• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Urban Legends

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
How about the one where the Snipes in Engineering have the key to the Ice Locker?

Yes I fell for it. Had a great tour of the ship though.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
TheBubba said:
8) You'll start API within a few weeks of checking into NASC...

Hahaha! This made me laugh.

Oh BTW, was anyone at muster this morning and witness the "I tried to be funny" Ensign get his assed dropped by LT H.? Good stuff. Good stuff.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Schnuggapup said:
What's the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale?

A fairy tale starts "Once Upon a Time."

A sea story starts "This is completely and totally true."

I changed it slightly for effect it's really "This ain't no sh!t, but..."

and Mid stories start out with "This one time at [insert name of bar here]"

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
Also to jump back to the saluting issue - its a myth. There is nothing in the regs that says to salute a MOH recipient, its a tradition, not a rule. That being said, what kind of loser wouldn't salute a MOH winner?

Beat me to it. It is indeed, just a tradition. I have had the honor of being around a couple of MOH recipients off and on over the years. On one occasion, at a formal military dinner, the Army Chief of Staff came down from the dias walked to my table where a MOH recipient was our guest, and after a brief conversation, braced at attention and saluted the WWII vet. I run into another local MOH recipient once a year or so at various patriotic or military functions we are invited to. I always salute him (he rarely wears his medal, even at military events) and he returns the salute with a "sir". As an aside, I am absolutely sure that this president would salute a MOH recipient.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
wink said:
Beat me to it. It is indeed, just a tradition. I have had the honor of being around a couple of MOH recipients off and on over the years. On one occasion, at a formal military dinner, the Army Chief of Staff came down from the dias walked to my table where a MOH recipient was our guest, and after a brief conversation, braced at attention and saluted the WWII vet. I run into another local MOH recipient once a year or so at various patriotic or military functions we are invited to. I always salute him (he rarely wears his medal, even at military events) and he returns the salute with a "sir". As an aside, I am absolutely sure that this president would salute a MOH recipient.
Thank you for referring to them as "recipients" vice "winners." To earn a Medal of Honor is not a game nor a competition. It is an award that is earned, oftentimes earned by giving his or her life to do so.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
makana said:
Thank you for referring to them as "recipients" vice "winners." To earn a Medal of Honor is not a game nor a competition. It is an award that is earned, oftentimes earned by giving his or her life to do so.

Still, the appropriate phrase to use is "win". Has been for a long time...

Just like the Navy "awards" punishment.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
Not that I claim in any way to know what I'm talking about 99% of the time...

You're wrong. Its abbreviated MOH but the official title is Congressional Medal of Honor. Most of the time they don't use the full name... but its awarded by the President on behalf of Congress, hence the "Congressional" part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Medal_of_Honor#Congressional_Medal_of_Honor

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/ts_search.pl?title=18&sec=704

Also to jump back to the saluting issue - its a myth. There is nothing in the regs that says to salute a MOH recipient, its a tradition, not a rule. That being said, what kind of loser wouldn't salute a MOH winner?

I'll take the second link as proof. Careful with Wikipedia.

Thanks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
Still, the appropriate phrase to use is "win". Has been for a

By who? It may be grammaticly correct in a strict sense, but no one who truely respects and honors a MOH recipient refers to the awarding of a MOH as winning anything. I have never heard a military person refer to the awarding of a MOH as "winning it" in the presence of the recipient. Like I said. I have been around a few of these guys in social and more formal settings. I don't think a single one would be comfortable with the term "winning".

When asked about a Navy Achievement Medal ribbon by a unknowing civilian you won't hear anyone say they "won it for ..." Why should the MOH be treated differently?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
By who? It may be grammaticly correct in a strict sense, but no one who truely respects and honors a MOH recipient refers to the awarding of a MOH as winning anything. I have never heard a military person refer to the awarding of a MOH as "winning it" in the presence of the recipient. Like I said. I have been around a few of these guys in social and more formal settings. I don't think a single one would be comfortable with the term "winning".

When asked about a Navy Achievement Medal ribbon by a unknowing civilian you won't hear anyone say they "won it for ..." Why should the MOH be treated differently?

Yeah, you're right. I guess the public, media, Hollywood, etc made it acceptable for people to say "win". I would use "receive" myself, like you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
rare21 said:
- once you wash your flight suit the fire resistance wears off

Whether or not it does, you aren't allowed to wash your flight suit unless there is salt on it :icon_tong

sector

Saluting MOH

It is not regulation to salute the MOH recpient however, it is tradition. The President doesn't have to salute but most likely he would.

makana

I wake up in the morning & I piss excellence.
pilot
wink said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Fly Navy said:
Just like the Navy "awards" punishment.
"Awards" is not the same as "rewards." I think Wink has cleared this up for us.