• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

Pags

N/A
pilot
So besides finding the end of the internet and buying TP, what has everyone been doing to pass the time if you're stuck at home?

The Mrs and I both teleworking full time and staff work takes a lot more emails and phone calls than does normal work so we actually feel busier during the day. Tack on trying to manage the kids craptacular "teleschool" and it's a full day. I do try and take my phone calls so I can see the bird feeders as there's been a lot of good activity there as spring brings the birds back. When we have a break in calls, emails, and teaching common core math we try and take the dog for at least two walks a day so he's totally happy with this setup.

Other activities:
-put in a giant new garden. Got some mulch and plants before the state went cold iron to keep us busy for the first few weekends.
-gonna give spring grass a try since I'm home to water it enough
-board games ...kids got me a scythe expansion pack for my bday
-going to bed at a reasonable hour. I've never been so rested in my adult life
-we busted out the sewing machine today to start making masks now that they're de rigeur.
-figuring out how to use all the stuff in the bar. Had a buddy who was in to cocktails leave me his bar when he PCSd to Japan. So what can you make with chicory liqeur?
-front yard golf. Put the mat in the driveway and hit practice balls in to the yard. Drinks are cheaper than top golf. But the dog got bored of fetching so I've got to refill the bucket myself.
-started a new carving project. Looking to turn a chunk of cedar in to a Bellamy eagle

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Same thing. Teleworking takes up some of the day. I built my wife a new garden fence and then tore it down and built a tunnel house just to mess with the birds...who have been eating my peas. I am reading like a graduate student again, and actually enjoying it this time. I was “worried” when @mad dog failed to post a Speedy Tuesday post, but I am happy to see that while he is still crazed, he isn’t feverish.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Built a jungle gym out of our backyard tree for the boys. Two swings, two climbing ropes, a rope ladder, and a swurfer. I’m lying, the wife did all that. I worked from home and made mules.
Had to Google swurfer...looks like a lot of fun for kiddos.

Mike aye? Sounds good...Mrs Pags just put the goslings in the fridge so looks like dark and stormie are up soon.

Oh, and I do my part to support local breweries, found one that will deliver to the boonies. I had to buy a bunch but it's good to have a project to work on.

exNavyOffRec

So besides finding the end of the internet and buying TP, what has everyone been doing to pass the time if you're stuck at home?

The Mrs and I both teleworking full time and staff work takes a lot more emails and phone calls than does normal work so we actually feel busier during the day. Tack on trying to manage the kids craptacular "teleschool" and it's a full day. I do try and take my phone calls so I can see the bird feeders as there's been a lot of good activity there as spring brings the birds back. When we have a break in calls, emails, and teaching common core math we try and take the dog for at least two walks a day so he's totally happy with this setup.

Other activities:
-put in a giant new garden. Got some mulch and plants before the state went cold iron to keep us busy for the first few weekends.
-gonna give spring grass a try since I'm home to water it enough
-board games ...kids got me a scythe expansion pack for my bday
-going to bed at a reasonable hour. I've never been so rested in my adult life
-we busted out the sewing machine today to start making masks now that they're de rigeur.
-figuring out how to use all the stuff in the bar. Had a buddy who was in to cocktails leave me his bar when he PCSd to Japan. So what can you make with chicory liqeur?
-front yard golf. Put the mat in the driveway and hit practice balls in to the yard. Drinks are cheaper than top golf. But the dog got bored of fetching so I've got to refill the bucket myself.
-started a new carving project. Looking to turn a chunk of cedar in to a Bellamy eagle

I have also been busier than normal when working from home, at least the kids are mostly self sufficient with their online college classes, the youngest one has a great work ethic so her online middle school is going well. My new neighbors dog barks for 3 hours at a time wanting in the house with the owner sitting outside looking at her phone and chain smoking cigarettes, so I have that going for me.

My other activities have been:
  • putting in a terraced garden.
  • reminding my wife I am on conference calls (she loves being told to talk quieter lol)
  • cleaning my garage.
  • touch up paint on doors and trim.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
After being deployed for all of 2019, I'm still just glad to be home. However, I got caught in the middle of my mil --> civ transition by all this Covid 19 business, so that's been the roller coaster from hell. In spite of that, things are looking promising for future employment. Meantime, I've spent my terminal leave at home, doing plenty:
  • Installed a new suspension and a modern head unit on my '06 Chevy. She now drives like new and I can use bluetooth for tunes and calls whenever I resume driving on the regular.
  • Homeschooling my two kids. Pretty awesome to spend time with them after being gone for so long.
  • Rediscovering the hobbies the Navy didn't give me time for, like camping (backyard), guns (well, dry firing and looking at them; the range is closed), aviation (GA is still open for business) and astronomy (the damn C/2019 ATLAS comet fizzled- did NOTHING good come out of 2019?)
  • Relearning the piano.
  • Fixing all the crap that broke or fell into disuse during a 3 year DH tour and 10 month deployment.
  • Working out. Now in better shape than I have been in years.
  • Organizing and packing an insane amount of sh!t, since we have a move coming up soon.
I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
  • Cooking my ass off. I think I've officially filled the fridge up with Instant Pot goodness.
  • Working out . . . well, that worked well until I goofed a deadlift last week and mildly tweaked my back like a damned klutz. Now I get to just run, take Motrin, and look at my home gym for a few weeks until the soreness goes away. ? Part of me is wondering if my posture in my crappy home office chair isn't helping.
  • Growing chili peppers. I got a grow tent from Amazon that finally arrived (seeing as it's non-essential and all). So I'll put that together with the LED grow light and hopefully watch my jalapeños get nice and ripe. I've got a chocolate ghost pepper and some scorpion/ghost hybrid seeds that will hopefully make some nice hot sauce eventually.
  • Home improvement. I bought a fixer two years ago, so I painted my bedroom, put in new outlets, and went to install a new ceiling fan. Unfortunately the previous owner decided you didn't need a fan box if you did enough of a redneck job with a regular light box, 2x4s, and a weirdly long bolt. THAT took a weekend to rip out and get up to code. And I'm still looking askance at some of the wiring, but I did the best I could with what I had electrically.
  • Enjoying my dress code and lack of commute. My office is business formal and in downtown Seattle. My new office is across the hall from the bedroom and I can wear whatever I want. Also enjoying tele-drilling and the resulting quarantine beard; I was worried I wouldn't get to op-check my whiskers until they'd gone gray. And I'm not paying for travel to my drill site . . . ??