• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your Mom is a Garbage Shore-Tour

Smirnoff

pilot
I think OP is right. And good for him for sharing and trying to prevent others from making the same mistake.

I too would like to warn anyone thinking about becoming an 1830. Save yourself and don’t do it. Worst years of my life.

I’m a free man now though.

Aaron??

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
BriefNauticalIndianrhinoceros-size_restricted.gif

Duhgreat

Damn...thread blew up. I stopped paying attention after all the O-4's hopped on and started name calling...I'll give them that I was a bit dramatic though.

For all those in agreement, thanks. I was just trying to share my experiences as an NROTC Instructor so those eyeing orders can go in fully aware instead of happily ignorant as I was.

HungryHippo

Is op serious? I did rotc and graduated less than 2 years ago. I went to a college most people would consider a desirable to place to do a rotc tour/get a graduate degree. I and all of my classmates thought it seemed like a great deal for the JOs. Not very hard work, plenty of time to get a masters, high pay, chill front office. It's definitely a tour I would want if I could go to the right unit.

Have ROTC tours really changed that much in <two years? Or is it more that there are big differences between colleges?

m5h9

I did a tour 10 years ago, hard work, able to get the degree, a bad front office and then a great front office. It was a good deal for me in the end. Seemed that there were huge differences in colleges. The big deal at the time was the indiscriminate IA tours. I think a lot of people troll for hot responses here.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Even as a mid, I thought that the instructors at my unit worked pretty hard for a shore tour. Maybe it was just my unit, but I clearly remember the instructors at pt with us 3x per week at 0545, then teaching 2 or 3 classes throughout the day. When they weren’t teaching, they were generally around for advising purposes and also helping out at our weekly lab. So they would be doing stuff until about 1600, then they would take night classes for their MBAs/MAs/whatever. So while it wasn’t terribly difficult work, it definitely did not seem like a cake tour by any means. Was my unit that different from others?