• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 12APR21

jmj689

remember that the number of people on this site is a small percentage compared to those applying and accepted, and that those who are prior service seem more likely to be on this site than not, those facts could give a false appearance.
Yea Im non prior but I have no idea how I found out about this site, for sure I got lucky, it's been tremendously helpful.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Yea Im non prior but I have no idea how I found out about this site, for sure I got lucky, it's been tremendously helpful.
I’d say that most of us found this site because it’s probably the best website for info on OCS. I’ve learned more about the process and applying than I learned through my OR.

Also, this site is one of the first that pops up when you search questions about OCS.

johchi1234

First attempt on the OAR and I received a 46. I was told by my recruiter that I should apply for the next SWO board (August), with this score. He said I have a strong APSR motivational statement and Letter of Rec. file. I'm nervous that this OAR doesn't "stand out" enough. I am tempted to apply with this score though so I don't waste another try on the OAR this go around. Thoughts?

I took the OAR and got a 47 (second attempt). The recruiter in Philly, who really seems like he cares for the officer applicants said its good enough for the August Board. He said if need be, retake if you didnt get it. The OAR is to get you on the board review and into OCS really. The rest of the package is where its at.

Scores: 47, 5/6/5
NFO/SWO

johchi1234

How does GPA factor together when you have a Masters and a few community college classes? I heard this is the average of the GPAs. I feel like that doesnt really make any sense?
ex: 2 community classes GPA=4.0. undergrad GPA= 2.5. Average is 3.25?

NevarYalnal

How does GPA factor together when you have a Masters and a few community college classes? I heard this is the average of the GPAs. I feel like that doesnt really make any sense?
that's not how averages work...
you would need to take the grades from every single course you ever took and then average that. you are not averaging your GPA from a two course stint at a CC 1:1 against your entire undergrad studies.

NevarYalnal

Thats what my recruiter said. Thats why I was confused. But again, i dont think anybody will tally up every individual class and find the GPA. THats just one man's opinion.
i provided transcripts from every single place i took a course for credit, which ended up being 3 separate institutions all told. the recruiter should have a calculator/spreadsheet where they can plug in everything; you just need to give them your grades/transcripts and they should take care of everything else.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Address it. My overall GPA is somewhere around a 3.25 because 14 years ago I didn't care about education. My graduating GPA (approximately 70 credits) was a 3.87 I've consistently been a distinguished grad in PME and my masters GPA is currently a 4.0. I addressed it in my statement and had the documentation to back it up.

exNavyOffRec

add up all of your GPA points from all schools and then divide that by total GPA credits attempted say you have a total of 400 GPA points and attempted 120 credits then you would have a 3.33 GPA.

In general since a Masters takes half as long time as a Bachelors the effect of a Masters will not be as great for example a 2.5 BA and a 4.0 MA would average to about a 3.0

What is the selection process like when you submit your file to the board? Do they just look at GPA, Motivational Statement, Letters of Recommendation, and OAR score? Do they ever ask to see any resume or set up a real interview with anyone? Or is all the selection based off of the file you provide the board?
Thanks