• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Murtha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard some dude started a "Hug from Taylor Swift" FB page and he actually got one. I bet he kicked his own ass for not asking for more.

Proof that social media can change our world, at least for horny teenagers. Why don't you start up the FB group? Chicken? Or just a pussy?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I generally believe that there should be a waiting period of about 10 years after a politician has died before we all go name-crazy. Don't get me started on naming things after people while they're still alive (yes, I'm talking about you, Senator Byrd), e.g. the USS George H.W. Bush. I think we were all better off when the Navy had fairly strict guidelines on what ships in each class were named after. If we must name them after people, we should lean towards military heroes--at least those are more appropos.

I'm reminded though, of what someone said when asked why the Navy stopped naming submarines after fish. "Fish don't vote!"

hokifire

I generally believe that there should be a waiting period of about 10 years after a politician has died before we all go name-crazy.

I think that's an excellent idea. I always figured that naming a ship, stadium, or highway had more to do with reminding us to try to live up to their example than giving the namesake an "award" for their achievements (not that that's also unwarranted).

CAMike

None
Contributor
What about the USS HARRY S TRUMAN??? He cancelled the USS UNITED STATES in favor of USAF primacy in nuclear stike capability!!! This lead to the Revolt of the Admiral's and the CNO lost his job because of it.

The Navy named an aircraft carrier after a man who CANCELLED a whole class of carriers, so you think that Murtha's comments will be a show stopper?? I could not disagree more.

Agree or disagree- Murtha's recent actions were reckless, unprofessional and harmful. Several service members suffered as a result of his reckless conduct as well as America's reputation abroad. Those who pursue naming a warship in memory of his dishonorable service should expect substantial negative feedback.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
Why don't you start up the FB group? Chicken? Or just a pussy?
You mean the one asking for a magic evening with Taylor Swift? I'm happily married, so I'll have to pass. As for the "No to USS MURTHA" site, I'm slightly more inclined, but way too lazy.

Will_T

Will_T
PropAddict,
I know, me too, I have one of the books describing the affair, but if you look also at her war record, she was extremely important to the war effort, she kicked butt in the pacific. But yeah, still much better then Murtha (why dont we just call the USS Martha Stewart?).
Will.

KBayDog

Ship names should be chosen via random drawing from a pool of Fletch aliases. We've already got Truman, so we're off to a good start.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I sent in a letter to my congressman... He's featured in the middle of this man-sandwhich.
orleans.jpg

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
This isn't going to withstand the test of time. No way. Seriously who would accept command of that ship? A gung ho SWO? No!

Agree or disagree- Murtha's recent actions were reckless, unprofessional and harmful. Several service members suffered as a result of his reckless conduct as well as America's reputation abroad. Those who pursue naming a warship in memory of his dishonorable service should expect substantial negative feedback.

My point was in regards to your statement asking if anyone would be willing to take command of the USS MURTHA.

I feel naming a ship after this individual is wrong, but when has that ever stopped the government for doing something?

Since the politics of naming ships is all dependant on who's in power, this is what happens.

When you need funding for a CVN under Democratic leadership, you get the TRUMAN.

When you have a leadership that is 'left of center', you'll get a ship named after someone who was 'left of center'.

I feel that your comment that no one would take command of this ship is a bit unrealistic and that's all I was trying to say.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The Brits have always had the right idea about what to name their ships. Illustrious, Resistence, Goliath, Furious etc... We have it ass backwards... What Marine wouldn't be proud to be on the latest LPD: the USS Puller? But no, we named an FFG after him, then decommed it and sold it to the Egyptians...

Status
Not open for further replies.