• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
View attachment 27685
Behind Rainbow Falls in Gatlinburg today!

btw these folks aren’t scared of the Covid; this place is packed.
Totally reminds me of a time renting a pontoon boat in Texas and we pulled up to a waterfall, not unlike that. A couple of people from our boat went over to it and stood under it. Only as we left did we notice that it was really the runoff from a neighborhood water treatment plant on the cliff above.

Of course we probably should have know...it was near Ft. Hood, Texas.?

Attachments

• FtHood.jpg
    FtHood.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 64

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
dadskatesquad continues into its 20th week...pictured below from yesterday, two former nasal radiators up to no-good...

27694 27695 27696

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Wife surprised me with flight lessons for my birthday/anniversary. She had me wear a blindfold from the time we left the house, dropped off kids and all the way to the airfield (over an hour and a half away!). I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in this micromachine, it was VERY sensitive to any input on the cyclic. I definitely think I saw my life flash before my eyes after taking the controls and attempting to hover. I will say it did peak my interest in aviation and possibly pursuing my private license (on fixed wing). At least at this airfield, the price for rotary was about 3-4x that of fixed wing per/hr not to mention it seemed like I was going to die if I wasn't 100% laser focused on what I was doing. Wife and I went up in the R44 for a "Farmland Tour" flight, much more room and less stressful not having to control that thing.

I'm going to fly this thing?

R44

Approach

Corn maze

Strasburg Railroad

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wife surprised me with flight lessons for my birthday/anniversary. She had me wear a blindfold from the time we left the house, dropped off kids and all the way to the airfield (over an hour and a half away!). I wasn't sure how I was going to fit in this micromachine, it was VERY sensitive to any input on the cyclic. I definitely think I saw my life flash before my eyes after taking the controls and attempting to hover. I will say it did peak my interest in aviation and possibly pursuing my private license (on fixed wing). At least at this airfield, the price for rotary was about 3-4x that of fixed wing per/hr not to mention it seemed like I was going to die if I wasn't 100% laser focused on what I was doing. Wife and I went up in the R44 for a "Farmland Tour" flight, much more room and less stressful not having to control that thing.

Congrats. If you are truly interested in pursuing a ticket, regardless of type, just keep in mind that that 100% laser focus applies to everything. Or to put it in another, more realistic way, things get easier, and you don't have to focus on the mechanics of flying as time (and training) progresses, and you can focus on "everything else." You can get some neat perspectives in a helicopter, but for price/bang-for-the-buck, a fixed-wing private can still give a lot of "ooh's and ahh's."

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Anybody willing to share pics of mancave/I-love-me rooms? Looking for some inspiration to start something like that.

Gutted and rebuilt a dual function 16x12 media room / library. Went with thick carpet to absorb the stereo sound - walls were painted battleship gray with white trim. Audio/Video is a 7.1 Sony surround system with vintage Polk speakers, a Sony BluRay player, ROKU, a MediaSonic TV antenna converter (converts coax to HDMI) and a new Vizio 65" 4K. Built the bookcases and BluRay/DVD/CD cabinet with 3/4" birch plywood sandwiched around 2x4's fronted by 3" trim to look like thicker columns. Purchased a Woodford Reserve barrel - lot of sanding, some painting and a few coats of stain - then dropped in a hammered copper sink / faucet paired with a modified globe bar holding a few choice spirits. The overhead (white) light is the main light for reading with the wall sconces being old fashioned yellow for movie style lighting. (Looking for WW2 ship battle lanterns to replace the jellyjar lights) A well broken in leather couch and chair that I have had for many years finishes it out.

No shadowboxes, plaques, etc - instead its grandfather's old shotguns / photos of quail hunting, lots of ship photos (battlewagons to the left, family history to the right), and even more books (history major). The Welcome Little Brother B-25/P-51 print for my uncles (one was a Mitchell pilot and another flew Mustangs) A couple of pieces of sports memorabilia are on order to include a Cleveland Indians "99" "Vaughn" jersey. And now on to the next room....

Attachments

• Sink Side View.jpg
    Sink Side View.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 55
  • Sink Front View.jpg
    Sink Front View.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • Bookcases Side View.jpg
    Bookcases Side View.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Gutted and rebuilt a dual function 16x12 media room / library. Went with thick carpet to absorb the stereo sound - walls were painted battleship gray with white trim. Audio/Video is a 7.1 Sony surround system with vintage Polk speakers, a Sony BluRay player, ROKU, a MediaSonic TV antenna converter (converts coax to HDMI) and a new Vizio 65" 4K. Built the bookcases and BluRay/DVD/CD cabinet with 3/4" birch plywood sandwiched around 2x4's fronted by 3" trim to look like thicker columns. Purchased a Woodford Reserve barrel - lot of sanding, some painting and a few coats of stain - then dropped in a hammered copper sink / faucet paired with a modified globe bar holding a few choice spirits. The overhead (white) light is the main light for reading with the wall sconces being old fashioned yellow for movie style lighting. (Looking for WW2 ship battle lanterns to replace the jellyjar lights) A well broken in leather couch and chair that I have had for many years finishes it out.

No shadowboxes, plaques, etc - instead its grandfather's old shotguns / photos of quail hunting, lots of ship photos (battlewagons to the left, family history to the right), and even more books (history major). The Welcome Little Brother B-25/P-51 print for my uncles (one was a Mitchell pilot and another flew Mustangs) A couple of pieces of sports memorabilia are on order to include a Cleveland Indians "99" "Vaughn" jersey. And now on to the next room....
Nice work!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Nice work!

Thanks, it was a good bit of work, made more so by my substitution of enthusiasm for talent. Lot of lessons learned, in particular don't go cheap on tools, measure 3 times before cutting and keep your work area clear. I will also say that I had the best smelling library for at least a week when the Woodford Reserve barrel was first cut.

Almost finished with my daughter's swingset / playhouse. Need to hang 1 more swing and install the climbing cargo net. Just started on the fitness room which is adjacent to the media room. It is rather barren now, will see how it pans out - installed the drywall this past week. The sooner I can finish, the sooner I can get back to lifting - and by then, I hope the price of weights returns to sanity. It is most difficult to find barbells or weights - and when you do, the price has doubled or tripled since last year. Once Covid is over, hope to pick up some rather inexpensively.

Attachments

• Swingset.jpg
    Swingset.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
  • Fitness Room Beginning.jpg
    Fitness Room Beginning.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • Fitness Room Drywall.jpg
    Fitness Room Drywall.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24