• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Urban Legends

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
Ok since Im bored I figured I would start up a new thread. How about everyone post your collection of Navy Urban legends that you have heard over the years and maybe shed a little bit of truth to them.
I'll start off.

Navy carriers have a McDonalds on board
It takes an act of congress to bust down a chief
You have to salute a pregnant service woman because they may be carrying a future president/medal of honor winner.

Those are all I can think of right now I'll post some more later when I can remember

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
It is true everyone, regardless of their rank, must salute a Medal of honor recepient? Even POTUS has to salute him/her?

S

shadow99

Fezz CB said:
It is true everyone, regardless of their rank, must salute a Medal of honor recepient? Even POTUS has to salute him/her?

Yes, from what I have been told, you do have to salute a CMH recepient, regardless of their current rank.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
UInavy said:
Hey ghost, why did you start a new user ID. Stick it out with the other one, you're not doing that bad.

Concur, Ghost you are fine, just need a little thicker skin and know when to weigh in and when not to. No reason to switch.

Crowbar

None
1) Dishonorable discharges are automatically upgraded to honorable six months after you get out.

2) The GI Bill will cover all of your expenses in college.

3) You will get enough credit hours from your service schools to graduate college without setting foot inside a college classroom.

4) Get married and move out in town! You'll be rolling in cash!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
5) If you want to get out soon just pop for drugs those guys process out quickly.

6) They wont put you on bread and water on the ship, they cant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
5) If you want to get out soon just pop for drugs those guys process out quickly.

6) They wont put you on bread and water on the ship, they cant.
I love B&W. That's old school NJP.

Brett

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Fezz CB said:

'Tis true. 'Tis very true. Dunno about POTUS sapping a salute, but I'd not doubt it.

7) The Air Force fights in wars. (Ragging on the AF is always fun)

8) You'll start API within a few weeks of checking into NASC...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
shadow99 said:
Yes, from what I have been told, you do have to salute a CMH recepient, regardless of their current rank.

This is completely and totally true. In fact, a good friend of mine who is an ex-Armored Cav guy tells a story of a private who's uniform was absolutely horrendous, to the point where it pissed-off the sergeant major. So the SMAJ gives this private a royal ass-chewing along the lines of "you don't deserve to wear this uniform. . . you are a disgrace to the Army. . .Fall Out!" So the private falls out. About twenty minutes later he returns in a perfect set of Class A's and draped around his neck is a Congressional Medal Of Honor. The SMAJ, with a look of extreme incredulity, salutes and apologizes.

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
the one about if you are the sole survivor of a ship sinking you can wear one gold earring in your ear
if you fall overboard you dont have to go out to sea again

I heard this one I think it was the Saratoga where a civilian worker was trailing some wires and they ran into a bulkhead and he had the bulkhead cut open and there was a shop that had never been used and had been forgotten about

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
This is completely and totally true. In fact, a good friend of mine who is an ex-Armored Cav guy tells a story of a private who's uniform was absolutely horrendous, to the point where it pissed-off the sergeant major. So the SMAJ gives this private a royal ass-chewing along the lines of "you don't deserve to wear this uniform. . . you are a disgrace to the Army. . .Fall Out!" So the private falls out. About twenty minutes later he returns in a perfect set of Class A's and draped around his neck is a Congressional Medal Of Honor. The SMAJ, with a look of extreme incredulity, salutes and apologizes.

Someone read We Were Soldiers...Once and Young. That story comes from that book. And it involves a fresh Army Lt. and a MOH winner.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure who started Congressional Medal of Honor (Hollywood?), but I'm pretty sure it's just Medal of Honor. Saltier types... please correct me if I'm wrong...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
This is completely and totally true. In fact, a good friend of mine...

What's the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale?

A fairy tale starts "Once Upon a Time."

A sea story starts "This is completely and totally true."

I changed it slightly for effect it's really "This ain't no sh!t, but..."

But, hey this is the Urban Legend Thread....

Lawman

None
Complements of my former Bubblehead roommate:

Seals swim out through the torpedo tubes.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
I'm not sure who started Congressional Medal of Honor (Hollywood?), but I'm pretty sure it's just Medal of Honor. Saltier types... please correct me if I'm wrong...
Not that I claim in any way to know what I'm talking about 99% of the time...

You're wrong. Its abbreviated MOH but the official title is Congressional Medal of Honor. Most of the time they don't use the full name... but its awarded by the President on behalf of Congress, hence the "Congressional" part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Medal_of_Honor#Congressional_Medal_of_Honor

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=18&sec=704

Also to jump back to the saluting issue - its a myth. There is nothing in the regs that says to salute a MOH recipient, its a tradition, not a rule. That being said, what kind of loser wouldn't salute a MOH winner?