• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trailer for "The Guardian"

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Now, can we just get a SWO movie please?

already done

Splash_Russell.jpg
Splash_BoatL.jpg
Splash_BoatR.jpg

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
takes big balls to jump into those waves, but i assure you (being from the great state of Alaska) that once you hit that water they will NOT be big for long.

What blows my mind is that those rescue swimmers will be left behind while the helo ferries back the rescued people, then come out to pick up the swimmer. not sure how often this happens, but it does happen. That would be incredibly lonely, out there among giant waves, in the middle of the night. DAMN! Those dudes are brave, no doubt about it.

We had a crewman (now a pilot) in my LAMPS squadron that was in the water for >10 hours during a rescue in the Med. He got some kind of big shot medal, deservedly so.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
While that was a good movie, I am more interested in something that takes place post Cold War....and no Tom Clancy "hit the torpedo destroy button from the TAO chair" kind of stuff.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
We had a crewman (now a pilot) in my LAMPS squadron that was in the water for >10 hours during a rescue in the Med. He got some kind of big shot medal, deservedly so.

Brett

And the med is WARM (comparatively so, anyhow). Of course there are all kinds of nasties in warm water...

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Brett
I'm guessing he had to rescue several people....maybe from a sailboat?

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
There already is a SWO movie...

...and it, too starred Kevin Costner. It was called "No Way Out" and in the beginning of the film during a terrible storm his character (A LCDR!) goes out on the forecastle and rescues a crewman from going overboard. And he hooked up with a very hot chick in the back of a limo...and was a Soviet spy. Not sure which part is the most far-fetched.

"Men of Honor": Cuba Gooding's character breaks the color barrier and overcomes disabilities to become a Navy hardhat diver.
"Officer and a Gentlemen": Richard Gere's character works through personal demons to finish the rigors of Navy flight school and find love with local working class chick Debra Winger.
"Top Gun": Tom Cruise's F-14 pilot learns teamwork while at the Top Gun school in Miramar while trying to hook up with hot instructor Kelly McGillis (sp?), and take lots of showers.

Yep, all of these movies are exactly like "The Guardian" in that they involve the US military and...and...and...

Sundown

Eight-year-olds, Dude...
Props to the Coasties, I have a few buddies currently serving with them, but couldn't they find a better lead then Kevin Cosner? Ugh...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously?! I thought they were an Pacific-only thingamajig.

-jai5w4

Nooooo not in the least. The Great White ranges around the entire temperate zone of the oceans. I still remember a 16 footer that was caught off Massachusetts, about 5-10 miles out. I have the picture saved, it was like 10 years ago.

The Med has had a decent amount of Great White attacks, especially along Italy's shores.

Damn, had no idea. Guess I just assumed since that's where it always seems they shoot the 'Shark Week' stuff.

Is it safe to say, "more prominent" in the Pacific?

-j

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Damn, had no idea. Guess I just assumed since that's where it always seems they shoot the 'Shark Week' stuff.

Is it safe to say, "more prominent" in the Pacific?

-j

It's "more prominent" because surfers are morons and surf on beaches infested with seals... a popular tasty snack for Great Whites. Don't swim where sharks eat.