• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stand by for high seas, heavy rolls in NSW and JAGC

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If NSW pulls his Trident, what’s the over/under Trump steps in and gives it back?

If the Trident actually gets pulled I hope Gallagher just STFU and retires into obscurity. He already dodged a bullet with the conviction and President Trump gave him his rank back, so he should quit while he’s ahead.
I could honestly see the NSW folks saying, “Thanks, Mr. President, but we’ve got this one.”

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If the Trident actually gets pulled I hope Gallagher just STFU and retires into obscurity. He already dodged a bullet with the conviction and President Trump gave him his rank back, so he should quit while he’s ahead.

Given what he, or his wife...supposedly, have said on their 'shared' social media accounts I expect nothing but the exact opposite.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Seems to me a lot of people are upset about pictures with a dead guy. How many aviators have happily shown declassified video from a strike they did killing people on the battlefield? The difference being that guy had a lot more skin in the fight. The only peril pilots see are aircraft malfunctions and poor decision making that will take them down in this fight. I’d argue that it is pretty cowardly to show that sort of video than to take a photo next to a corpse. Neither is a good thing, I just find it funny one is sanctioned and the other is not.

Low flying helos not included in the peril part.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Seems to me a lot of people are upset about pictures with a dead guy. How many aviators have happily shown declassified video from a strike they did killing people on the battlefield? The difference being that guy had a lot more skin in the fight. The only peril pilots see are aircraft malfunctions and poor decision making that will take them down in this fight. I’d argue that it is pretty cowardly to show that sort of video than to take a photo next to a corpse. Neither is a good thing, I just find it funny one is sanctioned and the other is not.

Low flying helos not included in the peril part.
What he did was specifically prohibited

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems to me a lot of people are upset about pictures with a dead guy. How many aviators have happily shown declassified video from a strike they did killing people on the battlefield? The difference being that guy had a lot more skin in the fight.

There is a pretty stark difference between strike video and posing with a corpse, much like there is a difference between shooting an armed enemy and an unarmed POW. Posing with a dead body is nothing more than showing off, a strike video...not so much. Then there is the whole part about basic human decency, and our disgust when our own are desecrated and treated as nothing more than hunting trophies.

If you think that is what folks are most upset about on this thread or this case I'm not sure you're reading the same thread.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
There is a pretty stark difference between strike video and posing with a corpse, much like there is a difference between shooting an armed enemy and an unarmed POW. Posing with a dead body is nothing more than showing off, a strike video...not so much. Then there is the whole part about basic human decency, and our disgust when our own are desecrated and treated as nothing more than hunting trophies.

If you think that is what folks are most upset about on this thread or this case I'm not sure you're reading the same thread.
I should have quoted, but I’m lazy and on my iPad. Referring to a couple posts a few pages back. Went and read through and didn’t go back to quote.

Yeah, the difference is one corpse versus a snuff video of many. Simply because one is more intimate doesn’t change that more died in the latter.

Talking about war and basic human decency is just laughable. I’d argue that war is the opposite of basic human decency. This shit happens on both sides. It’s war, we train men to go in and give lead poisoning to people up close and personal, and then turn aghast when they do something slightly outside of the norms? Turn the nose up a little more at people doing the dirty work that others refuse to.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I kinda see your point. If posing with an enemy corpse is showing off (which it is), then how are strike videos, of a crowd of insurgents getting blown to bits set to a soundtrack of "let the bodies hit the floor" or other musical motardedness, not also showing off (and it is showing off too)?

That doesn't change right from wrong, what's despicable behavior (war always brings it out in everybody), or what's been prohibited by our own regulations and treaties since before any of us were born. If you don't want to abide by the rules (or accept the consequences when you disobey them) that supposedly make us the "good guys" in our wars, then what exactly are you fighting for?

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, the difference is one corpse versus a snuff video of many. Simply because one is more intimate doesn’t change that more died in the latter.

It isn't just more intimate, it is a deliberate conscious choice to pose with what is a 'trophy' versus just doing one's duty. It is a very stark difference and a graphic one, literally.

Talking about war and basic human decency is just laughable. I’d argue that war is the opposite of basic human decency. This shit happens on both sides. It’s war, we train men to go in and give lead poisoning to people up close and personal, and then turn aghast when they do something slightly outside of the norms? Turn the nose up a little more at people doing the dirty work that others refuse to.

We also have laws, rules and standards which governs our behavior and actions even in war, and the E-7 in question didn't just violate them but continues to do so with insubordinate behavior via social media. Just because we train someone to kill doesn't give them license to do so indiscriminately or behave in whatever fashion they so choose. To do otherwise makes us no better than those we are fighting.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
I kinda see your point. If posing with an enemy corpse is showing off (which it is), then how are strike videos, of a crowd of insurgents getting blown to bits set to a soundtrack of "let the bodies hit the floor" or other musical motardedness, not also showing off (and it is showing off too)?

That doesn't change right from wrong, what's despicable behavior (war always brings it out in everybody), or what's been prohibited by our own regulations and treaties since before any of us were born. If you don't want to abide by the rules (or accept the consequences when you disobey them) that supposedly make us the "good guys" in our wars, then what exactly are you fighting for?
Agreed, the rules are there. There has been punishment, six months of confinement for a poorly made decision seems a bit excessive for a photo. I think the pre trial confinement was excessive to begin with as well. The guy wasn’t a flight hazard or a danger to society imo, which is the general reason for pre trial confinement’s.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Gallagher should quietly retire. Taking away his Trident is just spite towards a guy who served multiple combat tours doing vary dangerous things for the country.

Its also been said and demonstrated that the current SEAL admiral doing this is not the best leader, practices thorough CYA, and is very vindictive toward subordinates. He knows he’s not getting anymore stars so he’s getting his revenge for being publicly overruled by Trump.

fc2spyguy

pilot
Contributor
It isn't just more intimate, it is a deliberate conscious choice to pose with what is a 'trophy' versus just doing one's duty. It is a very stark difference and a graphic one, literally.

We also have laws, rules and standards which governs our behavior and actions even in war, and the E-7 in question didn't just violate them but continues to do so with insubordinate behavior via social media. Just because we train someone to kill doesn't give them license to do so indiscriminately or behave in whatever fashion they so choose. To do otherwise makes us no better than those we are fighting.
He has been punished. The original punishment doesn’t fit the crime he was convicted of in my opinion. The chief in question is caught in the middle of political bs outside of his control at this point. I don’t have an issue with him using whatever means necessary to defend his position as he’s dealing with people who have a microphone louder than his.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

The same way it is a deliberate, conscious choice to put video of bodies being blown to shit in a cruise video. It isn't our duty to do that but every squadron that spends time in 5th fleet does it. They show that actual moments people are dying.

I am by no means taking a stance on this issue, just saying you can't say one is wrong but the other is not (and I don't mean legally wrong).