For a bachelor the opportunities to change that status weren't plentiful.
Which is why you go to Seattle on the weekends. Even I and my horrible lack of game knew that. :)
Drivers in the NW also suck, a significant portion of whom drive well below the speed limit even on highways and even better have a tendency to do so in large packs. Driving behind a cluster of folks going ~50 on I-5 to Seattle or Canada for a solid hour was maddening, especially when it happened almost every time I made that drive.
Can't argue that point. They also have a disturbing habit of not understanding the concept of "keep right except to pass." Thus forcing you to bracket the slowpoke on the center lane as you and the other driver pass them on both sides.

Of note, this only applies outside Greater Seattle, especially during commute times. Inside that bubble, every square inch of roadway must be used, no quarter is given or expected, and if you don't establish dominance, you may be summarily killed and eaten. It's fucking insane.
Finally the weather was overcast and dreary from early fall to late spring, hovering in the 40's to 50's with drizzle and hardly a peek of the sun and it does become a drag.
That happens until winter hits and it gets cold. And then comes back until spring. But from late November to mid-January and again from May to August, you get this . . .
2017-1-12-15.jpg

And this . . .

And if you go backpacking by Baker, you get this . . .
Like I said, wonderful place for as long as the Seattleites aren't successful in turning it into California's insecure little brother.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Why is Whidbey bad?
Every base has its upsides, downsides, lovers, and haters. A lot of it depends on where you are in your life and your interests. If you like backpacking and the great outdoors than Whidbey isn't bad. If youre a young single JO looking for love then SD may your place. If you're married with kids then looking to have a home in a good school district may make SD seem less appealing. A lot of Helo guys hate NOB but the jet guys fight get to Oceana. Some guys are terrified of going to Japan and others will never leave. Different folks, different strokes.

BarryD

Contributor
If youre a young single JO looking for love then SD may your place. If you're married with kids then looking to have a home in a good school district may make SD seem less appealing.
Only send your kid to Public School in San Diego if you want them to watch The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and Monty Python's Life of Brian in class as a part of their curriculum. ;)