• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sTUPID qUESTIONS aBOUT ocs

Caleb.302

Looking for communal expertise on a question: is it possible to commission as an O-2 if you have a masters?

the master's in question is in Health Administration (MHA)
community in question is SNA/pilot

Thanks!!

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
How many family members were you allowed to have at graduation?
We were authorized 3 guests, but since several people didn't use their "tickets/slots/passes" people brought more. Basically there were 300 spots but our class only used 260ish and one person brought 7 guests. Your class team will give you that info and it changes. We found out the first day of candio phase.

Toadbob

I agree wholeheartedly. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing that, it didn't stop me either. I chose to leave, but that's a very tough pill to swallow (especially being prior service and wanting to make the switch to officer). I was returning to pilot training back home so it made it made my decision easier but it's a lot to walk away from.

I say that because I understand the notion of wanting to be an officer first and foremost now having gone through all of that and having to make that decision. It all depends on what it is they want more, to be a pilot, or to be an officer.

I chose to be a pilot. From what I had seen, most choose to stick it out, especially if they already graduated OCS and are in student pool waiting for medical clearance. I think at that point you feel obligated to continue and not make the past six months of Navy time seem like a waste of your time.

I was already two months into student pool post-OCS when I got my DQ from SNA and NFO. It made it tough to walk away and brought a new perspective on the, "being an officer first", thing.
How much further do they examine your medical history than what you gave to MEPS? if you got through MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES then what do they find on people at OCS that DQ's them?

CarnesCJ

How much further do they examine your medical history than what you gave to MEPS? if you got through MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES then what do they find on people at OCS that DQ's them?
The MEPS physical is a blanket physical for all branches. It gets candidates minimally qualified to enlist with a high likelihood of qualifying when they arrive on station at a training command where the branch specific medical can evaluate you further. All that said, your medical history is contained in what documentation you gave them. If you show up and physical activity causes a screw to come loose on a broken ankle you got when you were 12 that you did not disclose while enlisting, that's lying on a federal form. People get medically DQ'ed because all sorts of reasons. They might not have had a physically demanding childhood and the sudden increase causes things to show up that they didn't know about. Mental stress brings out instabilities that people don't know about. Any number of reasons. Best bet is to disclose your prior history more things can be waived than people think.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
MEPS barely scratches the surface of what the flight surgeons in Newport and Pensacola will look for. Stuff you’ve never heard of that will probably never affect you. Have an optometrist run every test they know if you’re worried.

allegroreyees

Student Naval Aviator
how many days of leave are you allowed after graduation? If youre going to be in student pool after?
Current policy is to allow leave for the weekend after graduation. We were allowed on base liberty from after graduation through 1600 on Friday and then were on leave from 1600 Friday until 0700 Monday at the latest. Unlike OCS, you're not allowed to go negative on your leave balance in student pool. You should be briefed about this and any updated policy prior to graduation on Friday.

Toadbob

MEPS barely scratches the surface of what the flight surgeons in Newport and Pensacola will look for. Stuff you’ve never heard of that will probably never affect you. Have an optometrist run every test they know if you’re worried.
That doesn't really answer my question I knew it was a more stringent examination but the question was not "Can someone try to make it sound as unpassable an exam as possible?"

The question was "how much more can they examine you and your records if you passed MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES? and if so, what kinds of things do they find out that people get DQ'd for?"

I don't need underhanded comments about how much I don't know what I'm in for (like your response to my question in the other thread) - because I am mature and smart enough, I have already surrendered that there is no secret formula for me to make through OCS perfectly and not have to get shit on at some point like everyone else will be. I'm not specifically worried about anything on my part but am curious as to others' experiences.

CarnesCJ

That doesn't really answer my question I knew it was a more stringent examination but the question was not "Can someone try to make it sound as unpassable an exam as possible?"

The question was "how much more can they examine you and your records if you passed MEPS with all 1's on your PULHES? and if so, what kinds of things do they find out that people get DQ'd for?"

I don't need underhanded comments about how much I don't know what I'm in for (like your response to my question in the other thread) - because I am mature and smart enough, I have already surrendered that there is no secret formula for me to make through OCS perfectly and not have to get shit on at some point like everyone else will be. I'm not specifically worried about anything on my part but am curious as to others' experiences.
Sounds like you got it figured out, and if this isn't information regarding or concerning you, then his answer should suffice. They can only examine the records you provide, but during an ekg or flight physical, NAVMED then has more medical information that they can read on a person. This medical info can then cause a candidate to be DQ'ed.

WhiteLotus5125

Posted here the other day for some information on the OCS process, but I had a special scenario for you guys that I wanted to ask about, and hopefully, a few of y'all can help me out with some information on how this will affect my overall application and probability of acceptance.

So a few years ago, back in 2018, I was at a party and found myself extremely drunk hanging out with a group of (what you would probably call lowlifes if you ever saw them) that I had never met before. My friends that I showed up with were nowhere to be found, so I decided to sit down and spark up a conversation with them. Also, for the record, before I go any further into this story, I had never tried (or ever wanted to try) any drug in my life, not even pot, I come from a strict family where drugs were not tolerated whatsoever and my whole focus growing up was really just sports and school. So that was burned into my head. With that being said, I am also not the person who would ever normally volunteer to try any type of drug or give in to peer pressure but, as I said, I was REALLY drunk. So basically, these people started smoking what I thought was marijuana out of a bong. The next thing I knew, they were convincing me to try it, I asked what it was and someone told me with a chuckle in their voice that it was just “some harmless weed”, so I didn't really think anything of it. (I know, I know, If I hadn't been as drunk as I was, I would've seen the red flags too, trust me.) Well, I had friends at the time who smoked weed and I had been in the same room when they were high before and it never seemed like trying it once would hurt anyone. So, with that drunk mentality in my mind, I gave in to the peer pressure and took a HUGE hit out of this bong. Instantly (and I mean within seconds), I felt like something was really wrong, not just because of how I started feeling, but because these people started laughing at me, almost like it was a joke. Basically, I started hallucinating and going on this really intense delusional breakdown and was pretty much psychotic, rambling off about demons chasing me and wanting to kill me and telling me to kill myself and all sorts of other shit, was throwing myself into walls for like an hour until the cops arrived, who called an ambulance, and brought me to the hospital. Well basically, turns out that the "weed" they were smoking ended up being some weird hallucinogen, I can't remember the actual name of it off top of my head. But, for the next 36 hours, I couldn't control my thoughts or what I would say. In the hospital room, still under the effects of this drug, the police did a mental health evaluation on me. All of the fucked up things I was saying while under the influence of this drug ended up convincing the officers that I needed to be taken to a psychiatric hospital and kept there under their watch. Well, I ended up staying there for an entire week but by the 4th day, the effects of this drug had worn off completely and I was back to normal, so I wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible. I got released and was back to my normal self, going about my life as if nothing had ever happened. But the truth is, it did happen, and there's now a police report out there of my "mental health evaluation" at the hospital, and it states the drug I had in my system as well as all of the fucked up things I was saying, plus the trip over to the psych hospital. And I am 100% positive that it's going to come up when the Navy runs my background check.

So, I'm now stuck wondering what my chances are of ever being selected as an SNA and if I should even try. Because I know the Navy Officer program is strictly against any previous drug use whatsoever. And honestly, if this is going to seal my fate of getting denied by the selection boards... and if there's no possibility of ever obtaining a waiver for it... I don't think I'm going to continue to pursue this path any further. There's really no point in doing so and wasting my recruiter's time.

Other than that one situation, my record is clean. I have a 3.84 GPA in Aerospace Engineering. I've been consecutively on the Dean's List every semester at my university. Been accepted in a couple of National Honor Societies. I have hundreds of volunteer hours under my belt as well as experience with leadership positions in my professional life. I have my PPL and IR with around 115 total flight hours in my logbook. I also took the ASTB recently and scored a 75 8/7/8.

With all of that information out on the table, what do you guys think of my situation? And what advice do you have for possibly getting me past this obstacle and putting this behind me so I can move forward into my dream career? If it's even possible anymore.

Thanks in advance!