• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Urban Legends

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
One of the funnier ways I heard of someone getting out of the military, unknown if it's true or not, but funny either way.

So, seaman schmuckatelly reports on board riding his motorcycle (the motorcycle is a part of his imagination to which he provides all sound effects). When he gets on the q'deck he dismounts said motorcycle and reports aboard. Obviously the OOD is a little confused and asks what is happening. The seaman states that he is required to dismount his motorcycle prior to coming aboard. So, OOD a little confused calls up his division rep and gets him off the quarterdeck. Seaman then mounts the motorcycle starts it up and rides it with the rep who will be taking the seaman to his berthing. The seaman continues the use of his motorcycle for quite some time (length unknown to me). Finaly a medboard is done on this guy and found unfit for duty. As he is departing the ship for the last time he dismounts his motorcycle and walks off the brow. The OOD asks him why he's not riding his motorcycle off the ship. Seaman replies "I'm leaving it for the next guy who wants out of the Navy."

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I heard one like that, but it was a Marine bouncing an imaginary basketball. He was supposedly out-processed on the good ol' Section 8, and the moment he had his papers in hand, he set the 'ball' on the company CO's desk. When the CO asked what he was doing, the guy replied, "Game's over, Sir," and walks out the door.

Hmm... That one definitely sounded better when being told by a huge, terrifying First Sergeant, and I was a PFC.

Crowbar

None
I heard one like that, but it was a Marine bouncing an imaginary basketball. He was supposedly out-processed on the good ol' Section 8, and the moment he had his papers in hand, he set the 'ball' on the company CO's desk. When the CO asked what he was doing, the guy replied, "Game's over, Sir," and walks out the door.

Hmm... That one definitely sounded better when being told by a huge, terrifying First Sergeant, and I was a PFC.

Where did you hear that one? I heard it when I was in Millington, 'supposedly' somebody there had used it to get out...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Where did you hear that one? I heard it when I was in Millington, 'supposedly' somebody there had used it to get out...

Dude, you're kidding, right? That's where I heard it too. H&HS 90 if I recall correctly. The 1st Sgt (big, mean, black dude) who threatened to cripple us if we ever got in trouble, then offered his services as a minister for anyone getting married. That guy scared the living sh!t out of little PFC me.

Crowbar

None
Dude, you're kidding, right? That's where I heard it too. H&HS 90 if I recall correctly. The 1st Sgt (big, mean, black dude) who threatened to cripple us if we ever got in trouble, then offered his services as a minister for anyone getting married. That guy scared the living sh!t out of little PFC me.

That one was just starting to circulate when I was there, supposedly it had just happened. Did it? Who knows. I remember sitting around 417 and some guy was telling a story about how he had just pulled a fast one on the CO using some cock and bull basketball scheme. He seemed like the type, though, that would better serve the world performing menial tasks for minimum wage for a long time.
Another crazy story, this one was actually a guy I knew. We were supposed to ship to boot camp on the same day. I saw him that morning at MEPS, then he fell off the face of the earth. When I got back, I found out he had changed his mind and sat around MEPS peeling paint chips off the wall and pretending to eat them so he wouldn't have to go. Apparently it worked.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
No, not in the Continental Army anyway.

Sure was. From the Naval Historical Center:

Ensign comes from the Latin word insignia that meant and still means emblem or banner. A warrior who carried his lord's banner or ensign became known as an ensign bearer and then just an Ensign. Later, the Ensign, still bearing his banner, led a military unit of about 500 foot soldiers called an "ensigne." As a military rank Ensign started in the French army as a junior officer and soon entered the French navy whose lowest commissioned rank is still Enseigne. Ensigns served in our Revolutionary War in infantry regiments where they were the lowest ranking commissioned officers. After the war they also served in Regular Army infantry regiments from 1796 to 1814.

Ensigns did not join our Navy until 1862 to fill the need for a rank for graduates of the Naval Academy who had been called Passed Midshipmen, and to have an equivalent rank to the Army Second Lieutenant. Also, in 1862, Ensigns wore a sleeve stripe of one one-quarter-inch wide gold lace, which increased to the present one-half-inch wide lace in 1881. The Ensign got his single gold bar rank insignia in 1922

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, there was absolutely no mention of Ensigns in "1776", which I just finished, all Lieutenants. Interesting.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Ok, there was absolutely no mention of Ensigns in "1776", which I just finished, all Lieutenants. Interesting.
How was that book. Saw the author on Daily Show and it looked pretty interesting.

Brett