• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Training Locations

Sidewinder7

What comes after primary?

Once one has finished flight training and has gotten a jet platform, what are the squadrons for jets that one has as options for a first duty station?

Sidewinder7

phrogpilot73

Once one has finished flight training and has gotten a jet platform, what are the squadrons for jets that one has as options for a first duty station?
It's been said on this board before, and it will be said again. Worry about getting through OCS first. Then worry about Primary, Intermediate, Advanced, THEN the fleet. But to answer your question, here's the pipeline in a nutshell:

API (Ground School)
Primary - at the end of Primary you select Jets, Helos, or Props
Intermediate
Advanced
Fleet Replacement Squadron
First Duty Station

Don't worry about selecting, the Navy will help you out with that decision. It's really a crap shoot, all you can do is buckle down and get good enough grades. After that it's "needs of the Navy." I've never met anyone who hasn't fiercly defended their platform (except for MB - he's a turncoat! :D). As for actual duty stations, I don't know about the Navy side... Someone else could answer that, but try searching for "Pipeline" or "duty stations" or just browse. Remember - just because when you click on a forum it only shows so many threads, you can change it to display all threads since the beginning of time.

MB - I agree Search would be useful in this situation, but he's a Newbie (and one of my wife's Sailors) so cut him a little bit of a break... ;)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I go to FIT and its a great aviation school becase there arent too many students(maybe 400) in the flight program so you get better instructing. What are these test scores from that determine what you get(jets, props, helos) and where can i find sample ones?
They might need to beef up the grammar and spelling curriculum though....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A 52 NSS is the jet cutoff, but thats about where the grades end. It all depends on the needs of the service. Its been said a million times on here, just work your tail off and let the chips fall where they may. As you can see by what other people are saying, even if you rock the program, the week you select might be helo week with very few slots for fixed wing.

A small clarification... 52 for Marines, 50 for Navy.

It's interesting to see how the NSSessess have inflated over the years. When I was going through Primary (on the original Navy MPTS), a "high" NSS was 68-70 or so. Now 60's are pretty common. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but just something I and others have noticed.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Maybe the new kids in town are just that much better...

KSUFLY

pilot
It's all the guys with prior flight time. They put such a huge curve on the grading scale that if you don't come into training with at least 500 hours TT and 100 hours instruments, you won't have a chance at jets. That's only if you're lucky enough not to attrite. What percent get jets? 0% with no prior flight time.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It's all the guys with prior flight time. They put such a huge curve on the grading scale that if you don't come into training with at least 500 hours TT and 100 hours instruments, you won't have a chance at jets. That's only if you're lucky enough not to attrite. What percent get jets? 0% with no prior flight time.
You better add a smiley face or something, if you are serious you are just about dead wrong ...

Heloanjin

pilot
It's interesting to see how the NSSessess have inflated over the years. When I was going through Primary (on the original Navy MPTS), a "high" NSS was 68-70 or so. Now 60's are pretty common. I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, but just something I and others have noticed.

There are just as many 60s and 70s today as there were 20 years ago. NSS is a standard bell curve. There is no way to have more or less. If you think there are more higher NSSs, you are saying there are more people in the top 50% than in the bottom 50%.

KSUFLY

pilot
There are just as many 60s and 70s today as there were 20 years ago. NSS is a standard bell curve. There is no way to have more or less. If you think there are more higher NSSs, you are saying there are more people in the top 50% than in the bottom 50%.

At least one person that understands statistics.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
My smiley faces never work out right. It always puts the wrong one up there. But what's so wrong with my statement?

Well, I personally know of two people with the 500+ hours you speak of, CFI and whatnot, and they are falling apart in this program. Now Im not saying thats a trend, Im sure the prior time is going to help some, but not to that extent. As for the changes in NSS scores over the years, I have no clue. I have no real idea of how it works. I think saying that anyone without prior time has no chance of rocking the program (i.e "getting jets") is just silly.