• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trailer for "The Guardian"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then being attacked by a shark. There's plenty of other sh!t to worry about. ...
Really? The "lottery", huh?? How would you know ??? This is a classic example of why most of you should refrain from mouthing meaningless statistics in a vain attempt to make a meaningless point about which you know ... nothing. Try to minimize the meaningless statements that you will surely make in life.

When I was 10 years old --- a friend of mine ---20 yards away --- was hit and killed by a shark @ Kailua Beach in the Territory. Took his leg off @ the knee. We hauled him up on the beach where he died.

There were six of us sharing two boards. He was waiting his turn on an air mattress. It could have been any one of us. It just wasn't my time --- it was my friend's time, however. @ 20 yards was all the difference.

I still think about it every time I go into the ocean ....

*edit* not trying to be a kill-joy on this "thread" .. there' s just a learning opportunity herein. I hope you take it. Carry on ....

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then being attacked by a shark. There's plenty of other sh!t to worry about.

I assume that statistic applies the number of shark deaths to the total population. I would imagine that your chances of being attacked by a shark go up significantly if you're in the water...in shark territory...with a pork chop around your neck.

Then again, there are land sharks...

BigRed389

None
As should be obvious given what A4s and Propstop posted...statistics are only useful if they're applied intelligently.

The statistical odds of being hit by lightning are also incredibly low. However, I wouldn't recommend going out into an open field during a thunderstorm while yammering away on a cell phone.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
The statistical odds of being hit by lightning are also incredibly low.

I dated a girl who was struck by lightening while in her house standing in front of a large picture window with her hands on the glass.

What are the chances of that?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
And don't forget about the carnivorous manatees.

Brett

They say that gators are eating runners in florida, but i think it's a cover up, nobody wants to destroy the image of the innocent, plant eating, manatee. It's BS i tell you.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
[SIZE=-1]Don't you know anything about manatees? They are the only mammals completely unmoved by terrorist threats.[/SIZE]

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
[SIZE=-1]Don't you know anything about manatees? They are the only mammals completely unmoved by terrorist threats.[/SIZE]
That's because they have the Manatee Warriors to protect them....

moonarc_logo.jpg

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
I actually had 4 friends get struck by lightning, 3 of which were hit at the same time, so its only two real "strikes". One of them died. So, statistically speaking, if you know me, you have a pretty good chance of being struck by lightning. (so thats why I have no friends...)

Statistics are all relative. You wouldn't stroll across a busy 4-lane freeway thinking you've got a better chance of hitting the lottery than being hit by a car. So why would you swim in shark infested waters thinking that only 1/1.8 million people in the world ever get attacked? I know I don't.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that the shark stat is biased. All those people living in landlocked countries are getting free rides on the shark attack angle, while Floridians take it up the ass. Shark attacks in Afghanistan......0.

"The Guardian" looks bad ass in the action sequences. However, both Costner and Kutcher have single-handedly destroyed movies. The rescues look cool, but the plot does look familiar. Cocky new guy has to earn his keep with the old veteran. Hmmm...what 50 movies has that theme been in? Maybe his father died at sea, too, and he'll have to overcome his insecurities.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree w/ Phrogdriver...

I can't think off the top of my head a decent flick that Kutcher has been in. And Costner is hit or miss (the previously mentioned "Waterworld", "The Postman" come to mind), but he has been in some of the best sports flicks ("Bull Durham", "Tin Cup" & "Field of Dreams") and his last outing as a director "Open Range" was pretty freakin' good. Of course if you put Robert Duvall in a cowboy hat, your 90% there to a great flick.

And it looks like the young guy proving himself and learning a few lessons along the way/the old salt learning something from even some newbie has been done...when our Mopic office let out that they were scouting locations for a film about a crusty Chief rescue swimmer taking a young gun under his wing...well a bunch of us did a quick treatment that sounded A LOT like the first line of this paragraph.

I suppose the reality of a guy going home tire to a wife and three crumb-snatchers, while he tries to advance in the organization wouldn't sell. Hopefully they can have some good dialogue, interesting character development and a minimum of groan-inducing scenes to do the CG proud. Less Kutcher, more crazy rescue scenes off Kodiak.

Hey, its gotta be better than "Firebirds".

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Come on, "Dude Where's My Car" was SO bad it was good.

USCGaviator

pilot
The Sequel

Word on the street is that they expect The Guardian to do well at the box office. However, the critics believe that the Costner/Kutcher combo will prevent it from becoming a blockbuster.

Based on this pre-release speculation, the Hollywood big-wigs have gone out and signed Jake and Elwood for the sequel (The Guardian Blues). Coming to a theater near you soon....

miniGuardianBlues.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll go see it. The Coast Guard mission is very motivating and well, if the action is good, then hell, I'll check it out.

I still remember from Primary, one of the IPs giving a lecture, saying "your primary mission is to kill the enemy"... the CG guys raised their hands "uhhh, not really for us". Pretty funny stuff.