• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UFOs?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Reference? It's a colloquial term. It's kinda like a code red... you won't find it in any manual, but (almost) everyone knows what it is.

If it’s a colloquial term then you can’t possibly claim that it only applies to JWICS. If your everyday usage of the word means JWICS then that is what constitutes the high side. If instead your everyday usage refers to SIPR, then that is just as legitimate. The context matters.

I’ve worked in both environments and can attest to the contextual nature of the term.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If it’s a colloquial term then you can’t possibly claim that it only applies to JWICS. If your everyday usage of the word means JWICS then that is what constitutes the high side. If instead your everyday usage refers to SIPR, then that is just as legitimate. The context matters.

I’ve worked in both environments and can attest to the contextual nature of the term.
Is this the hill you’ve decided to die on? Would you be swayed by a ruling from N9SP?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, you were the one that made the assertion. Just because you don’t like the fact that people can routinely and legitimately call SIPR the high side doesn’t change that fact.

If anyone wants the Navy briefing on the high high side, PM me your email address.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Damn. I wish you had said 20k, cuz I've been there.
This guy made and today is the anniversary!

21 June 1972: Aérospatiale Chief Test Pilot Jean Boulet set a Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) Absolute World Record for helicopters by flying the first Aérospatiale SA 315 Lama, serial number 315-001, to an altitude of 40,820 feet from Aérodrome d’Istres, northwest of Marseille, France. The record remains unbroken!

Our first helinaut!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett, you were the one that made the assertion. Just because you don’t like the fact that people can routinely and legitimately call SIPR the high side doesn’t change that fact.

If anyone wants the Navy briefing on the high high side, PM me your email address.
LOL - you being wrong doesn't hurt my feelings. By all means, continue to do so.

In the meantime, I'm introducing a new initiative to rename all current and former COD pilots as Naval Aircrewman. Since both pilots and Naval Aircrewman do similar tasks, we'll just lump the two together into one group to distinguish them from non-aircrew enlisted folks. No longer will the masses be bothered by having to remember the minor distinction between these two types of people. Once a few people catch on, Naval Aircrewman will be the authoritative term for what the entire NAE once understood as COD pilot. The distinction between COD pilot and enlisted Aircrew will cease to exist. Double plus good!

jmcquate

Contributor
I love blue flashing lights and the smell of BO in the morning.............smells like VICTORY!. Some day this thread is gonna end.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

21 June 1972: Aérospatiale Chief Test Pilot Jean Boulet set a Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) Absolute World Record for helicopters by flying the first Aérospatiale SA 315 Lama, serial number 315-001, to an altitude of 40,820 feet from Aérodrome d’Istres, northwest of Marseille, France. The record remains unbroken!

Our first helinaut!

View attachment 31257
The flesh-tone cyclic grip is a nice touch. Only in the '70s.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Our first helinaut!

View attachment 31257

Here is an account of the flight that set the helicopter altitude record (it has since been exceeded) and subsequently the world’s longest autorotation:

The record-setting helicopter was modified by removing all equipment that was not needed for the record flight attempt. Various instruments and the co-pilot and passengers seats were taken out of the cockpit, as well as the helicopter’s synchronized horizontal stabilizer and tail rotor guard. The standard fuel tank was replaced with a very small tank holding just 70 kilograms (approximately 22.7 gallons) of jet fuel. Turboméca modified the engine to increase the output shaft r.p.m. by 6%. After Jean Boulet started the turbine engine, mechanics removed the battery and starter motor to decrease the weight even further.

In just 12 minutes, the Lama had climbed to 11,000 meters (36,089 feet). As he approached the peak altitude, the forward indicated airspeed had to be reduced to 30 knots (34.5 miles per hour, 55.6 kilometers per hour) to prevent the advancing main rotor blade tip from reaching its Critical Mach Number in the thin air, which would have resulted in the blade stalling. At the same time, the helicopter was approaching Retreating Blade Stall.
When the helicopter could climb no higher, Boulet reduced power and decreased collective pitch. The Turboméca engine, not calibrated for the very high altitude and cold temperature, -62 °C. (-80 °F.), flamed out. With no battery and starter, a re-start was impossible. Boulet put the Lama into autorotation for his nearly eight mile descent. Entering multiple cloud layers, the Plexiglas bubble iced over. Because of the ice and clouds, the test pilot had no outside visibility. Attitude instruments had been removed to lighten the helicopter. Boulet looked up through the canopy at the light spot in the clouds created by the sun, and used that for his only visual reference until he broke out of the clouds.

Aérospatiale SA 315 Lama, FAI World Record Holder, 12,442 meters, in autorotation, just before touching down at at Istres, 21 June 1972.

Interesting that the Lama is a fixed shaft turbine, not free turbine. I picked up my FAA Part 133 External Load qual (vertrep and/or long line externals) in a Lama years ago.

I thought that the current altitude record holder was an AS-350 B2 (roughly equivalent to a Bell 407) - not sure about the certification.

Helicopter Altitude Records
Highest Altitude Flight:
Fred North – March 23, 2002, in a Eurocopter AS350 B2 flew to 12,954 m (42,500FT) – Source: Fred-North.com
Highest Landing:
Didier Delsalle – May 14, 2005, in a Eurocopter AS350 B3 landed on top of Mount Everest at 8,848 m (29,030 ft) – Source: Eurocopter
Highest Worldwide Rescue:
Maurizio Folini – May 19, 2013, in a Eurocopter AS350 B3 rescued double-amputee Sudarshan Gautam on Mount Everest at 7,800 m (25,590 ft) – Source: Men’s Journal

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Here is an account of the flight that set the helicopter altitude record (it has since been exceeded) and subsequently the world’s longest autorotation:

The record-setting helicopter was modified by removing all equipment that was not needed for the record flight attempt. Various instruments and the co-pilot and passengers seats were taken out of the cockpit, as well as the helicopter’s synchronized horizontal stabilizer and tail rotor guard. The standard fuel tank was replaced with a very small tank holding just 70 kilograms (approximately 22.7 gallons) of jet fuel. Turboméca modified the engine to increase the output shaft r.p.m. by 6%. After Jean Boulet started the turbine engine, mechanics removed the battery and starter motor to decrease the weight even further.

In just 12 minutes, the Lama had climbed to 11,000 meters (36,089 feet). As he approached the peak altitude, the forward indicated airspeed had to be reduced to 30 knots (34.5 miles per hour, 55.6 kilometers per hour) to prevent the advancing main rotor blade tip from reaching its Critical Mach Number in the thin air, which would have resulted in the blade stalling. At the same time, the helicopter was approaching Retreating Blade Stall.
When the helicopter could climb no higher, Boulet reduced power and decreased collective pitch. The Turboméca engine, not calibrated for the very high altitude and cold temperature, -62 °C. (-80 °F.), flamed out. With no battery and starter, a re-start was impossible. Boulet put the Lama into autorotation for his nearly eight mile descent. Entering multiple cloud layers, the Plexiglas bubble iced over. Because of the ice and clouds, the test pilot had no outside visibility. Attitude instruments had been removed to lighten the helicopter. Boulet looked up through the canopy at the light spot in the clouds created by the sun, and used that for his only visual reference until he broke out of the clouds.

View attachment 31266

Aérospatiale SA 315 Lama, FAI World Record Holder, 12,442 meters, in autorotation, just before touching down at at Istres, 21 June 1972.

Interesting that the Lama is a fixed shaft turbine, not free turbine. I picked up my FAA Part 133 External Load qual (vertrep and/or long line externals) in a Lama years ago.

I thought that the current altitude record holder was an AS-350 B2 (roughly equivalent to a Bell 407) - not sure about the certification.

Helicopter Altitude Records
Highest Altitude Flight:
Fred North – March 23, 2002, in a Eurocopter AS350 B2 flew to 12,954 m (42,500FT) – Source: Fred-North.com
Highest Landing:
Didier Delsalle – May 14, 2005, in a Eurocopter AS350 B3 landed on top of Mount Everest at 8,848 m (29,030 ft) – Source: Eurocopter
Highest Worldwide Rescue:
Maurizio Folini – May 19, 2013, in a Eurocopter AS350 B3 rescued double-amputee Sudarshan Gautam on Mount Everest at 7,800 m (25,590 ft) – Source: Men’s Journal
Impressive stuff!