• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

tcham28

None
No, definitely OCS. I had to thoroughly chlorinate my eyes in breast stroke for NIFE.
Very possible I just blocked Sidestroke out of my memory since I hate it! But to the original question, learn before because at OCS they’re not teaching strokes it’s more of a screen.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Very possible I just blocked Sidestroke out of my memory since I hate it! But to the original question, learn before because at OCS they’re not teaching strokes it’s more of a screen.
Seconded. Any of the main 4 will do for OCS, but in NIFE you will be expected to do a lot of swimming and to do it well.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Did I read somewhere in another thread that there was a 500 meter swim "test" in OCS?
At OCS you’ll have to pass a third class swim, but it’s non-rollable and they’ll work with you until you pass.

In NIFE you’ll have to pass what is essentially a first class swim with even more stuff tacked on, is very rollable, and occasionally attrites those who can’t figure it out. If you aren’t a strong swimmer, definitely work on that before NIFE.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you guys saying there is no more sidestroke on the mile swim (if that's still a thing in NIFE)? That would have killed me. I was always very comfortable with the breast stroke, but my knee was killing me during the mile swim so I had to do most of it on my side.

I can't remember if it's a 3rd class or a 1st class swim you have to do when you go through the 4-year requal, but the last time I went through (2021), they only had us do breast and underwater-with-jazz-hands.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Are you guys saying there is no more sidestroke on the mile swim (if that's still a thing in NIFE)? That would have killed me. I was always very comfortable with the breast stroke, but my knee was killing me during the mile swim so I had to do most of it on my side.

I can't remember if it's a 3rd class or a 1st class swim you have to do when you go through the 4-year requal, but the last time I went through (2021), they only had us do breast and underwater-with-jazz-hands.
The rules they had for the mile swim for us was “don’t touch anything, don’t touch anybody, don’t stop, and don’t swim backwards.” Breast stroke was easiest for me, some people cycled between the allowed strokes, and one psychopath did the whole thing freestyle.

luckynumbr27

Heart/lung issues, scoliosis, other spine defects.
Any elaboration on what would be considered a lung issue? I had calcified granulomas in my lungs on the chest X-ray when I enlisted 7 years ago. They did an MRI to ensure that they were benign and that was the end of it but I’m concerned that NAMI might just tell me to kick rocks simply because they can. Not sure if I’m just worried about nothing or not, got nothing to do but over think things right now lol.

Good morning all. I was able to successfully finish my Part I flight physical and when I went in for my Part II, was told since i was diagnosed with "mild sleep apnea" in 2019 i needed to go in to sleep study for a re-evaluation to make sure it was under control so the flight doc could submit a waiver. I went to sleep study and completed a "wakefulness" test and was told I should be good to go, no issues and sleep apnea is under control. When I went in for my Part II physical, I was told that if I have sleep apnea, it is an automatic disqualification for applicants and a waiver will not be accepted (according to the NAMI instruction). Has anyone been able to get a way around this or is this the end for my SNO/SNFO application process?

annaperlas

Question for any SWO applicant who utilized the new checklist, did you guys included any miscellaneous items although that part is not included on the checklist anymore?

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
If you're going to student pool, you're stuck there. When I was at OCS, those people didn't get off base liberty
There's a difference between liberty and leave. You are allowed to request/ take leave in student pool as long as you have those leave days. As far as leave after graduation, graduates who are going to student pool are typically allowed to take leave through 0700 on the Monday following graduation. When I left OTCN student pool, off-base liberty was secured but you could request weekend leave every few weeks or so.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
There's a difference between liberty and leave. You are allowed to request/ take leave in student pool as long as you have those leave days. As far as leave after graduation, graduates who are going to student pool are typically allowed to take leave through 0700 on the Monday following graduation. When I left OTCN student pool, off-base liberty was secured but you could request weekend leave every few weeks or so.
That’s an improvement. When I was in student pool in April 2021, you could take leave - but then you’d have to spend 14 days locked in a room by yourself in Nimitz when you got back.