• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trailer for "The Guardian"

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've seen all of those except the Bedford Incident. I even own a few of them. The wife didn't like Mr. Roberts. She said it was a 2+ hour movie that could have told the same story in 10 minutes.

The Bedford Incident is in a class of its own. Go get it!!!

Here's another one

b70-2149

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
EXCELLENT movie ..... black-shoe world at it's finest.

zwischenfatlantik.m.jpg

Even "Book-em' Danno" was among the cast ... :)

There's another one from way back (B&W) in which a British sailor is one of few survivors of surface duel with a German Cruiser and captured afterwards. The cruiser is damaged and puts into a desolate cove surrounded by high rocks to conduct repairs. The sailor escapes with a rifle and little else and holds up the repairs by sniping constantly while the Germans try about everything to get him (including their main battery). I won't spoil the ending, but I just can't remember the name.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
^ I'm still thinkin' about that one .... ANOTHER good one --- blah, blah, blah .... black-shoe and Aviators alike --- will like.

murphyswar.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^ I'm still thinkin' about that one .... ANOTHER good one --- blah, blah, blah .... black-shoe and Aviators alike --- will like.

murphyswar.jpg

That one did come to mind and as did this one...great actor

lord-jim.jpg

One of his many fine films that is hard to beat was

Lawrence%20of%20Arabia.jpg

Coppertop222

Visions of a USCG swimmer coming to a liferaft of desperate people and capping all of them keep popping into my head. In a sick way, I keep chuckling to myself.

That's funny...

Shooting out the engines of drug runners is pretty cool, CNN had a nice video of an engine shoot out, although it was smugglars trying to sneak cubans into key west.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks to AW network, here's the one I couldn't remember the title of that was a great surface action thriller:

sailor_king.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's funny...

Shooting out the engines of drug runners is pretty cool, CNN had a nice video of an engine shoot out, although it was smugglars trying to sneak cubans into key west.

Funny part about that is... a lot of cigar afficianados I've talked to... now say that Cubans are not the best, they've been beaten by Dominicans, etc.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Funny part about that is... a lot of cigar afficianados I've talked to... now say that Cubans are not the best, they've been beaten by Dominicans, etc.
Oh, I thought he was talking about people!! I guess the lack of capitalization should have given it away.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
[threadjack/course correction]
Absolutely correct --- that decline in the quality of Cuban cigars started in the middle '90's when the 20/30-something crowd "discovered" cigars. Since Fidel likes those Yankee greenbacks just about as much as anyone else --- the Cuban tobacco growers, processers and manufacturers -- the whole industry got 'rushed' and did not allow the leaves to mature and age like they normally would. The result: the usualy suspects used green leaves and second-rate rollers and the quality of Cuban cigars declined.

I almost opened a cigar bar/restaurant in SEA in the middle '90's --- glad I didn't. I would have been the major $$$$ player and probably would have lost my Aloha shirt.

Cubans, like all the rest of the cigar industry --- Dominican, Honduran, Nicaraguan, Mexican --- all of 'em .... have gotten better overall since the 20/30-something crowd of the '90's moved on to their next "fad".

Gracias a Dios ... :icon_rast

the_cigar_aficionado_pic.jpg
castro2.gif

[/end threadjack/course correction]