• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II at Whiting next week?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I had a ground speed of over 300 (don't remember exactly how much, but it was pretty good) when I was in Las Cruces in the T-34. Of course that was from one end of the working area at the top to the other at the bottom.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^+1, even the blue/white we have over here in NFO land looks better.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whatever floats your boat, I just dont like my planes with creamsicle paint jobs

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
Whatever floats your boat, I just dont like my planes with creamsicle paint jobs

... And I don't like my planes to look like air force planes. Now they just need to put big "E"s and "G"s on the tail. I love orange and white. It's distinctive and people know who we are on the road. Students aren't supposed to look cool, no matter what they might think. The planes get repainted every couple of years... maybe they'll restructure the design of the orange/white to something a little more attractive.

Are the helo bubbas gonna be screwed going from a plane with so much gucci stuff in the cockpit to the TH-57's that are basically helicopter versions of the T-34? That seems like it'd be tough to take that big step back from a HUD, GINA, and full color MFD's.

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
The 57D has avionics capabilities far beyond the T-6A suite.

Are -57D's going to be fully up before the first guys go from T-6B's next door to the HT's? Are they getting rid of the -57B to 57C transition? D's only? I heard they are also still dealing with weight issues with the D. Too heavy, no rotor brake.

(Being a jet guy I don't really have any idea what I'm talking about here... just curious)

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
You're stupid... :D

I believe what he was saying is that you would fly the T-6B for primary, and if you select tailhook you would move on to an intermediate phase where you get to use the HUD and maybe fly a little faster.

To be honest, I don't think that an intermediate phase is necessary. Guys who come from the T-34 do just fine learning the T-45. The HUD takes all of a lesson or two to get used to. Not to mention you aren't even allowed to use it in any phase 1 instrument hops. Also, the T-45 may hit peak speeds much higher than the T-6 but the majority of the flying in phase 1 is done at 200-250 kts, not much faster than the T-6 if at all.

This is a late response to this part of the thread, but I think one of the most important reasons to be in the T-45 during Intermediate isn't about speed or complexity. It's about landings. Learning to fly a carrier pattern is difficult and relies on repetition. Especially now that they are taking E-2/C-2 after Intermediate, students need as many landings as possible before the carrier. Sure a T-6 might act like a T-45 during instruments and Fams, but it takes 250-300 landings to get it down well enough to go to the boat for the first time. Ball flying, engine spool, and a really clean jet that doesn't slow down are all important considerations.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
This is a late response to this part of the thread, but I think one of the most important reasons to be in the T-45 during Intermediate isn't about speed or complexity. It's about landings. Learning to fly a carrier pattern is difficult and relies on repetition. Especially now that they are taking E-2/C-2 after Intermediate, students need as many landings as possible before the carrier. Sure a T-6 might act like a T-45 during instruments and Fams, but it takes 250-300 landings to get it down well enough to go to the boat for the first time. Ball flying, engine spool, and a really clean jet that doesn't slow down are all important considerations.

True but for the E2/C2 types, engine spool and a clean jet that doesn't slow down aren't issues. Learn to fly the clown jet at the boat then have to relearn how to fly the thunder pigs at the boat, with the power lever on the opposite side!! But the basics of flying the ball are still the same and going from a glass/HUD cockpit to another might make an easier transition...as well as closing the gap in speed, etc. Just my take on it though.

Ghstrdrvt

Don't tase me bro.
pilot
True... I guess I'm mostly thinking about in close. I don't imagine that spindly little gear on a T-6 would like the non-flared landing. All the jet problems may not apply to the E-2/C-2 world, but those guys still have to land a jet at the boat the first time they go.

I suppose they could always just make a carrier version of the T-44. That would be fun.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Are the helo bubbas gonna be screwed going from a plane with so much gucci stuff in the cockpit to the TH-57's that are basically helicopter versions of the T-34? That seems like it'd be tough to take that big step back from a HUD, GINA, and full color MFD's.

This probably won't even be an issue. The TH-57 has VOR, TACAN, ILS, ADF, and GPS capability--more than the T-34 or T-6 has to offer in terms of avionics. The HTs are moving in the direction of MFDs when they start upgrading the birds to the -57D. Besides, when switching from fixed wing to a helo, learning the avionics is probably the least of your problems!