• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition to FTS

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
At what percent completion of the transition/transformation/transfiguration does one use the word “tail?”
Dang...am I one of them now? ? I'm still rolling my sleeves the right way and wearing Navy morale patches on the right shoulder...I even put up some Sierra pictures in the squadron to annoy them....that's gotta count for something! ?

Pags

N/A
pilot
The NH unit is right on the coast and Portsmouth is a marvelous town. Exeter is more quaint and little villages like Newfields are full on New England quaint. Boston (Logan) is under an hour away and not always a nightmarish commute if you know the different routes there. Winters suck, but they don’t last forever.
Yeah, most years there's a really nice week around the 4th before the next glacier roles through. And by nice I mean it's nice for the black flies and mosquitoes.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, most years there's a really nice week around the 4th before the next glacier roles through. And by nice I mean it's nice for the black flies and mosquitoes.
Be nice...there is a second one in mid-October as well.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I was supposed to take the jet to Pease for a week long TDY last month. I was so sad when the TDY changed to Miramar and Hickam ?, but during the planning for Pease someone told me the squadron no longer has any jets because they're in the middle of switching to the KC-46. I never got out there so I can't confirm it. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be hiring, but I also don't know when they expect their first tails to arrive. Could be a minute.
Everybody knows that Pease is the Hickam of New England.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Dang...am I one of them now? ? I'm still rolling my sleeves the right way and wearing Navy morale patches on the right shoulder...I even put up some Sierra pictures in the squadron to annoy them....that's gotta count for something! ?
AF person: “How many tails do you have?”

Navy helicopter pilots: (exchange very confused looks between each other)

“Zero?”

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Because Kendi openly and clearly states that the only thing that matters is a person’s skin color.
AF person: “How many tails do you have?”

Navy helicopter pilots: (exchange very confused looks between each other)

“Zero?”
Oh, oh, I know!

Former HsC Person: How many aircraft do you have on the carrier?

HSc Person:
giphy.gif

Too soon?? ???

hooflys

pilot
Contributor
-Thread Revival-
What platform did you come from and go to? I just hit the 7 year mark and am considering dropping an FTS package with the intent to go VR. I am a helo bubba trying to get back over to the FW side. Does the AF have something similar? Can anyone speak to the quality of life on your first FTS tour? Thanks!

Late to the party, but chiming in as an HSC/VT/VR dude...
What are you doing on your shore tour? If its anything fixed-wing (or not, frankly) and your goal is the airlines, get out, get hired, and get on with a Guard unit.

Surf

pilot
Late to the party, but chiming in as an HSC/VT/VR dude...
What are you doing on your shore tour? If its anything fixed-wing (or not, frankly) and your goal is the airlines, get out, get hired, and get on with a Guard unit.
I have gotten some pretty good gouge from here and I am probably going to go down that road. I went Station SAR.

Hybrid55

Nick
pilot
Also late to the party but I'm in a similar boat as Surf except about a year behind him timing wise. I'm also looking at the various options including the AF side. Thank you @RedFive for your description of the AF equivalents - that was the most helpful breakdown I have read on any forum. I am currently on my production tour at the HTs as an IP (also formerly a HSC/60S guy), but looking very closely at the different opportunities that are available following my commitment to the Navy (Navy FTS or SELRES, ANG, Air Force Reserves, etc.). I know the active to active transfer is currently paused by the AF, but I am more interested in the Navy Active to Navy or Air Force Reserve transfer (either FTS or SELRES and the AF equivalents). However, I have no interest in the airlines. I am more interested in quality of life for a family while still flying (helo or fixed, doesn't matter to me) and pursuing entrepreneurial long term goals of owning my own business. With that being said, you all have some amazing tribal knowledge so looking for some inputs/advice on trying to achieve these goals.

croakerfish

pilot
Also late to the party but I'm in a similar boat as Surf except about a year behind him timing wise. I'm also looking at the various options including the AF side. Thank you @RedFive for your description of the AF equivalents - that was the most helpful breakdown I have read on any forum. I am currently on my production tour at the HTs as an IP (also formerly a HSC/60S guy), but looking very closely at the different opportunities that are available following my commitment to the Navy (Navy FTS or SELRES, ANG, Air Force Reserves, etc.). I know the active to active transfer is currently paused by the AF, but I am more interested in the Navy Active to Navy or Air Force Reserve transfer (either FTS or SELRES and the AF equivalents). However, I have no interest in the airlines. I am more interested in quality of life for a family while still flying (helo or fixed, doesn't matter to me) and pursuing entrepreneurial long term goals of owning my own business. With that being said, you all have some amazing tribal knowledge so looking for some inputs/advice on trying to achieve these goals.

I managed to perfectly thread the needle and went straight to FTS from HTs. My PRD was 12 months to MSR which had me at exactly 18 months at the application deadline. Ask me anything…

SlickAg

pilot
Should be change the title of this thread to "Transition to TAR" now? ?
Actual conversation in the Pentagon:

“Everyone knows that FTS sucks now...what do we do to get more people to apply??”

“Sir, change the name back to TAR! That way these clowns won’t know the world of hurt they’re in for; they’ll think it’s something hip and edgy!”

“Make it so. I’m going to make sure you also make flag some day, because you’re brilliant like me.”