• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition to FTS

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wasn't it always TAR in the US Code? A couple of years after the name change to FTS, USC still stated TAR. I never bothered to go look it up again after another few years, but I doubt anyone had the energy to try and change the Code.

SlickAg

pilot
Wasn't it always TAR in the US Code? A couple of years after the name change to FTS, USC still stated TAR. I never bothered to go look it up again after another few years, but I doubt anyone had the energy to try and change the Code.
Could be, honestly. They also changed the name of a bunch of other names and acronyms. It reeks of change for the sake of change.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Good lord. But will a NOSC, which is now called a NRC, still be referred to as a NRA? It's like the computer program didn't have enough memory space to have a 4 character title (NOSC), so they made up another one (NRA).
NOSC is a shortened version of NAVOPSPTCEN.

red_stang65

pilot
So, for those of us who got tired of explaining how “FTS” is pretty much like “AGR”…well, now we get to keep on confusing the Joint world and ourselves even more. And only 16 months after we finally got a DOD Instruction (DODI 1205.18) that defines how all the Services are supposed to provide “Full-Time Support to the Reserves.” How do we keep doing this to ourselves…

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
So, for those of us who got tired of explaining how “FTS” is pretty much like “AGR”…well, now we get to keep on confusing the Joint world and ourselves even more. And only 16 months after we finally got a DOD Instruction (DODI 1205.18) that defines how all the Services are supposed to provide “Full-Time Support to the Reserves.” How do we keep doing this to ourselves…
Well now that is going to f the system (which is what FTS stood for all along.... right??).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Thanks professor. Whatever it stood for, no one ever called it a "NRA" except in an administrative document/email. But everyone knew what a NOSC was and what it did.
I always thought that was one of the worst message plads. The comm people on the address committee must have been feeling extra froggy the day they settled on NAVOPSPTCEN- we'll remove a few vowels here but we'll leave a few in there too, just enough to make it really confusing. That'll teach people to call us nerds.

red_stang65

pilot
@RedFive, any idea what the document is talking about when it says, “On 20-year career path, unlike AGR”? I thought Army and USAF AGR could all retire after 20 years of Active service, and didn’t have to wait until age 60 to receive retirement.

Also, don’t AGR billets have specific PRDs, PCS requirements, and key milestones? And I’m pretty sure AGRs can serve up to 20 years, High-Year Tenure, or some upper age limit (60?). I’m not getting how that isn’t a “career path.”

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
@RedFive, any idea what the document is talking about when it says, “On 20-year career path, unlike AGR”? I thought Army and USAF AGR could all retire after 20 years of Active service, and didn’t have to wait until age 60 to receive retirement.

Also, don’t AGR billets have specific PRDs, PCS requirements, and key milestones? And I’m pretty sure AGRs can serve up to 20 years, High-Year Tenure, or some upper age limit (60?). I’m not getting how that isn’t a “career path.”

Unlike FTS…err, TAR, AGR can drop into regular selres style orders at the end of their AGR orders, stay a selres for a while, and then later on pick up more AGR orders.

If they can add up 20 years of active duty/AGR orders/mobs/etc, they can retire with a full active retirement regardless of how long it takes them.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
This ☝☝☝

We have several people who left AD, got established with our Reserve squadron, got hired by their major airline of choice, then came back on AGR to finish out their 20. They will leave with an AD retirement and roll right back to their airline.