• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trailer for "The Guardian"

xmid

pilot
Contributor
At NAPS one of our Marine cadre made us yell "kill, sir" whenever we hit a bulkhead, the Coasties were forced to say "save boaters, sir".

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
At NAPS one of our Marine cadre made us yell "kill, sir" whenever we hit a bulkhead, the Coasties were forced to say "save boaters, sir".

Hell, if I were to be a helo pilot, I'd want to be a Coastie helo pilot (or a Cobra guy... either way it's cool)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I still remember from Primary, one of the IPs giving a lecture, saying "your primary mission is to kill the enemy"... the CG guys raised their hands "uhhh, not really for us". Pretty funny stuff.

Visions of a USCG swimmer coming to a liferaft of desperate people and capping all of them keep popping into my head. In a sick way, I keep chuckling to myself.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why not Navy? Who do think is going to pick you up out of the drink?

Coastie helos primary duty is SAR (at least how I understand it) and they do it a lot. Cobra guys actually get to shoot stuff. Nothing against Navy helo at all, I've flown a couple when I was a middie and had a blast, but if I could choose a community to be a helo guy in, it'd be CG or Marine Cobra.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The number of saves a Coastie SAR crew gets vs. the number a typical Navy SAR crew gets are orders of magnitude apart. There's a LOT of starboard D between real missions in the Navy.

Plus, now the Coast Guard has it's own armed helicopter program. So, it could be the best of all worlds on the shallow water side of the house.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Dude? DUDE ??? You think that helps ???

Having "been there" .... :eek:

How about: "Where's my SAR?":)

That works .....

No, A4s; that was just a play on the title of a film the guy who plays the rescue swimmer (Ashton Kutcher) appeared in called "Dude, where's my car?" My thinking is it would be a good alternative title (or subtitle at least). :icon_mi_1

If I were a photo-shop ninja I would have done up a different poster with that title...alas, after a few minutes of trying I realized just how lame my pursuit was and how it was undeserving of more than 10 secs of effort.

And no, I never call folks "Dude" while circling overhead...not part of putting on the game face.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No, A4s; that was just a play on the title of a film....
News flash for HercDriver: :eek::eek::eek:

I get it.

You guys just need to "walk away" from "Dude" ... just like "we" walked away from "MAN" in the '60's/70's ....

Both = the LOWEST common denominator in our white-bread society ... :)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Sure, should have figured they would have shown that classic on one of the flights your were in charge of. News flash received, and yeah, it does show a bit of laziness to address folks like that. But I think that many use those terms to quickly establish rapport with whomever they are talking to.

I'll support you in your efforts to get rid of 'dude' from todays lexicon...if you can also try to eradicate high-fiving as well. That also needs to go the way of the dodo bird.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
News flash for HercDriver: :eek::eek::eek:

I get it.

You guys just need to "walk away" from "Dude" ... just like "we" walked away from "MAN" in the '60's/70's ....

Both = the LOWEST common denominator in our white-bread society ... :)

Ah c'mon dude, you gotta just be cool, ya' know, keep it real, man!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While that was a good movie, I am more interested in something that takes place post Cold War....and no Tom Clancy "hit the torpedo destroy button from the TAO chair" kind of stuff.

The king kong Cold War SWO movie was the Bedford Incident

bedfordincident_poster.gif

My favorite WWII SWO movies were

sinkthebismarkdvd.jpg

CAINE.JPG

Mr._Roberts_2.JPG

B0001ZWN1I.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

LD_TheyWereExpendble_mgm.jpg

PT109.jpg

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen all of those except the Bedford Incident. I even own a few of them. The wife didn't like Mr. Roberts. She said it was a 2+ hour movie that could have told the same story in 10 minutes.