• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition to FTS

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@Surf Look at bonus trends to see if out quotas will be entertained. As it stands, HSC is bleeding DH eligible folks and the bonus is maxed out, so expect no favors from the detailer. Their job is to make you a DH until you drop your resignation. If your end goal is VR CO or VR+MEFW Time+20year retirement, FTS is one way to do it. If you think you want a seniority number at a Major, some kind of RTP, then regionals + guard/SELRES might be a shorter/more flexible path, but pays less.

Surf

pilot
@Surf Look at bonus trends to see if out quotas will be entertained. As it stands, HSC is bleeding DH eligible folks and the bonus is maxed out, so expect no favors from the detailer. Their job is to make you a DH until you drop your resignation. If your end goal is VR CO or VR+MEFW Time+20year retirement, FTS is one way to do it. If you think you want a seniority number at a Major, some kind of RTP, then regionals + guard/SELRES might be a shorter/more flexible path, but pays less.
Will do, thank you. End game for me is get enough turbine time to transition to airlines. I opted for BRS so hitting 20 isn’t a priority, but the added service time is nice. It’s sounding more like ANG may be the way to try for my goals.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Will do, thank you. End game for me is get enough turbine time to transition to airlines. I opted for BRS so hitting 20 isn’t a priority, but the added service time is nice. It’s sounding more like ANG may be the way to try for my goals.

If that’s your plan, consider expanding the aperature on ANG units. Something like NH/WV/WY/etc might be easier than, say, FL/TX.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
@Surf

When are you getting out?

Call Randy Hotton. He's a former P-3 pilot and currently flies a B-17. Pilot recruiter and Captain at USA Jets. He likes helo guys and understands his airline is a stepping stone. All you need is 100 total MEL which might be easier to just pay for while getting fixed wing ratings using your GI Bill. The find a partner and cost share time building. One pilot under the hood, the other a safety pilot. Both can log.

USA Jet Airlines - PILOT CAREER CENTER

Surf

pilot
@Surf

When are you getting out?

Call Randy Hotton. He's a former P-3 pilot and currently flies a B-17. Pilot recruiter and Captain at USA Jets. He likes helo guys and understands his airline is a stepping stone. All you need is 100 total MEL which might be easier to just pay for while getting fixed wing ratings using your GI Bill. The find a partner and cost share time building. One pilot under the hood, the other a safety pilot. Both can log.

USA Jet Airlines - PILOT CAREER CENTER
Thank you sir! I’m looking at 3 years until my MSR, which I hope is enough time to get out in front of these decisions.

Surf

pilot
If that’s your plan, consider expanding the aperature on ANG units. Something like NH/WV/WY/etc might be easier than, say, FL/TX.
Good to know, do you mention those because they typically fly more? I was only drawn to FL for family reasons but will follow the better fit.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Good to know, do you mention those because they typically fly more? I was only drawn to FL for family reasons but will follow the better fit.

Due to location those units are typically not as popular as Florida/SoCal/etc.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor

Yeah just not the standard garden spots. NH is a no income tax state too. If the guard is your first wife (better pay, flight suit, etc), consider living with her and commuting to your side piece at a regional.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Yeah just not the standard garden spots. NH is a no income tax state too. If the guard is your first wife (better pay, flight suit, etc), consider living with her and commuting to your side piece at a regional.
I imagine that living in WY and flying at a ANG unit there while commuting for airlines could be a dream life for some. Sounds cool to me anyway.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah, all he's saying is that you might have to accept a commute to your unit if you can't get into the unit closest to you. You have to also remember as a helo guy there's already a mark against you when you walk into the door (that's why you show up with extra beer). Lots of guys commute, it's not a huge deal. Of course squadrons want you to live local, but we have a guy who commutes from Hawaii. Any time I get discouraged about my 1 hour jumpseat commute, I just remember my buddy is commuting to the same drill weekend from Hawaii and he shows up happy as fuck. As far as my airline commute goes....any day now I'm going to wake up and be based in San Diego. Any. Day. ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The NH unit is right on the coast and Portsmouth is a marvelous town. Exeter is more quaint and little villages like Newfields are full on New England quaint. Boston (Logan) is under an hour away and not always a nightmarish commute if you know the different routes there. Winters suck, but they don’t last forever.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
The NH unit is right on the coast and Portsmouth is a marvelous town. Exeter is more quaint and little villages like Newfields are full on New England quaint. Boston (Logan) is under an hour away and not always a nightmarish commute if you know the different routes there. Winters suck, but they don’t last forever.
I was supposed to take the jet to Pease for a week long TDY last month. I was so sad when the TDY changed to Miramar and Hickam ?, but during the planning for Pease someone told me the squadron no longer has any jets because they're in the middle of switching to the KC-46. I never got out there so I can't confirm it. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be hiring, but I also don't know when they expect their first tails to arrive. Could be a minute.