• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Urban Legends

Crowbar

None
jg5343 said:
1) this is true for admin/general discharges, but there is some loophole paperwork that has to be submitted to make it happen.

2) the GI bll kicks ass and covers what ever you want it to cover. They just cut you a check every month you are enrolled in school. Spend it how you like.

3) for a lot of schools all you need is an english and a couple of electives and you can get a AA from that Navy friendly JC that just wants the $200 for the piece of paper.

4) mostly true for E-1/2/3 in the beginning. Many people got married to classmates in GM 'A' school just to get off that horrid base for 6 months.

Sucker. I can't believe you still buy all of that.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Crowbar said:
Sucker. I can't believe you still buy all of that.

Its all good if you are just pushngmy buttons, but....

All of what I said is true. I have recieved the GI bill so have personal experience with it. I also went to GM 'A' school and have a certificate for college credit hours recieved, only recognized by maybe 3 schools on the planet, but still count some where. I think the school is San Diego CC or JC or something, maybe someone can help me with that.
The bread and water thing was on my Div-O test in OCS so I know that is true. And the info on the discharge came from the same class to help those who didn't make it through OCS.

Crowbar

None
And I, as usual, speak from no experience (end sarcasm here).

Where did I say anything about admin/general discharges? I've always heard that, but have never seen anything official.
How is ~$600 to $1000 each month going to cover all of your expenses? I'm not talking about tuition. I'm talking about house notes, car payments, utilities, etc etc. (I have experience with the GI Bill myself).
There are a few diploma mills that will give you a few credits for your training. I went through avionics training (some of the most technical training besides nuke people can get) and SUI gave me a whopping 27 credit hours when I became an inspector. 27 whole hours. That's just a little short of an English class and a few electives. The CC I went to gave me 6 hours. When I went to a 'real' university, I got around 2 hours. (See, I also have experience with this.)
Explain how moving out in town to get (arbitrary numbers here) $1000 in BAH and BAS will make you money when you then have to spend $1000 in rent, and $300-$500 in utilities, rent, food, and other expenses, support a family because a large percentage of military wives don't work, especially in the beginning of their spouse's career... (I also have experience with this one, too).

Thanks for proving my point, though.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ryoukai said:
While the thread is on the topic of haircuts, what's with the Army guys I see here using gel to slick that little bit of hair in the front down on their foreheads like if they don't it'll fly away?

And I quote: "It's not mousse, it's styling gel"

Oh, of course, like that makes a difference....

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Not sure if you were kidding here or not, but E-3 and below are most certainly capable of being put on B&W. That is 100% in the regs.

HELLO, HELLO...urban legend thread....

Schnugg

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
All of what I said is true. Blah, blah, blah...

Aka.. Once upon a time....er rather in this forum thread..."This ain't no Sh1t, but..."

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Crowbar said:
And I, as usual, speak from no experience (end sarcasm here).

Where did I say anything about admin/general discharges? I've always heard that, but have never seen anything official.
How is ~$600 to $1000 each month going to cover all of your expenses? I'm not talking about tuition. I'm talking about house notes, car payments, utilities, etc etc. (I have experience with the GI Bill myself).
There are a few diploma mills that will give you a few credits for your training. I went through avionics training (some of the most technical training besides nuke people can get) and SUI gave me a whopping 27 credit hours when I became an inspector. 27 whole hours. That's just a little short of an English class and a few electives. The CC I went to gave me 6 hours. When I went to a 'real' university, I got around 2 hours. (See, I also have experience with this.)
Explain how moving out in town to get (arbitrary numbers here) $1000 in BAH and BAS will make you money when you then have to spend $1000 in rent, and $300-$500 in utilities, rent, food, and other expenses, support a family because a large percentage of military wives don't work, especially in the beginning of their spouse's career... (I also have experience with this one, too).

Thanks for proving my point, though.

The GI bill at $1100 a month gives you roughly $4400 a semester. With a full load at a state school you could easily pay for living in the cheapest dorm, eating fairly well for a college kid, and pay for all you books and tuition. (we had a $900 a semester dorm, ~$2500 tuition, $500 for books, and $125/month for food, more if you didn't buy ALL the books)

I agree with you about the college hours, A&M gave me sh1t. However, if you just want an associates so you can make chief, etc.. Then there are places that will 'give' you up to 40 hours for your training. I found a link to an Oceanography Technology AA designed specific for Navy Divers that gives you 40 of 60 hours. Thats a pretty good deal. You could easily finish 20 hours in 2 semesters.
http://mil.ccc.cccd.edu/roadmaps/navydivers_roadmaps.pdf

The people I knew that got married rented really cheap places and made a few hundred a month. Nothing huge, but they also got COMRATS instead of a meal card. That was huge as an E-1.

My point was it is ALL what YOU make of it. If you think it is a good deal it is. Obviously you don't, but you were probably that guy in the engine room that always complained about how his recruiter lied to him :)

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
This thread went from cool to ****e in a hurry. URBAN F-ing LEGENDS, people! No one cares if you can prove or disprove them...

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
I'm sure everyone knows about this (and shame on you if you don't), but don't get suckered into ever being the mail buoy watch.

We had a guy on my first ship, poor kid, who came up to the bridge with his check-in sheet. So this fresh-outta-boot kid goes over to boats and says, "Boats, I just checked in with Bosan and he said I had to come up here and see you about mail buoy before I could go down to the engine room and get a BT punch." Poor guy never had a chance. The OOD at the time (a crusty LDO) overhears this and jumps all over it. Long story short, if there was a PPE, this kid was wearing it...float coat, flash gear, battle helmet, and we had him put on a harness, too, so he could secure himself to a padeye on the flight deck. We then sent him to the bow with instructions to keep a sharp eye out for the mail buoy. Gave him a radio and told him to give us a call when he spotted it. You'd be amazed, but it was STILL funny after 10 minutes of watching this guy trying his damndest to the best he could at his first ever assignment in the Navy. We finally felt pity for the guy and called him back up, told him the ruse, and sent him on his way.

His final words before being laughed off the bridge: "How do I get down to the plant so I can get the BT punch on check-in sheet?"

And that's my urban legend. You've all heard of the mail buoy, but somehow the gag still works every now and again.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Those aren't urban legends, those are pranks:

Keys to the Humvee
Keys to the Jet/Helicopter (which we really did have in Yuma...)
Chemlight batteries
Rotor Wash (for field day)
100 yards of flight line (good for hanging your laundry on)
Blinker Fluid
Headlight Fluid
Pneumatic Fluid
Fill out your ID-10-Tango
Fill out your BA-1100-N, then put it on a ST-Ring for safekeeping
Stack of 6114's
etc...

twidget

Deskaholic
Prepare to Lower the Mast!

Working as a line-handler on the flight-deck of an FFG, we would tell the new guy that we had to lower the mast as we're heading out of the channel to fit under the Coronado Bay bridge. Yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, but many fell for it. First, they'd have to go to the bridge to request permission to borrow the Captain's Crank. The CO, or OOD if the Old Man was below, would give them a key to the Crank Case. This accomplished, they would have to go to CCS (Engineering) to request permission to blow the MPA in order to signal a warning prior to lowering the mast. The MPA (Main Propulsion Assistant) was a crusty old CWO.

Good Times!

In the COD, which has flux valves for emergency mode hars and ins, we used to tell our AECS (a helo guy) that the problem with the plane was the flux capacitor and send him to maintenance to report that we needed to order one.

For you youngerns that's from Back to the Future.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
In the COD, which has flux valves for emergency mode hars and ins, we used to tell our AECS (a helo guy) that the problem with the plane was the flux capacitor and send him to maintenance to report that we needed to order one.

Does the COD run on garbage?