• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Toadbob

Posted here the other day for some information on the OCS process, but I had a special scenario for you guys that I wanted to ask about, and hopefully, a few of y'all can help me out with some information on how this will affect my overall application and probability of acceptance.

So a few years ago, back in 2018, I was at a party and found myself extremely drunk hanging out with a group of (what you would probably call lowlifes if you ever saw them) that I had never met before. My friends that I showed up with were nowhere to be found, so I decided to sit down and spark up a conversation with them. Also, for the record, before I go any further into this story, I had never tried (or ever wanted to try) any drug in my life, not even pot, I come from a strict family where drugs were not tolerated whatsoever and my whole focus growing up was really just sports and school. So that was burned into my head. With that being said, I am also not the person who would ever normally volunteer to try any type of drug or give in to peer pressure but, as I said, I was REALLY drunk. So basically, these people started smoking what I thought was marijuana out of a bong. The next thing I knew, they were convincing me to try it, I asked what it was and someone told me with a chuckle in their voice that it was just “some harmless weed”, so I didn't really think anything of it. (I know, I know, If I hadn't been as drunk as I was, I would've seen the red flags too, trust me.) Well, I had friends at the time who smoked weed and I had been in the same room when they were high before and it never seemed like trying it once would hurt anyone. So, with that drunk mentality in my mind, I gave in to the peer pressure and took a HUGE hit out of this bong. Instantly (and I mean within seconds), I felt like something was really wrong, not just because of how I started feeling, but because these people started laughing at me, almost like it was a joke. Basically, I started hallucinating and going on this really intense delusional breakdown and was pretty much psychotic, rambling off about demons chasing me and wanting to kill me and telling me to kill myself and all sorts of other shit, was throwing myself into walls for like an hour until the cops arrived, who called an ambulance, and brought me to the hospital. Well basically, turns out that the "weed" they were smoking ended up being some weird hallucinogen, I can't remember the actual name of it off top of my head. But, for the next 36 hours, I couldn't control my thoughts or what I would say. In the hospital room, still under the effects of this drug, the police did a mental health evaluation on me. All of the fucked up things I was saying while under the influence of this drug ended up convincing the officers that I needed to be taken to a psychiatric hospital and kept there under their watch. Well, I ended up staying there for an entire week but by the 4th day, the effects of this drug had worn off completely and I was back to normal, so I wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible. I got released and was back to my normal self, going about my life as if nothing had ever happened. But the truth is, it did happen, and there's now a police report out there of my "mental health evaluation" at the hospital, and it states the drug I had in my system as well as all of the fucked up things I was saying, plus the trip over to the psych hospital. And I am 100% positive that it's going to come up when the Navy runs my background check.

So, I'm now stuck wondering what my chances are of ever being selected as an SNA and if I should even try. Because I know the Navy Officer program is strictly against any previous drug use whatsoever. And honestly, if this is going to seal my fate of getting denied by the selection boards... and if there's no possibility of ever obtaining a waiver for it... I don't think I'm going to continue to pursue this path any further. There's really no point in doing so and wasting my recruiter's time.

Other than that one situation, my record is clean. I have a 3.84 GPA in Aerospace Engineering. I've been consecutively on the Dean's List every semester at my university. Been accepted in a couple of National Honor Societies. I have hundreds of volunteer hours under my belt as well as experience with leadership positions in my professional life. I have my PPL and IR with around 115 total flight hours in my logbook. I also took the ASTB recently and scored a 75 8/7/8.

With all of that information out on the table, what do you guys think of my situation? And what advice do you have for possibly getting me past this obstacle and putting this behind me so I can move forward into my dream career? If it's even possible anymore.

Thanks in advance!
I'm curious to see what the others tell you about this.

tcham28

None
That doesn't really answer my question I knew it was a more stringent examination but the question was not "Can someone try to make it sound as unpassable an exam as possible?"

The question was "how much more can they examine you and your records if you passed MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES? and if so, what kinds of things do they find out that people get DQ'd for?"

I don't need underhanded comments about how much I don't know what I'm in for (like your response to my question in the other thread) - because I am mature and smart enough, I have already surrendered that there is no secret formula for me to make through OCS perfectly and not have to get shit on at some point like everyone else will be. I'm not specifically worried about anything on my part but am curious as to others' experiences.
Well for one at MEPS they don’t do a full examination of your eyes so that’s one thing. And one more thing, in Newport for the flight physical they do a chest x ray so any issues there could get you DQ’d.

Toadbob

Well for one at MEPS they don’t do a full examination of your eyes so that’s one thing. And one more thing, in Newport for the flight physical they do a chest x ray so any issues there could get you DQ’d.
Did anyone tell you what they were looking for in a chest x-ray?

mstewart5

Sorry in advance for the long post but wanted to explain my situation to see if anyone had some suggestions for best course of action. For background, I applied and was accepted as an SNA by the board back in NOV 20. I waited until June of 21 to get a date which was August 15th, 2021. In July, just after my lease ended and my two weeks at my job was up, I fractured my hand. This required surgery to fix meaning I was not making my OCS date. My hand has fully recovered and have no restrictions but I have now been waiting for months on a new date, until today, when my recruiter informed me that no dates were available for this FY and any new OCS date would be given for the next FY.

After talking with my recruiter he advised we apply for a hardship (which I asked him if we could do months ago) to give the possibility of taking someone else’s spot if they end up backing out but the way I currently see it, there’s probably dozens of people who have done the same thing and would be ahead of me. Is there anything I can do in this situation to be proactive or is my only option to just ride this out?

CWO_change

Posted here the other day for some information on the OCS process, but I had a special scenario for you guys that I wanted to ask about, and hopefully, a few of y'all can help me out with some information on how this will affect my overall application and probability of acceptance.

So a few years ago, back in 2018, I was at a party and found myself extremely drunk hanging out with a group of (what you would probably call lowlifes if you ever saw them) that I had never met before. My friends that I showed up with were nowhere to be found, so I decided to sit down and spark up a conversation with them. Also, for the record, before I go any further into this story, I had never tried (or ever wanted to try) any drug in my life, not even pot, I come from a strict family where drugs were not tolerated whatsoever and my whole focus growing up was really just sports and school. So that was burned into my head. With that being said, I am also not the person who would ever normally volunteer to try any type of drug or give in to peer pressure but, as I said, I was REALLY drunk. So basically, these people started smoking what I thought was marijuana out of a bong. The next thing I knew, they were convincing me to try it, I asked what it was and someone told me with a chuckle in their voice that it was just “some harmless weed”, so I didn't really think anything of it. (I know, I know, If I hadn't been as drunk as I was, I would've seen the red flags too, trust me.) Well, I had friends at the time who smoked weed and I had been in the same room when they were high before and it never seemed like trying it once would hurt anyone. So, with that drunk mentality in my mind, I gave in to the peer pressure and took a HUGE hit out of this bong. Instantly (and I mean within seconds), I felt like something was really wrong, not just because of how I started feeling, but because these people started laughing at me, almost like it was a joke. Basically, I started hallucinating and going on this really intense delusional breakdown and was pretty much psychotic, rambling off about demons chasing me and wanting to kill me and telling me to kill myself and all sorts of other shit, was throwing myself into walls for like an hour until the cops arrived, who called an ambulance, and brought me to the hospital. Well basically, turns out that the "weed" they were smoking ended up being some weird hallucinogen, I can't remember the actual name of it off top of my head. But, for the next 36 hours, I couldn't control my thoughts or what I would say. In the hospital room, still under the effects of this drug, the police did a mental health evaluation on me. All of the fucked up things I was saying while under the influence of this drug ended up convincing the officers that I needed to be taken to a psychiatric hospital and kept there under their watch. Well, I ended up staying there for an entire week but by the 4th day, the effects of this drug had worn off completely and I was back to normal, so I wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible. I got released and was back to my normal self, going about my life as if nothing had ever happened. But the truth is, it did happen, and there's now a police report out there of my "mental health evaluation" at the hospital, and it states the drug I had in my system as well as all of the fucked up things I was saying, plus the trip over to the psych hospital. And I am 100% positive that it's going to come up when the Navy runs my background check.

So, I'm now stuck wondering what my chances are of ever being selected as an SNA and if I should even try. Because I know the Navy Officer program is strictly against any previous drug use whatsoever. And honestly, if this is going to seal my fate of getting denied by the selection boards... and if there's no possibility of ever obtaining a waiver for it... I don't think I'm going to continue to pursue this path any further. There's really no point in doing so and wasting my recruiter's time.

Other than that one situation, my record is clean. I have a 3.84 GPA in Aerospace Engineering. I've been consecutively on the Dean's List every semester at my university. Been accepted in a couple of National Honor Societies. I have hundreds of volunteer hours under my belt as well as experience with leadership positions in my professional life. I have my PPL and IR with around 115 total flight hours in my logbook. I also took the ASTB recently and scored a 75 8/7/8.

With all of that information out on the table, what do you guys think of my situation? And what advice do you have for possibly getting me past this obstacle and putting this behind me so I can move forward into my dream career? If it's even possible anymore.

Thanks in advance!
I can’t speak for the likelihood of you getting a waiver, but I just wanted to chime in and write that I received a drug waiver when I applied for OCS. My back story was that as a pre-teen I tried what I thought was weed (I actually don’t think it was anything as I inhaled the hell out of that but had no high impact whatsoever … still I reported it as drug use as that’s what I thought it was).

I was honest with my recruiter, even though I had no law enforcement record surrounding the event. I just wanted to answer all questions honestly.

Granted, I applied to OCS at age 25, so more than ten years had passed since my first and only “drug” use, which probably made a difference. Your use is much more recent so hopefully it wouldn’t hurt you. All in all, I say it can’t hurt to talk to a recruiter about the matter.

TheDR

Do you have an opportunity to learn combat sidestroke at OCS? I'm interested in volunteering for VBSS so I'm not sure if sidestroke is something I should learn beforehand or if I'll be fine.

Last edited:

EFCepeda

Good Evening!

Jumping in Stupid Questions forums to address some concerns I have. I was recently accepted for OCS Supply Corps a few weeks ago and am Active Duty. Still working on my class dates and when I can be released from the Command.

-Should I be somewhat in the talks with the Chain of Command about when I am available to leave? I've been completely shutout and been told to just focus on being an OS1.
-Once OCS is completed and I'm there for Basic Supply School will my family be able to join me for the 26 week course and time well I'm in Newport?
-Is there housing available for me and my family? (Currently loaded up on the family end...wife and 4 kids)

Any other details would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has been in this situation, or knows how everything works up there!
I can answer to the supply school part. School lasts approx. 6 months, also depends if you're awaiting instruction after graduating OCS (up to 3 months at max, I waited a month personally)
Base housing/roommate program doesn't allow for the dependents, at least at Coddington Cove. Not sure how things at the Fort are. Otherwise, you can always live in town or further away. We had people live as far as Providence and Warwick and commute. You COULD bring your family up there, but it's not even a year until you get sent to an operational tour.

If you want to move them for the 6-7 months, I guess you could... but it doesn't seem like it would be conducive to the kids/wife and their lives.

EFCepeda

What months do you graduate Navy OCS to wear dress whites instead of blues?
Depends on the class team, actually. It really boils down to winter/not winter. I think the command stops wearing whites sometime after September/October. No specific dates from me though. We were supposed to wear chokers (which we bought) and then got told to wear summer whites.

EFCepeda

What’s the expectation for the 3 mile runs at OCS? I’m great at the push-ups and plank but my 1.5 is 12:30 right now and trying to get that down to like an 11. Unfortunately my 3 mile is more like 27 so I’m just wondering what people are usually expected to hit for those
Command PT is divided like that other poster said, but you'd be ok with that time.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
That doesn't really answer my question I knew it was a more stringent examination but the question was not "Can someone try to make it sound as unpassable an exam as possible?"

The question was "how much more can they examine you and your records if you passed MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES? and if so, what kinds of things do they find out that people get DQ'd for?"

I don't need underhanded comments about how much I don't know what I'm in for (like your response to my question in the other thread) - because I am mature and smart enough, I have already surrendered that there is no secret formula for me to make through OCS perfectly and not have to get shit on at some point like everyone else will be. I'm not specifically worried about anything on my part but am curious as to others' experiences.
I wasn’t trying to be underhanded, and cannot remember what other response you’re referring to. On this particular topic, you’re asking the forum to tame a beast that very famously cannot be tamed. There are no satisfying answers to your question. NAMI is vicious and gets multiple free swipes at you, at all of us, and that just is what it is. It cannot be gamed, and only the flight docs really understand it.