• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

nodropinufaka

You’ll not get an argument from me. I asked for your opinion on the matter and you gave it clearly and have now offered evidence in support. I seriously appreciate it as I am interested.
Oh of course.

I wasn’t looking to argue.

I just wanted to share with the rest of the thread his posts so everyone could see them.

exNavyOffRec

Why not create a program where hunters, pro athletes, the NRA, gun safety advocates, the hunting industry (Cabela's, Ruger, etc.), after-school care advocates, parents, police, etc. come together to give inner city and suburban kids (of all races) the opportunity to learn how to shoot bows, crossbows, shotguns, and rifles safely at some wooded range either after school or on weekends? There could be other activities, too, such as canoeing, hiking, or rock climbing. Yes, it will cost money. Yes, it contains risk, just like go-kart racing and horseback riding are a risk. And I know some people will call me crazy for suggesting we train children to shoot guns safely. We teach them to drive cars safely, though, don't we? The point is to perhaps give them 1) a legal and safe outlet to explore their curiosity, 2) a healthy and knowledgeable respect for firearm safety, and 3) access to mentors and other role models to broaden their perspectives and increase awareness.

Don't forget about this group https://naaga.co/about-us/ and I think what you are describing would be good and get them away from the video games so they can be outside enjoying life, it would also be a good start for a mentoring program. There are many kids that don't have role models and this is a good place to start.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Oh of course.

I wasn’t looking to argue.

I just wanted to share with the rest of the thread his posts so everyone could see them.
I didn’t think you were...and I appreciate the additional information.

Wareal

Contributor
It should have never been put up. BLM is a political organization with an agenda that reaches far beyond ending racism and embassies have no business promoting political organizations.

Discrimination/racism in all areas of society needs to end and there is no doubt blacks face it in many things. But read the BLM policy statements:
  1. Reparations
  2. Defunding Police, release from jail
  3. Changes to the immigration system
  4. Free college
  5. Changes to the local, state and national political systems
  6. Free health care
  7. Guaranteed income
  8. Full control of all public and government institutions in communities
Again racism is wrong. Demonstrations against what happened are perfectly legitimate, acceptable and should be occurring. A statement or even a banner by the embassy that they support the end of discrimination/racism is both appropriate and desirable. But the Black Lives Matter is a political organization. Their name is being used as an anti-discrimination against blacks catch phrase when in reality there is more to the name.
Discrimination/racism in all areas of society needs to end and there is no doubt blacks face it in many things. But read the BLM policy statements:
  1. Reparations
  2. Defunding Police, release from jail
  3. Changes to the immigration system
  4. Free college
  5. Changes to the local, state and national political systems
  6. Free health care
  7. Guaranteed income
  8. Full control of all public and government institutions in communities"
Do you have a reference? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If a government entity thinks it is appropriate to paint Black Lives Matters on the street, put up a banner supporting BLM or proclaim solidarity with BLM in any way, they better be ready to explain why they won't do the same for a pro life group, the NRA, etc. They all are private organizations. Wearing pink for breast cancer survivors or flying a rainbow flag do not promote private organizations.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does a base being in HPCON C mean its tenant commands are restricted to essential stops only outside of work? Trying to wrap my head around my current command's policy and the source documentation.
Couple of things... my installation is at modified HPCON B, not C. Second, my tenant commander is senior to the base CO. I do know that initially, the base CO gave more restrictive guidance for liberty radius. Admirals prerogative, though I will say that he has been fairly aggressive generally in protecting our bubble here in Fallon, so it’s not as though he is being cavalier about it.

nodropinufaka

If a government entity thinks it is appropriate to paint Black Lives Matters on the street, put up a banner supporting BLM or proclaim solidarity with BLM in any way, they better be ready to explain why they won't do the same for a pro life group, the NRA, etc. They all are private organizations. Wearing pink for breast cancer survivors or flying a rainbow flag do not promote private organizations.

Im torn on this.

BLM is an organization.

but at the same time it is a slogan

tough situation really

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Couple of things... my installation is at modified HPCON B, not C. Second, my tenant commander is senior to the base CO. I do know that initially, the base CO gave more restrictive guidance for liberty radius. Admirals prerogative, though I will say that he has been fairly aggressive generally in protecting our bubble here in Fallon, so it’s not as though he is being cavalier about it.
A bit of a more coherent explanation now that I haven't had a bottle of wine with my wife (yet)...

HPCON C = telework or stay at home unless mission essential. Liberty radius is restricted and no leave outside local area to protect population 'bubble.'

Mission essential personnel (including deployers, but not only them) get restricted liberty as additional risk mitigation to not get sick, including securing off base liberty for sailors living in barracks or on board ships. Maybe this doesn't happen everywhere but I know we're not the only base doing it. I fully understand this policy and have been knee deep in it.

I took out some frustration that a temporary policy put in place to figure out long term solutions like masks and pre-deployment / post-PCS ROM policies is festering with no end in sight. The people making it get to enjoy full paychecks and little life impact while sailors had to spend Easter in the barracks or restricted to a moored ship with no church services... and the same policy exists now 8 weeks later even though states are opening up because of 'spikes' that ignore the overall very small numbers. We (royal we - Navy, politicians, sports) seem to have no sense of urgency to restore normalcy, which also impacts over 30,000,000 Americans who are out of work for this idiocy.

I am also frustrated as a leader who has to look at these sailors and JOs and try to answer questions about when they can take leave while towing the company line for people who update policy less than two weeks before the 'expiration date' to extend it indefinitely. The longer this goes, the more that people will miss key family events during their limited time in port or on shore duty.

Then we have to try to quell all the uncertainty and frustration with PCS moves for those who can't get waivers and come up with reasonable explanations on why CNIC still has every base red when the USD has already turned 38 states 'green.'

In lieu of this, I think it's poor form to post hiking pictures on social media. But apparently I'm way off base there.

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im torn on this.

BLM is an organization.

but at the same time it is a slogan

tough situation really
Agree. Though it is clear in the cases I have seen as of late, it is in support of the organization.

You don't have to bow to the organization to promote the sentiment. But too many people are afraid to step out of line. It is business. Marketing. Virtue signals. Essentially forcing people and businesses to say certain things is not meaningful change. It is an illusion. Mandating training that starts with the premise everyone in attendance is a racist does not result in permanent change.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
However it goes, if you had an opportunity to help this young man improve, what would you say?
I don't think that anything that anyone says to this person or any type of training is going to change his beliefs. The only thing he'll do is be more carefully on the internet, but guaranteed his thought process will impact his subordinates.

Didn't he have to write some personal statement(s) that should include a discussion of the services core values? If so how do we reconcile that essay with his tweets?

He might mature over time, but shouldn't be able to do that in the military.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don't think that anything that anyone says to this person or any type of training is going to change his beliefs. The only thing he'll do is be more carefully on the internet, but guaranteed his thought process will impact his subordinates.

Didn't he have to write some personal statement(s) that should include a discussion of the services core values? If so how do we reconcile that essay with his tweets?

He might mature over time, but shouldn't be able to do that in the military.
You raise a good point. It is remarkably difficult to reconcile his statements with any person who is expected to be on a path to maturity.