• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Your chances are....(penalty box for those who can't help asking about their chances)

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Given that recruiting offices are not always the most efficient at distributing information, it's only natural that applicants look elsewhere for gouge. Also, the information posted on Airwarriors.com, though not always accurate, is not skewed by recruiting quotas or incentives. Nobody here is going to try to convince a Pilot wannabe that he would be better off as an NFO or a Nuke. Most people here say: "If it's your dream, then go for it and make it happen."

That said, people could always use the SEARCH function more before asking a question that's been answered already. But that seems to be a symptom of most online boards.
-Greg

royjones

"What are my chances?" This is a great question. If you have a goal in life that many only dream of, you have a tendency to have the want to talk to others obout it. I can't tell you the times that i looked over to my wife and asked her, "what do you think". Yes, we all need encouragement and good feed back. In my opinon the person what started this conversation is not a team player. Is this the kind of person that would leave me behind in combat, because I asked for help. Maybe, he is just to young to understand others. Yes, the wait is the nasty part of the whole thing. I'm just starting mine. Good luck to everyone, I wish you all the best.....

Go Navy.......

goldwingdreams

I appreciate both the question and all the encourgaing replies. For me every little bit is a help. This forum has been a godsend in that I see other people out there who are just as worried as I am about their applications. It provides much need perspective in a world of uncertainty. I'm convinced that if I can survive the waiting and worrying, nothing the Navy can throw at me will ever knock me down.

Thanks to all who are willing to help those of us dedicated to becoming the next generation of American warfighters.

While I didn't exactly go "what are my chances," the point is I've seen that a lot of these topic posters are acting on misleading information and/or are discouraged. Personally it helped me a lot when guys like EA6B(one of em, there must be like 4 of them on the site), gatordev, and EODDave basically said "You're gonna regret it if you don't try" when I first came on this site.

On the other hand, it would be nice if they could use more original titles. :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Allright, let me personally kill this one right here and now....

What is the purpose of this site?
- To promote Naval Aviation, or anyone interested in a career in the Navy or Marine Corps.
- A resource and information site for friends and family members of those going through the program.
- To serve as a communications medium to exchange information and advice.

The Navy I am in promotes mentorship and assisting those that want to set a goal and make something happen. Something I will not tolerate, and don't want this forum EVER devolving into, is a site that "shuts down on" people's questions or concerns. You have heard it before, "there are no stupid questions", well for the person making that post, however irritating it may be to some of you, it is a legitimate concern to that person.

In many cases you have individuals that are running into brick walls, can't get the information they require, or finally finding an avenue to talk to others about their goals/dreams, they want to get feedback on other's experiences and results. Whether it is from a fellow "newbie" still applying, someone that has applied multiple times and did or did not get it, or the servicemember who faintly recalls what they did, but wants to wish some encouragement.

I would NOT be a Naval Aviator right now if it wasn't for my NROTC Commanding Officer answering my "what are my chances?" question. I was an older ECP student, with concern over eyesight and passing the exam. Trivial to others, but a HUGE decision to me, stake all my chips on that, or go for something else in service selection? Luckily I had the support I needed at the time I needed it most. I know I am a "Type A", goal setting overachiever, but damnit, if it wasn't for the help I have recieved all throughout my career, I would not be a Naval Officer right now, and definitely not a pilot. Teamwork, and taking pride in assisting your peers and those coming behind you is what it is all about. Outside of integrity, I think it is one of the most telling marks of a successful leader.

Personally, these threads along with the "OCS CLASS insert date" threads are the last I usually look at (I barely have enough time to browse a few of the topics, let alone all of them), but most of my replies have come down to "better apply or you will go through life wondering..." That plus the fact that there are few ppl on this forum that my commissioning source and experiences could directly benefit, since I did not apply for OCS.

All the answers are definitely not here, in some cases it is the blind leading the blind. But in many cases (and I have a stack of emails that back me up on this) it comes down to getting pointed in the right direction to get the question answered or the motivation to go for it. Does it hurt anyone to answer those posts? If it is frustrating to see them, just don't click on them.

Best of luck to all in making their goals a reality, and keep those posts coming, I for one will definitely be reading them and provide advice/encouragement (also known as a swift kick in the butt).

04Hopeful

EA3 -> IS3 -> Intel O1(hopefully)
Webmaster,

Thanks so much for doing such a bang up job on this forum(website), I personally know how much work it is, and you are a Naval aviator on top of that. Hopefully I will get to shake your hand in the fleet one day.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
yup i agree. kudos on the website. I wish this site were around when i was in high school. I applied, took the tests, physical, interview, etc for the NROTC on my own without the help of anyone even a recruiter. I believe this site can make that transition tons easier than it was with me in any field. You know us "Type A's", we never wanna ask for help.

surfinillini

Seriously, What Are My Chances

Whats up everyone. This is addressed to people who were accepted into OCS or are in touch with reality and I want to know what my chances are to get accepted later in the fall.

I just graduated the University of Illinois with a degree in Aviation/Psychology with a 2.9 GPA.

I have over 280 hours of flight time, Commerical, CFI, CFII, Multiengine, Instrument rating, the works.

I got 1150 on my SATs in high school, am in good shape (have not done the PFT test yet but foresee a good test) and have good extracirriculur and reccomendations.

I have just begun my app and am going to turn it in mid July.

The one thing I'm worried about is that I got an underage drinking ticket my freshman year. Not a misdemeanor, just a city ordinance violation so how bad is this going to look.

My recruiter says I have a good chance but seriously here, what are my chances.

Thanks everyone

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
You have a good chance, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about the underage drinking ticket, especially since it wasn't even a misdemeanor. Based on your flying experience, you should have no trouble getting an air contract. Make sure that PFT is is about 270 or above. The PFT will play a big role in whether or not you are accepted.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
surfinillini said:
WThe one thing I'm worried about is that I got an underage drinking ticket my freshman year. Not a misdemeanor, just a city ordinance violation so how bad is this going to look.

My recruiter says I have a good chance but seriously here, what are my chances.

Thanks everyone

If you are honest about it, it should be negligible. The powers that be know we're all humans and have made mistakes in the past.

surfinillini

thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

My marine receruiter has been really hands on. He does a run with me at 8am once a week and he knows how motivated I am. I just don't want to go into this thinking its guaranteed or anything.

I haven't taken the ASTB yet but I'm pretty sharp and have like 5 books plus gouge for it so I'm not as stressed about that rather the physical stuff.

later

crysmc

MH-60S Pilot Wife
Super Moderator
Contributor
surfinillini~
They seem to be pretty lenient about minor ticket sort of stuff. Two people I knew, who were both accepted had some prior legal trouble. One had a couple of speeding tickets and a ticket (that was dismissed I think) for urinating in public. The other guy had something minor but slightly outrageous, like 10 speeding tickets. So neither had any serious legal troubles, but they were honest and things were fine.