• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

chelu55

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to get some opinions on my chances of getting accepted to OCS.
Well first of all, I have a misdeminor charge in 1999 (posession of cannabis), ouch! However, I am getting a degree in biology with a 3.0. Plus I am in the Physic and Pre-med club.

I have also been a team captain in my high school and college football team. Moreover, I have coached 8th grade football and soccer (8 and under). For volunteer work I have done habitate for humanity, visited nursing homes, and motivational speeches to middle school kids.

As far as a work experience I have been in the same job for two years and recently got a scholorship as a lab tech. for the Dean of Natural Sciences (college) that deals with radioactive material (high responibilities).

With just looking at this, what would you guys and girls think of my chances as being competitive. I plan on taking the ASTB on August 1st.

1devildoc

You would need to get an Exception to policy/ waiver, (even if you had just tried drugs once).
I don't know much else, talk to your OSO, and if he thinks you have a shot then he will put a package in for you.

O-man

Dont worry about that dope charge- and when you have to write out why you have that charge- just say that it was a short lived stink in which you wanted to see what all the hype about pot was- and quickly found it was not for you. (and would'nt ya' know it- you had a run in with the law during that time-) If your good to go in all other areas- your gonna be Fine. I have a waiver for it (though I was not stoopit' enough to let the cops put there hands on me ever...I just didnt want to flat out lie and say I had never done it) and I got accepted to OCC and the enlisted side just fine.

chelu55

O-man,
I like your choice of words on what you recommend. Since you werent stupid enough to get caught HA HA. Anyways, thanks.

Goofytallguy

Tired of 'What are my chances?' questions...

Is anyone else tired of all the 'what are my chances' questions? Instead of attacking the people who have posted such questions, I'll try to explain with my own situation. Everyone has some less than perfect quality in terms of pursuing an aviator position. In my case, I'm officially 6'5" (unofficially taller), my vision is somewhere in the vicinity of 20/400 (I squinted to get measured at 20/200 and get aircrew) and although I got a 99 on my ASVAB, the current state of my high school diploma (while acceptable for entering the Navy), is less than ideal in terms of applying to college.

My point is this... from everything I've gathered, the only way a person becomes a Naval Aviator is with determination and persistence, going absolutely all the way to do whatever is possible. So what possible difference could it make if a person has a couple of less desirable items on their application? Nothing changes the fact that you have to give 100%. Asking 'what are my chances' tells me that a person might choose not to give the effort to go all the way if the chances turn out to be poor. To me, that doesn't sound like the way to get very far.

My intention here is not to anger anyone who's made such posts or cause any arguments. It's simply frustrating to watch people complain about setbacks smaller than mine, and I am thankful that my negative points aren't even worse; I recognize there are people with worse circumstances than mine. But my philosophy has always been this... First, can I qualify, however remote the chances, for the position I want. If the answer is yes, then someone with my particular disadvantage has been accepted, and I need to decide if I'm going to be one of those rare instances, or if I'm going to give up because my chances are low. Look for a way to do something, not a reason why you can't.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I'd take it easy on them. They're not asking "why they can't", they just want to hear somebody tell them "Listen, it's not that bad, just go for it." I was one of those people, I thought obtaining an aviation slot was something way out of reach, but now I know that it is perfectly obtainable and in my ability to make the changes needed to reach my goal. All I needed to hear was a "you can make it" from somebody who's been through it already and I got that from the people on this site. So the answer is no, I'm not tired of these questions.

"Push the stick foward, the houses get bigger; pull back, the houses get smaller... unless you keep pulling back, then they get bigger again."

kevin

i would agree with you to a certain extent. i just think that people want it so bad (sna, snfo, swo, whatever) that they just want to talk and hear others talk. even if i ask "the question" and people say i suck and dont have a chance, id still go for it. i think most people here are that way. but it's just the inherent desire to want feedback and compare yourself to others, i quess. you know, like if you have a problem and you sit down and talk to someone and at the end of your speel they say, "ok, what the hell was the point of what you just said for the last hour" and you say, "oh nothing, but thanks i feel better." i get so damn anxious about this stuff sometimes that all i want to do is hear other people say anything, ANYTHING, regarding the subject.

kevin

good point. id like to add that it's good to hear reassurance or affirmation from someone else if it's accurate (particularly from the selection board!).

Meridiani

Yes, I must say that I am tired of the "what are my chances" threads. In fact, in an effort to stem the tide of such threads over at www.usnavyocs.com , I've included it as a Frequently Asked Question:

------------------------------------------
My credentials are: (fill in the blank). What are my chances for acceptance to OCS?

This is the $64,000 question, and by far the most common question asked. Unfortunately, there is no good answer. Applications for OCS are accepted on a competitive basis, and it is difficult to predict the up-to-the-minute needs of the Navy as well as the quality of the pool of applications available at any given time. Your officer recruiter can give you insight into the competitiveness of your application and guide you in highlighting your strengths and downplaying your weaknesses. The best advice anyone can give you is to apply, and if rejected, apply again (and again!).
-----------------------------------------

However, even though I myself have gotten tired of responding to these threads, and will no longer do so, it's great to see that there are always people who are willing to step in and give encouragement to the newbies looking for reassurance.
icon_smile.gif

spsiratt

24 April OCS
Ok, I have to admit, I was one of those people who asked that question. I didn't ask because I needed confirmation that I should apply. I asked because only a few days before I called the recruiter, I had been turned down for AF OTS. I've got 9 years active duty AF in a very difficult career field, career enlisted aircrew, an outstanding record and recommendations, and medals out the wazoo. Everyone thought I was a sure thing for AF OTS. The base education services officer said I had the best package she's ever put together and none of that mattered. I think all that anyone is looking for is assurance that they aren't competing with a bunch of Yale grads with 4.0 GPAs in Physics, 70 OAR, 20/20 vision, 300 PRT, LORs from the President and 3 Senators, and volunteer experience they gained while in the Peace Corps after a year in the NFL. It's nice to know what you're competing with and just to hear someone say that it's not a sure thing, but your chances look good (or in some cases bad, let's be honest). We all know the worst part of this whole thing is the waiting. At least with a half-assed idea of what to expect, it's a little easier. Encouragement can really help those who are already a little dodgy about the whole thing. Ok, I've rambled enough, carry on.

By the way, I've been pro rec'd for SNFO and Stacy... you were the one who told me to just do it. Would have done it anyway, but it was nice to have you say it. Thanks.

Meridiani

Congrats, and you're welcome! That's so awesome. I figured people just ignored all my hot air...it's nice to know I've been at least a little useful.
icon_smile_wink.gif

andrew

It usually isnt "what are my chances? its more like hey?? does anyone on this forum have some great info. which might help me to increase my chances of getting into the position which we all individually want so bad, or else we would probably not be here reading all of the responses and questions on this board. I think its great for people to ask, because it just might give them a competitive advantage in this highly competitive environment.

Attilla

Bear in mind that most new people like myself have pretty decent backgrounds in math. A big struggle for new grads entering the "real" world is realizing that empiracle data and quantitative results often barely scratch the surface of what we realy want to know. The black and white textbook examples have given-way to grey area and qualitative answers.
-just a thought

"Would you like some fresh grated Romano cheese with your entree?"

1devildoc

For the most part everyone on this forum offers good advice. For my husband and I, we have been living in a state of limbo for the last year as he finished up his package and applied. When you want something so bad it is easy to get completely wrapped up in it. The people here understand all of that, because they are currently going through a similar situation, or have in the past. I know my husband has an excellent chance of getting picked up, and it has been so great to hear words of encouragement during those times I thought I was going out of my mind. Everyone has questions, this is a safe place to ask them. But the truth of the matter is...You just need to apply reguardless of what you or anyone else thinks yous chances are. If you are ment to be an officer than you will get it. If not, be the best civilian you an possibly be.