• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Board 12APR21

RClas42

Congrats to all who were selected.

Unfortunately I was a Pro-Rec No.

Age 25
Bachelor GPA 3.9. Masters GPA 3.89.
1 Medical Waiver for eczema.
OAR Score: 53
No Prior Service

Not sure what happened, as I was confident that I would be selected.....

houndofnines

Age 25
No Prior Service

Holy moly. That doesn’t Inspire confidence for myself. What was your major if I may ask?

exNavyOffRec

Age 25
No Prior Service

I had someone with similar stats get a N years ago, even NRC Program managers were surprised, did a quick turn around and was a Y on the next board.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO

Age 25
No Prior Service

Put in for the next board.

Sometimes, good applicants slip through the cracks.

username06

Congrats to everyone who was selected. I was Pro-Rec N for this board. I was just wondering what to do to improve my chances for next board. My OR told me to retake my OAR/ASTB test which is nerve wrecking because it’s my last chance. Here are my stats:

Stats:
GPA: 2.85
Bachelor in Arts Public Health with 3 minors
LORS: 2 profs and HS teacher
OAR: 40 4/6/5

I tried SWO only for the first time. Also, tips for writing my personal statements. I truly want to become a SWO and was a bit sad that I didn't get selected for this board.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Congrats to everyone who was selected. I was Pro-Rec N for this board. I was just wondering what to do to improve my chances for next board. My OR told me to retake my OAR/ASTB test which is nerve wrecking because it’s my last chance. Here are my stats:

Stats:

I tried SWO only for the first time. Also, tips for writing my personal statements. I truly want to become a SWO and was a bit sad that I didn't get selected for this board.
I'll give you the quick and dirty answer @exNavyOffRec will likely give you.

Low GPA. No LOR from Active Duty or Former Military. OAR is mediocre, but it's really just a ticket to get into the show.

If you retake the OAR/ASTB, be aware that any new score will override your previous score. Including a lower score. However, if you retake the test, it does allow you to forgo the usual 6 month waiting period for re-application as it is a material change to your packet.

exNavyOffRec

Stats:

retake, re-submit, and hope.

NevarYalnal

Stats:

Your OAR is actually disqualifying now since the latest program authorization requires 42 minimum. Yes, it's technically waiverable but with your current package it wouldn't be a good look.

Since it's your last shot at the OAR take as much time as you need to get comfortable with the subject matter on the exam; a 2 point gain should be readily achievable with preparation.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO
Your OAR is actually disqualifying now since the latest program authorization requires 42 minimum. Yes, it's technically waiverable but with your current package it wouldn't be a good look.

Since it's your last shot at the OAR take as much time as you need to get comfortable with the subject matter on the exam; a 2 point gain should be readily achievable with preparation.
If I were OP, I'd be shooting for at least a 50. At least show capacity to learn via a decent OAR.

By the way, my guy. Congrats on the IWC Pro-Rec. I didn't realize you got in on 1820. Very solid!

almond_615

Stats:

If Age is not a factor, go to graduate school. If age is a factor, try National Guard/Army.

username06

I'll give you the quick and dirty answer @exNavyOffRec will likely give you.

Low GPA. No LOR from Active Duty or Former Military. OAR is mediocre, but it's really just a ticket to get into the show.

If you retake the OAR/ASTB, be aware that any new score will override your previous score. Including a lower score. However, if you retake the test, it does allow you to forgo the usual 6 month waiting period for re-application as it is a material change to your packet.

How much would I increase my chance if I got two more LORS from Active Duty/veteran?

If Age is not a factor, go to graduate school. If age is a factor, try National Guard/Army.

I'm going to cut it really close with age if I go to graduate school. I considered it but I don't want to go to graduate school just yet. Also, I don't want to enter any other branch. I have family members currently serving or have served in the Navy and I've always been interested in the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

How much would I increase my chance if I got two more LORS from Active Duty/veteran?

I'm going to cut it really close with age if I go to graduate school. I considered it but I don't want to go to graduate school just yet. Also, I don't want to enter any other branch. I have family members currently serving or have served in the Navy and I've always been interested in the Navy.
not much, so much is placed on GPA and degree you just need to make it so you don't need a waiver and then hope everything aligns for you.

NavyOCSHopeful

Ensign - SWO

With your low GPA, you need to avoid an OAR waiver like the plague. I had an age waiver on my packet when I was Pro-Rec'd on the 22Feb21 SWO board. I also had a BA/JD/MBA and a 58 on my OAR.

If you have to have a waiver, you better have a packet that justifies overlooking that waiver for a Pro-Rec. A 2.85 with just a BA does not justify overlooking a low OAR waiver.