• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not an easy answer. Both will give you a guaranteed contract if selected SNA or NFO. Both will give you the best military training available. However, only the Marine Corps will challenge you mentally and physically in ways you never thought possible. OCS is a screening and evaluation process which is 10 weeks long. If your intelligent, physically strong, and have tough skin then you can get through. Only 10 weeks of being treated like crap. After this comes The Basic School (TBS). Six months of training how to be a rifle platoon commander. The saying, "all Marines are riflemen", comes to life at TBS. This is six months long and challenges you even further. If you can make it through OCS, you can make it through this. TBS will help you not only become a leader, but a leader of Marines; The greatest job in the world. Additionally, TBS will teach you what "Officership" really means. If you can get throgh OCS and TBS, then you can say you earned the right to go to flight school in Pensacola.

Yut yut, devil dog, yut, Orahhh, Yut!!

phrogpilot73

It takes more than physical toughness to make it in aviation. If a phrog guy busting your balls a little makes you pissed, you'll be truly harassed in a ready room.
While the ball busting may get heinous at times, I've never seen a Harrier get his panties in a bunch... You have to take it to give it...

If a winged Marine (except Kbay) gives me shit, they have EARNED their wings and EARNED the right to bust balls.
I must break you.
Apparently, I already have.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Let's see.... I did work at the OG to pay my way through college. Just a side note on that, hostess' and servers love to party. Anyways, finished OCS during the winter and earned a competitive air slot at TBS. Definately not the expert, but just offering a little advice if thats ok by you 46-driver. Always nice to see a fellow Marine throw another under the bus though. That's good trash. Oh, and 5 months of crossfit and your personal best is 220lbs. Thats great sweetheart. Let me know when you want to come lift on the side of the gym where the guys are?

Dude, you're just crying because you got housed. Shut up and get my spaghetti.

I do Crossfit, but have done it for a lot longer than 5 months. The only time I've had trouble with 220 is when I had to lift your mom into bed. I don't know where you came up with that business. If you're part of the beach-muscle crowd that lives and dies by "bench," I max at 325. Not olympic-level, but not bad for an old man with about 13 years in.

"Sweethart," YOU can come over to the men's side of the Marine Corps when you have your wings, and maybe an Air Medal and/or C.A.R.

Your first post was fine, just thought it was funny looking at it in the context of your profile. ALL you had to say was that it was out of date.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Dude, you're just crying because you got housed. Shut up and get my spaghetti.

I do Crossfit, but have done it for a lot longer than 5 months. The only time I've had trouble with 220 is when I had to lift your mom into bed. I don't know where you came up with that business. If you're part of the beach-muscle crowd that lives and dies by "bench," I max at 325. Not olympic-level, but not bad for an old man with about 13 years in.

"Sweethart," YOU can come over to the men's side of the Marine Corps when you have your wings, and maybe an Air Medal and/or C.A.R.

Your first post was fine, just though it was funny looking at it in the context of your profile. ALL you had to say was that it was out of date.

I think Phrogdriver must have worked at the Olive Garden too, Ric, 'cause you just got SERVED.

More breadsticks? No? Just the check? :D

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
With a favorite quote like "Are you looking at my BALLS?" I can most assuredly say that he is one of the many tools I encountered while attending ERAU Prescott.....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With a favorite quote like "Are you looking at my BALLS?" I can most assuredly say that he is one of the many tools I encountered while attending ERAU Prescott.....

Wow, even Bogey is calling him out.........:eek:

MasterBates

Wow.. Joboy's in Hot.. And ripping on you.

That is a sign you have been talking waaaay too much smack, are an ÜberTool or a sign of the Apocalypse.

jooman360

Air force opportunities

ok so the past few months i have been reaseaching paths to becoming a military pilot. I narrowed it down to navy and marines a long time ago, but i recently spoke with a navy navigator in training and a former navigator one said helos are 40% and the other said 60%. I only want fixed wing so now im looking at the airforce. i know these questions have probably been answered but it is finals week and i don't have time to look

From what i heard the Air force has hardly any helos is that true?
Do I apply for pilot and OTS like in the navy and the marines OCS or I apply for OTS and then just see what job I would get.
Can I take the AFOQT and find out if I can become a pilot through AFROTC before signing up?
Do they have a guarenteed slot in flight school like navy and marines?
Is there anything else i should know about becoming an AF pilot or about the AF?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
ok so the past few months i have been reaseaching paths to becoming a military pilot. I narrowed it down to navy and marines a long time ago, but i recently spoke with a navy navigator in training and a former navigator one said helos are 40% and the other said 60%. I only want fixed wing so now im looking at the airforce. i know these questions have probably been answered but it is finals week and i don't have time to look

From what i heard the Air force has hardly any helos is that true?
Do I apply for pilot and OTS like in the navy and the marines OCS or I apply for OTS and then just see what job I would get.
Can I take the AFOQT and find out if I can become a pilot through AFROTC before signing up?
Do they have a guarenteed slot in flight school like navy and marines?
Is there anything else i should know about becoming an AF pilot or about the AF?
This is a site about Naval Aviation. We can't help too much with AF stuff. You might try www.baseops.net.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I can say that they have hardly any helos...poor bastards.

They are a small part of the AF arsenal, and getting smaller, as the CV-22 replaces the last of the 53s.

A lot of the helo pilots they do have are lateral transfers from the Army, so the chance of getting them as an initial accession, unless you really want it, are pretty small.

Tactical387

good go away. haha. makes it easier on me.

to answer your questions though, I was a candidate for the AFA a few short years ago...so I guess really i've been involved in every single service...except the cg.

-The air force DOES have helicopters...which you are gonna have to start calling choppers... and it has quite a few. Im not sure exactly what the ratio is but I can say with reasonable confidence that going air force will not actually increase your likelihood of flying fixed wing by an incredible amount. It does add an extra factor which we dont really have to worry about yet-drones...grrrr...
-I believe, but am not sure at all, that you would go to ots and then would be selected for flight training, because it is so widespread in the AF. I have heard that it is harder to get aviation in the AF because EVERYBODY goes into the AF wanting to fly, but I dont have numbers to back that up.
-You cannot take the aviation test for afrotc before going in, but you can take it during your time there and run for a flight spot like that. They do not have guaranteed aviation spots as far as I know, simply because of the huge volume of wannabe aviators they get, they wanna pick the very best at the end of their officer training. It is the same way in army rotc.
-you should know that the af blows. haha. no but seriously professionalism was an issue for me when i was looking at the af. They are aviators first and officers because they have to be, which is kind of the opposite of the navy and marines.
Anyway good luck, semper flying or whatever, and btw I dont endorse or assure the accuracy of any of this information.