• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

jooman360

questions

i am planning on taking the astb after winter break. I am going to get the study materials and study about 2 hours every day 7days a week minimum until the break ends then take the test. Will that be enough time? i got a 84 on the practice asfab i took in the recruiters office. They said it was good, but does that score somewhat correlate to the astb.

also i will be applying for ocs and aviation, does this mean i am applying for pilot, or pilot and navigator and other aviation jobs.

also im planning on getting pilot licenses if i get into ocs or not because i want to fly commercial jets someday. If i was a navy navigator, could i still get a pilot job with a major airliner job easily after i get out of the navy. i want to be a comercial pilot with navy or not

also where can i find out all the acronyms and vocab like gouge, NFO, SNO

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Try the search function. All of these questions and more (like grammar and spelling) can be found there. Good luck!

Goob83

None
all these questions have been ask and answered 1000 times

Search a little.

i am planning on taking the astb after winter break. I am going to get the study materials and study about 2 hours every day 7days a week minimum until the break ends then take the test. Will that be enough time? i got a 84 on the practice asfab i took in the recruiters office. They said it was good, but does that score somewhat correlate to the astb.

also i will be applying for ocs and aviation, does this mean i am applying for pilot, or pilot and navigator and other aviation jobs.

also im planning on getting pilot licenses if i get into ocs or not because i want to fly commercial jets someday. If i was a navy navigator, could i still get a pilot job with a major airliner job easily after i get out of the navy. i want to be a comercial pilot with navy or not

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
i got a 84 on the practice asfab i took in the recruiters office.

If you want to be an Officer, make sure you are talking with the right recruiter. If he is having you take the asvab, you are probably in the wrong place. Find an officer recruiter.

P.s. I am not one to rip someones spelling and grammer, but you are a college student. You can improve a bit. I thought you were a high school freshman.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

Welcome to AW. As several previous posters have mentioned, many of these topics have been covered before. Using the 'Search' function would help you find many of these answers. If you have any specific questions that you can't find an answer for, feel free to ask.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
First of all, if your going into aviation, you can be a pilot or a NFO. SNA=pilot

The Arco books are definitely going to be you #1 source for study. Buy as many editions as you can find and study up. Take a practice test every few days, studying in between. After you take the practice tests, go back over all of the stuff you missed and work it until you know what you did wrong and can do it the next time around. Then, go on to the next test.

*When you are taking these practice tests, follow the time limits that are posted on the tests for each section. It helps you get a feel for what the real thing will be like.

If you have a pretty strong aviation background or general knowledge, there isn't any need to spend a lot of time studying that. By a strong background, I mean you are a private pilot, know all the military aircraft and their jobs. If you are new to aviation, study the basics such as the forces of flight, the parts of an airplane and what they do.

As far as nautical info, I don't know a lick about boats. I studied only the info in the Arco books and did just fine.

*Know historic space events, such as the first man and woman in space, first man to orbit the earth, and first man on the moon.

*Do well on the math as it counts heavily toward your score.

Hope that helps a little.

jooman360

marine or navy ocs

i want to be a military pilot. What would give me the best chances of being a pilot and also what is the differences in paths to becoming a pilot. Navy ocs makes me worried that i won't be a pilot. Im worried about marine ocs because im worried that i might get cut. Do the marines guarantee a spot for aviation school. and does that mean if i made it through marine aviation school i would be a pilot, and not a navigator or a flight officer although that would still be sweet. and when do you sign the contracts for the marines and the navy. are they both after ocs and after you have been assigned aviation school or whatever school that would be

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i want to be a military pilot. What would give me the best chances of being a pilot and also what is the differences in paths to becoming a pilot. Navy ocs makes me worried that i won't be a pilot. Im worried about marine ocs because im worried that i might get cut. Do the marines guarantee a spot for aviation school. and does that mean if i made it through marine aviation school i would be a pilot, and not a navigator or a flight officer although that would still be sweet. and when do you sign the contracts for the marines and the navy. are they both after ocs and after you have been assigned aviation school or whatever school that would be

Please do a search, the answers to all of your questions are just a search or two away. Keywords like OCS, pilot contract and air contract are your friend.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Please do a search, the answers to all of your questions are just a search or two away. Keywords like OCS, pilot contract and air contract are your friend.

After you do, please feel free to ask any other specific questions you couldn't find the answers to.

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
After reading you other posts, it seems you haven't been following the advice already given and making the same inquiries in renamed threads. If you are serious about pursuing a military aviation path, follow the advice given and stop asking the same questions without putting forth any effort to find the answer for yourself.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
OK I have one 4 letter acronymn for you: BDCP

That will take ANY yut yut out of your devil dog.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Search, ask, search (vice "shoot, look, shoot")

i want to be a military pilot. What would give me the best chances of being a pilot and also what is the differences in paths to becoming a pilot.

Both the Navy and Marine Corps have programs that select you for flight school (with a contract) before you go to OCS so that shouldn't be your worry. You should, however, realize that OCS takes preparation and commitment as does flight school and operational service thereafter.

Neither "Naval" service OCS is a piece of cake and if you search the forum, you'll be able to read lots of stories of what it takes to get ready, make it through OCS, work through injuries, etc. as well as how the selection process works and when you get a contract and all the other details. Like others said, do some homework as the forum is designed to be a rich resource for you to tap vice asking basic questions that have been asked many times before.

Mav0130

complete personal choice. you should really ask yourself why you want to do military aviation. If you dont want to be a marine officer more than you want to be a pilot, you will never make it through OCS. I think it is probably the same for navy OCS. Get motivated about something.