• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UFOs?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair. I believe GENSER itself is obsolete and “collateral” is the new hotness.
In my experience GENSER, collateral and uncaveated are all functionally equivalent terms. Are you calling me obsolete? :D

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait what’s GENSER? I’ve only ever heard SIPR as the “high side.” That’s especially true when the two systems generally available are NIPR and SIPR. That’s the usual context I’ve heard low side and high side.

In Brett’s honor I’ll start calling SIPR the medium side.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Some of the secret terminals used to say GENSER on the login screen. I can't remember if that was NMCI SIPRNET or shipboard or both. "General service," which means you're supposed to use it for whatever secret and below stuff, I guess.

(Secret is the classification level of stuff we ought to figure most other countries probably know anyway, but nonetheless we'd all like to pretend they don't.)

Python

pilot
Contributor
Wait what’s GENSER? I’ve only ever heard SIPR as the “high side.” That’s especially true when the two systems generally available are NIPR and SIPR. That’s the usual context I’ve heard low side and high side.

In Brett’s honor I’ll start calling SIPR the medium side.

As Brett said, JWICS is the high side. Even if it is unavailable, that doesn’t make the next lowest thing the “high side.” I do think that people who only work with secret or lower simply don’t know that the term generally applies to the TS level.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It’s funny how dogmatic some people seem. High side is just the higher side of two networks, whether that’s JWICS or SIPR. There’s no single definition of high side. Context matters.

As for the original subject, I only have links on Brett’s high side.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool. So what’s the authoritative reference? I’m happy to learn something new.
Reference? It's a colloquial term. It's kinda like a code red... you won't find it in any manual, but (almost) everyone knows what it is.

jmcquate

Contributor
I've understood "High Side" as a term for an air-gapped network of which SIPR and JWICS are. I've herd the term is used for sensitive non-classified systems in the private sector.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've understood "High Side" as a term for an air-gapped network of which SIPR and JWICS are. I've herd the term is used for sensitive non-classified systems in the private sector.
What do you mean by air gap in this context? Technically, that doesn't even apply to classified network traffic. It all rides on the same infrastructure as NIPR and everyone else's ISPs... it's just encrypted.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
As Brett said, SIPR ain't gapped. You can get a SIPR PC for home that works over cell networks.