• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick

First of all, let me say: Michigan State sucks. Heh, just kidding.

Anyway, since you posted your resume, I see some obvious things to point out that I can't let go.

1) Keep it to a page. Period.

2) List things in relevant order: Education, Professional Exp, Tech Skills, Languages. (For someone who has been working for a while and looking for a new job, education goes to the bottom of the resume.)

3) Can all the high school stuff. Takes up way too much space and a potential employer wants to see what you're doing in college, not what kind of high school superstar you were. Plus it looks bad that you have listed all these leadership things from high school, then have none from college.

4) Get rid of the "expected" in front your graduation date, and just list it instead.

5) College GPA: There's the old trick, if it's better than 3.0 list it, if it's not, don't. However, if you don't list it, employers are going to wonder and probably assume it's worse than it is. Since you said in your post it's a 3.7X, that's something that should be listed and at the top of your resume in the education section.

6) Objective. This is usually a good part to put under your name, it's should be a brief statement as to what you're looking for, i.e. "To obtain a summer internship in the communications field..."

Good luck with your application, and since you're interested in joining the Navy, the resume part isn't important, but if you're looking for a summer internship, the resume is what employers scan to see if this person is worth interviewing. If it's unorganized or a mess, the employer is going to move on.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
To be fair, I don't think he is planning on sending the curriculum vitae in, it's just for info.

Also, a CV is supposed to be at least 2 pages...it's not a resume. Having said that, if you're going to send something in, don't send the CV, send a resume. CVs are really for academia so you can list publications etc.

Nuance police out.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
have you taken the officer exams yet? You will need to this first to see where you stand with-in the Navy's eye.

jooman360

The many questions of Jooman

i am a freshman in college this is my first semester i just took some general eds. I want to become a professional pilot for a major airline eventually. i am going to apply to ocs and try to get aviation i have a 3.5 gpa and got a 84 on the asfab just to see how i would do and have not yet taken the astb. i will not do ocs unless i knew for sure i would do aviation school after ocs. my questions are

1how important is an aviation major in the in the commercial aviation industry?
2How good are my chances at getting into OCS?
3Do i apply for aviation and ocs and then i would get aviation or is there a chance that i would not get aviation in the navy? i don't want to get screwed over
4Will an aviation major increase my chances of navy aviation after ocs?
5 When is a good time to take the astb at christmas break or the beginning of the summer?

I can't answer all of your questions, but...

2) Your chances of getting into OCS depend entirely on your personal situation, including but not limited to GPA, major, OCS scores, and personal fitness.

3) You apply for a Student Naval Aviatior slot and OCS at the same time. If you are accepted to OCS, it is as a SNA. However, there is no guarantee that you will not be medically or physically disqualified from aviation after you enter OCS. The Navy is not here just to give you what you want or be a means to an end. It's not a matter of getting screwed over or not.

4) See #3. Technical degrees help, but people have certainly gotten into OCS without them.

5) The best time to take the ASTB depends on how quickly you can prepare yourself. You will have to study for it, but some need more study time than others. If I remember correctly, your scores are only applicable for a limited time (someone please correct me if this is wrong), so make sure that you are ready to do everything during the required period.

FastMover

NFO
None
Pick a major that YOU like, not what you think will get you an aviation slot in the Navy. Just make sure that you work hard and keep your grades up in whatever you pick.

When to take the ASTB depends on how familiar you are with airplanes and aviation in general. If you already know the basics then you would probably only need two or three weeks to brush up on the math, mechanical comp, etc. If it's all completely new to you then you may want to take a couple of months. You get three tries on the ASTB and your scores are good for life.

k_smittay

i will not do ocs unless i knew for sure i would do aviation school after ocs.

Nothing is for sure, plus the Navy wants to ensure your going to be a good officer first and foremost. Officer first and pilot second, that is the name of the game.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I want to become a professional pilot for a major airline eventually.
1how important is an aviation major in the in the commercial aviation industry?
Do you want to be a knife-wielding, SIG-packing, bomb-dropping warrior or do you want to nit-noid your push back time while hoping you get weathered over in Miami? The Navy trains pilots to be combat aviators and shouldn't be a STEPPING STONE to beocme an airline pilot.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What other people are hinting at is what a soldier told me when I first started thinking about applying for a commission: if you're gonna join the military, do it cuz you wanna join the military. Don't do it because you want to get a scholarship or because you want to beef up your resume for something else. Yea, those might be nice perks of the job, but you can also obtain them in other ways. You should only apply for a commission if you want to be an officer.

Now for your questions:

1. I don't know
2. No one can really tell you that, since the competition is dynamic. What is acceptable one month might be discarded the next. If you maintain that 3.5 gpa, you should be in good shape. Just be advised that pilot slots are highly sought positions, so do your best in school and get involved in other stuff as well.
3. You apply for specific officer designations. You will know before signing the contract what type of officer slot you got. So yes, if you get accepted as a Naval aviator, you will be on track to be a pilot. The only way you won't become a pilot is if you fail out somewhere along the course of training.
4. For aviation, the degree type doesn't matter that much. The Navy likes technical degrees in general, and they might be required for nuke (I have a tech degree so I'm not really sure whether it's desired or required) but you don't need one for pilot.
5. Take the ASTB when you are ready. When I first approached my officer recruiter center, the chief there just told me to come in 3 days later and take it before giving me any other information, which I did because I didn't know any better. Don't fall for that bs. Hell, here I am awaiting the VIP trip for nuke so my app can finally get processed and I don't even need the ASTB.

phrogpilot73

Do you want to be a knife-wielding, SIG-packing, bomb-dropping warrior or do you want to nit-noid your push back time while hoping you get weathered over in Miami? The Navy trains pilots to be combat aviators and shouldn't be a STEPPING STONE to beocme an airline pilot.
Sounds more like a Marine to me ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to be a military aviator, then keep the grades up and the weight down, good luck and godspeed. You can major in Art Philosophy and be a Navy pilot if you like, but it had better be a really high GPA with some science/engineering electives. If you waltz in with a bull$hit major and a 2.0 and you haven't done any math since high school, the recruiters aren't going to ask themselves "Is this guy smart enough to make it?" but rather, "Is this guy willing to do the work to make it?" Make no mistake - OCS and flight school require a lot of work. That's "work" not "smarts". Do not expect to coast through just because you're smarter than the average bear.

If you really want to be a commercial pilot, then apply to a civil flight school. Don't waste the government's time and money. Becoming a military aviator isn't a scholarship program for Delta.