• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Racism in the Military

exNavyOffRec

I'm sure the thousands of sailors confined to the ship, base, or barracks as a result of asinine COVID-19 policy will feel a whole lot better about it after reading your post. I'm also sure that (presuming you are still AD) they won't notice at all that you violated a slew of orders to stay at home.

So I am FB friends with many that are still on AD and the past month I keep seeing pics of those guys fishing, hiking, etc..... that leads me to believe not every command is following the same instructions.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I am FB friends with many that are still on AD and the past month I keep seeing pics of those guys fishing, hiking, etc..... that leads me to believe not every command is following the same instructions.
Broadly speaking, there is no guidance I’m aware of that says people have to stay home and only go out for essentials. People still have to live their lives, while applyIng recommended mitigation strategies. Spekio is confusing guidance for some deployers on ROM with guidance for everyone else.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Slightly off-topic but definitely applies here I think too. We do WAY too much group judgement as a society. Terms exist for it like identity politics. Holding all whites as being racist until they prove the negative, or Biden's "if you don't know who to vote for, you ain't black" etc. How dare a black, or LGBT member, or NRA member, not think as their group is expected to? The activists at the top of all groups do not speak for all the individuals of those groups. BLM obviously does not speak for all black folks. Nor does some white supremacist (while I don't consider Trump one, for example, there is definitely a portion of this country that does) speak for whites. Even whites that voted for him, for any myriad of reasons (supreme court picks, trade policy, that anything is better than HRC, whatever the case may be that is most important to that individual).

I'm not really even trying to jab the "left" of the spectrum, although my examples certainly lean that way. I personally see more "group identity" politics coming from the left side. This could be because that's accurate, or it could be a blindspot that I have. I consider myself libertarian, to a pretty strong extreme, but in American politics I currently lean more on the right side than the left, even though both are pretty terrible options. I prefer my economic freedom more than my freedom to smoke MJ, although I agree with both freedoms.

TLDR: Too much time spent grouping people up instead of treating folks as individuals.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Slightly off-topic but definitely applies here I think too. We do WAY too much group judgement as a society. Terms exist for it like identity politics. Holding all whites as being racist until they prove the negative, or Biden's "if you don't know who to vote for, you ain't black" etc. How dare a black, or LGBT member, or NRA member, not think as their group is expected to? The activists at the top of all groups do not speak for all the individuals of those groups. BLM obviously does not speak for all black folks. Nor does some white supremacist (while I don't consider Trump one, for example, there is definitely a portion of this country that does) speak for whites. Even whites that voted for him, for any myriad of reasons (supreme court picks, trade policy, that anything is better than HRC, whatever the case may be that is most important to that individual).

I'm not really even trying to jab the "left" of the spectrum, although my examples certainly lean that way. I personally see more "group identity" politics coming from the left side. This could be because that's accurate, or it could be a blindspot that I have. I consider myself libertarian, to a pretty strong extreme, but in American politics I currently lean more on the right side than the left, even though both are pretty terrible options. I prefer my economic freedom more than my freedom to smoke MJ, although I agree with both freedoms.

TLDR: Too much time spent grouping people up instead of treating folks as individuals.
Racist.

I agree with you though.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/us/georgia-clayton-county-teens-police-video/index.html

Read the whole story. It's actually sad and good at the same time.

The sad part - to me - is that gun safety and gun use is so vilified in the news media, especially inner cities. These kids obviously wanted to "play" with their BB gun. It almost led to tragedy. Thankfully it didn't.

Rapper TI is quoted in reaction to the story: "They have white boys, they got real rifles they go hunting, every day, every week with their grandparents and parents. They aren't being held at gunpoint."

Ok, noted. Pretty good point, but I think people like Eagles DE Trent Cole might take issue with that blanket generalization.

But let's not dismiss that point from TI. Let's pull the thread a bit. He said that for a reason, and there is some truth to it. My hunch is that it's probably more of an urban/rural divide, than a racial divide, thinking from Trent Cole's perspective.

Why not create a program where hunters, pro athletes, the NRA, gun safety advocates, the hunting industry (Cabela's, Ruger, etc.), after-school care advocates, parents, police, etc. come together to give inner city and suburban kids (of all races) the opportunity to learn how to shoot bows, crossbows, shotguns, and rifles safely at some wooded range either after school or on weekends? There could be other activities, too, such as canoeing, hiking, or rock climbing. Yes, it will cost money. Yes, it contains risk, just like go-kart racing and horseback riding are a risk. And I know some people will call me crazy for suggesting we train children to shoot guns safely. We teach them to drive cars safely, though, don't we? The point is to perhaps give them 1) a legal and safe outlet to explore their curiosity, 2) a healthy and knowledgeable respect for firearm safety, and 3) access to mentors and other role models to broaden their perspectives and increase awareness.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
We do WAY too much group judgement as a society. Terms exist for it like identity politics.
If there are 20 issues to consider and you are either for or against each (there are way more and it's usually a continuum) there are potentially 2^20 = 1,000,000+ unique positions people could take on the collective of them, yet we pretty much end up with 2. That tells me there's a lot of not-thinking and just joining going on.

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
Broadly speaking, there is no guidance I’m aware of that says people have to stay home and only go out for essentials. People still have to live their lives, while applyIng recommended mitigation strategies. Spekio is confusing guidance for some deployers on ROM with guidance for everyone else.
Does a base being in HPCON C mean its tenant commands are restricted to essential stops only outside of work? Trying to wrap my head around my current command's policy and the source documentation.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot

So this kid is (was?) an Academy mid, class 2021. Nuked all his accounts after posting but not before the Internet and JOPA went Scorched Earth on him.

Surprisingly, even the JOPA thread has a couple (like, acceptable bugs/feces dosage in your food in terms of ppm) people whose contributing theses were basically, "People shouldn't be judged for tweets they make when they're 20 years old" and "Wow, court of public opinion, free speech my ass...what a time we live in."

Of course, if you saw his other profiles, you'd have seen a very repeated pattern of posts implying things such as, "Black people should have good work ethics because they came from slavery"...but without the context, I think you'd still have a read on this guy just fine.

People like this are Officers. All his content was there, but it took an Internet mob to bring his behavior to Academy attention...and we'll see what they do with it.

#SMFuckingH

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
That mid is probably going to be in a lot of trouble.
In this current time, it will be hard to tell, and you may be right. You might not recall that a group of young, African American women who were cadets at West Point posed for a picture in their parade dress uniforms giving what some saw as the “black power salute” (fists raised). There was the usual internet “outrage” and the army concluded a rather fair and just investigation that ended with the following recommendation...

“Based on the fact that the photo has caused a perception of impropriety on the part of the sixteen female Cadets, I recommend all photographed individuals receive a block of instruction designed and implemented by the Simon Center for Professional Military Excellence, intended to educate the Cadets on the impact of their actions. I recommend this instruction be completed prior to the May graduation of the USMA Class of 2016. I do not feel the graduation of any of the sixteen Cadets in the photograph should be delayed, so long as they display an understanding of how their actions as Cadets and future Officers were inappropriate, at the conclusion of the instruction.”

The instruction was basic...that perception matters and people see different things in different ways. As military officers the most simple thing can be taken well outside the intended meaning (regardless of that meaning is good or bad). The young midshipman may well get counseled and sent off to a similar type of training - to be made aware of the implications of his actions.

However it goes, if you had an opportunity to help this young man improve, what would you say?

nodropinufaka

the
However it goes, if you had an opportunity to help this young man improve, what would you say?

I wouldn’t let him commission.

what he was saying was absolutely out of line. Talking about using missiles on protestors, saying because of slavery back people should have good work ethic and not need social programs, and Breonna Taylor got her justice when she was killed.

it was beyond an image that could be misinterpreted and was racist hate speech. There is no room for people like that in our ranks.

Allowing people like him to continue is how you end up with people like Captain Sherman.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn’t let him commission.

what he was saying was absolutely out of line. Talking about using missiles on protestors, saying because of slavery back people should have good work ethic and not need social programs, and Breonna Taylor got her justice when she was killed.

it was beyond an image that could be misinterpreted and was racist hate speech. There is no room for people like that in our ranks.

Allowing people like him to continue is how you end up with people like Captain Sherman.
Fair enough...thank you.