• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition to FTS

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That’s just what I’ve been told by several TAR folks. C-130 guys with helo backgrounds are not typically finishing their initial tours with enough hours to go straight to majors.

Ahhhh gotcha, I missed that you were RW originally. Right now, a quick lap in the regionals would probably not be bad at all, at least in terms of pay (and depending on where)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
That’s just what I’ve been told by several TAR folks. C-130 guys with helo backgrounds are not typically finishing their initial tours with enough hours to go straight to majors.

If can get about 500hrs in a tour you’re in the ballpark.

Jetblue is taking guys with the right zip code and 500hrs of fixed wing time. Frontier will take you as long as you’ve got ATP mins. Regionals will pay you a bunch of money to get you to minimums. Hiring in the industry is crazy right now.

Vidofnir

Fly Delta Jets
pilot
If can get about 500hrs in a tour you’re in the ballpark.

Jetblue is taking guys with the right zip code and 500hrs of fixed wing time. Frontier will take you as long as you’ve got ATP mins. Regionals will pay you a bunch of money to get you to minimums. Hiring in the industry is crazy right now.
If the flying picks up like I keep hearing ("returning to the pre-red-stripe days!") C-130 TAR guys will get 500 hours just from the flying that is starting to come available in August - September 30.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
For TAR, do you get to submit preferences for specific squadrons or only communities/platforms?

You apply to VR, VFC, VT(P), HT, VT(J), etc specifically and are picked up (or not) for that community. If you get, say, VR, my understanding you'll be asked to fill out a preference sheet and then the detailer will rack and stack with Needs of the Navy, Spouse CoLo, EFMP, etc. Smaller numbers so my buddies have said it's a bit more gentlemanly than the PERS-43 grinder, but someone has to go to Hercs in Ft Dix.

One thing I'll say is straight up cold calling the TAR Accessions and Recruitment guy/gal is a legit option. They were on the active side before and understand the dance. They aren't going to write you name down and give it to your detailer/front office if you call.

MGoBrew11

pilot
What Synix said is all legit. There is some gamesmanship for the application itself, specifically if you’re targeting VR. For VR, once you’re selected there is a slate and you rank what you want and get what you get. Not as important for communities with only one or two duty stations.

Highly recommend what Synix said about calling them. They’re very helpful and they’re not going to tattle on you. Also feel free to PM me if you want specifics on how the boards work.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
A call or email to the TAR POCs can get you the previous board’s checklists and docs for planning purposes too.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup, what’s old is new again. Even back to REDCOMMs, RCCs, etc. Apparently the solution to the lexicon “problem” was going back to the 90s…Wait, didn’t the Navy Reserve change the language in the 2000s because the 90s language wasn’t clear? ?
I have a spy in reserve NSW land who swears that the only reason we went to “operational support” centers and units during GWOT was Big Reserves cribbing buzzwords off of NSWG-11’s construct, because ooga booga GWOT Narmy.

I can neither confirm or deny; I wasn’t there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have a spy in reserve NSW land who swears that the only reason we went to “operational support” centers and units during GWOT was Big Reserves cribbing buzzwords off of NSWG-11’s construct, because ooga booga GWOT Narmy.

I can neither confirm or deny; I wasn’t there.

I don't know the validity of that statement, but the driving force for the change was ADM (or is it Adm?) Cotton, who pushed for more integration post-9/11. This included dropping the "R" from USNR and integrating hardware units into their respective AC admin ISICs (like moving helos to AC wings).

Obviously there were varying levels of success, but since the Reserves were needed, the overall goal made sense. I'm guessing now that the Reserves are going back to a more strategic state of mind, a return to pre-operational/GWOT) terminology "makes sense" for the non-hardware/support side.

red_stang65

pilot
I don't know the validity of that statement, but the driving force for the change was ADM (or is it Adm?) Cotton, who pushed for more integration post-9/11. This included dropping the "R" from USNR and integrating hardware units into their respective AC admin ISICs (like moving helos to AC wings).

Obviously there were varying levels of success, but since the Reserves were needed, the overall goal made sense. I'm guessing now that the Reserves are going back to a more strategic state of mind, a return to pre-operational/GWOT) terminology "makes sense" for the non-hardware/support side.
Great background, thanks. Hard to tell where Navy Reserve is heading these days.

CNR’s Warfighting Instructions is littered with “operationalizing the Reserve,” “warfighting is our number one and only priority,” “build units of action” that directly contribute to GPC, and “eliminate reserve capacity that adds little or no enabling or direct warfighting contribution,” etc. Meanwhile, recent O5/O6 TAR selection results and other budgetary and force structure decisions (divesting of Reserve hardware units) seem to be heading the opposite direction.