• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stand by for high seas, heavy rolls in NSW and JAGC

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed, the rules are there. There has been punishment, six months of confinement for a poorly made decision seems a bit excessive for a photo. I think the pre trial confinement was excessive to begin with as well. The guy wasn’t a flight hazard or a danger to society imo, which is the general reason for pre trial confinement’s.

As one of the platoon's leaders he was and should be held to a higher standard, and given the charges he was facing his pre-trial confinement did not seem out of the norm.

He has been punished. The original punishment doesn’t fit the crime he was convicted of in my opinion. The chief in question is caught in the middle of political bs outside of his control at this point. I don’t have an issue with him using whatever means necessary to defend his position as he’s dealing with people who have a microphone louder than his.

I think the opposite is true, where the E-7 has been not only vocal but has courted publicity and attention to himself to the point of insubordination and contempt while his superiors have been constrained from making public comment by the law. He is entitled to defending himself but I think he has stepped far over the line with what he has done.

The same way it is a deliberate, conscious choice to put video of bodies being blown to shit in a cruise video. It isn't our duty to do that but every squadron that spends time in 5th fleet does it. They show that actual moments people are dying.

For as long as photos and videos have been made it has usually been fraught with controversy in western countries to show the dead in more graphic detail, it held true in the Crimean War and still holds true today. Even photos that just show dead bodies has been controversial, with the photos of dead soldiers at Buna Beach, New Guinea going up to FDR who cleared their release in Life magazine.

To use corpses as trophies is even a step further, much more personal and prohibited in the DoD. It is different than showing the impact of a weapon that causes death, as it is much more personal and graphic and yes, still a significant cultural difference to this day.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Footage of strikes isn’t like posing with corpses at all. There’s been a lot of combat footage released over the years by ground guys as well. That’s also not the same as posing with corpses.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But what about those goats that got hit with the GBU-12 (or whatever it was)? Wasn't that video a war crime in and unto itself? Won't you guys think of the kids?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Just let the dude retire... It's time for this story to die off. Is the guy still gonna walk around in retirement with tridents and other hooyah on? Yes. Is he going to (credibly) tell people he was a SEAL? Yes. Are his SEAL buddies still going to hang out and drink beer with him? Maybe, maybe not, but taking away his trident a couple days before he retires probably isn't going to change that.

It's pretty obvious that the Commander In Chief wants the Navy to allow "Chief Gallagher- SEAL" to retire. NSW has a lot of places they should be spending their time and effort, like changing a culture of coked up, drunk SEALs on the battlefield. Or investigating how common taking pictures with dead enemy fighters really is, when at least a dozen other SEALS in the picture in question thought nothing about posing for it. Gearing up to piss your boss off just to stick your finger in the eye of a guy that is days from leaving is just dumb. What the Admiral thought was a Mountain turned out to be a molehill and he's about to die on it.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
Gallagher is a hero to the fanboys and wannabes, POTUS included.
I don't understand what this buys Trump at all. He's going against his senior military advisors in making this decision right? So what does it do other than show that he and our flag officers don't agree.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Gallagher is a hero to the fanboys and wannabes, POTUS included.

Something I learned early on in my time supporting SOCOM, all the SF guys are just dudes like you and me. Sure, they know how to work their asses off and are super high speed, but working day to day with them, meh.

If I had my druthers of who to work with, in order, MARSOC, SF, then SEALs. They are all capable but MARSOC has been the most well organized of the bunch.

exNavyOffRec

This all just needs to go away, if they take his trident so what, he is retiring anyway, he can still say he was a SEAL and if they take his trident it will add more to the book he will probably write.

If they don't want pics of SEALs with bodies being taken then make sure they all acknowledge it is not allowed, then hold them accountable, not 1 or 2, but all.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
I don't understand what this buys Trump at all. He's going against his senior military advisors in making this decision right? So what does it do other than show that he and our flag officers don't agree.

I am surprised the “senior military advisors” even tried to take his pin. It was obviously against the intent of POTUS, which was to basically leave him alone and let him retire.

At this point, I expect Gallagher to go write his book and get paid. And I couldn’t blame him, based on how everything has gone down.

Last edited:

Dontcallmegump

pilot

Populist appeal. This is the bread and butter of his platform and you don't have to look much further than this thread to find how it isn't ineffective.