• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Training Locations

KSUFLY

pilot
First, search is your friend. T-34C or T-6 depending on where you go

Second, 500hrs is not going to help that much, outside of radios. I think it may be a hinderance in some ways, having to unlearn what you have learned.

Third, TIMING is everything. If you are not willing to fly helos, you might want to think about it. ~50% of USN Pilots fly helos.

Wrong again my friend. I had about 600 hours civilian time and it helped me a lot. ESPECIALLY the instrument part of it. It also helped that a lot of the instructors at my college were retired military so not that much changed from there to here.

MasterBates

KSU, Your particulars (time, who you learned from) may have worked well. That being said, I have seen far too many guys with 200-1000 hours struggle badly just because they could not wrap their heads around the whole "There's a right way, a wrong way, and the Navy way" part of it..

Perhaps your individual enlightenment explains why you selected E2C2....

KSUFLY

pilot
KSU, Your particulars (time, who you learned from) may have worked well. That being said, I have seen far too many guys with 200-1000 hours struggle badly just because they could not wrap their heads around the whole "There's a right way, a wrong way, and the Navy way" part of it..

Perhaps your individual enlightenment explains why you selected E2C2....

There is a right, wrong, and Navy way. When I started flying here, I simply took was the Navy taught me and then changed my way of thinking to fit their's. (Well, never REALLY figured out their way of thinking!) But for the most part I didn't have to change many things. Basically just apply everything to the 34 and now 44.

If it means anything, the guy I flew a Conquest II with has flown with a lot of students and professional pilots. He's flown with 4 from UND and said that he would never fly with another one again regardless of their story because he hasn't seen a single one with pilot skills. It definately makes a difference on where you go to school. KSU treated me very well.

Malice 1

pilot
I went to KSU too. The schooling there helped me with

Radio's
instruments
basic airwork/headwork

It hurt me with
landings
landing pattern (it took me a long time to understand the navy landing pattern)

MasterBates

I had a Metric Ass-Ton of helo hours (lots by Civ standards, not so much by mil)

It helped with:
SA
Not getting airsick
Non-RI Radio calls
Basic stickmonkey skills

It did not help with:
Landing (whaaaya mean it doesn't hover??)
PAs(aside from not getting sick)
BI/RI (I never got my Instrument Ticket, not needed in my line of work)
Rote memorization (there was a lot more "understand it, and work with it" in my civ flying)

Tom

pilot
Contributor
If it means anything, the guy I flew a Conquest II with has flown with a lot of students and professional pilots. He's flown with 4 from UND and said that he would never fly with another one again regardless of their story because he hasn't seen a single one with pilot skills. It definately makes a difference on where you go to school. KSU treated me very well.

Would you care to elaborate on this a bit? I go to UND and want to know what I'm up against.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
He's flown with 4 from UND and said that he would never fly with another one again regardless of their story because he hasn't seen a single one with pilot skills.

Would you care to elaborate on this a bit? I go to UND and want to know what I'm up against.

I wouldn't worry about the above. I'm sure there are lousy pilots from everywhere. I had a friend who just selected who graduated from UND...74 NSS...

It doesn't matter what you've done...it matters what you do. Period.

KSUFLY

pilot
It hurt me with
landings
landing pattern (it took me a long time to understand the navy landing pattern)

Malice...I just had to remember NOT to suck the gear up when staying in the pattern for a home field bounce.

KSUFLY

pilot
I wouldn't worry about the above. I'm sure there are lousy pilots from everywhere. I had a friend who just selected who graduated from UND...74 NSS...

It doesn't matter what you've done...it matters what you do. Period.

I'm not saying they can't be taught by the Navy. I'm just saying that all the guys he flew with from UND were not good pilots. He said that they didn't have good instrument skills and couldn't multi-task in the cockpit. I'm not saying that they couldn't be taught those skills but he just didn't feel that UND was teaching those skills.

MasterBates

In summary, Tom can only go HSL-East. In all reality, he will be in a Bravo Expeditionary Squadron.

So it shall be written, so it shall be done.

Malice 1

pilot
Malice...I just had to remember NOT to suck the gear up when staying in the pattern for a home field bounce.

hehe. No 2 mile long runway to work with.

THe circular pattern and steep fast approach gave me trouble at first. I've always had a bad habit of coming in a little low for a shallow approach. That doesn't cut the mustard anymore.

Heloanjin

pilot
500hrs is not going to help that much, outside of radios. I think it may be a hinderance in some ways, having to unlearn what you have learned.

Wrong again my friend. I had about 600 hours civilian time and it helped me a lot. ESPECIALLY the instrument part of it.

Interesting how different MB and KSUFLY feel their civ flight time helped/hurt.

The numbers tell us that anyone with PPL or greater attrites from flight training at a much lower rate than everyone else. the numbers don't tell us why. My personal belief is it has very little to do with flight experience. Rather, I think it is because these are people who love to fly so much, they were willing to spend a lot of their own hard earned money to do it.

Anacdotal stories from IPs (mine included) suggest, when it comes to students with significant civ flight time (PPL or more), there are two types:
1. Those that think they know how to fly and don't think they need to waste their time studying.
2. All the rest.

Both groups tend to perform exceptionally well in Contact since they know how to land and talk and look around already. But, as those in Group 1 progress, performance degrades. As the material becomes more complex and moves beyond their civ experience, these students often are caught off guard by how much they now need to study.

There is also a subgroup in Group #1. Not only do they think they don't need to study, but they think they know more than the IP who is trying to instruct them. This attitude is not looked upon very favorably in the training command. Or in the fleet, for that matter.

In Primary, the Contact grades may very well be high enough to put students in Group #1 at the top of their class...maybe. But, maybe not.

I'm pretty sure that every IP will agree, it isn't so much the experience you bring to flight training that gets you the grades. It is attitude, willingness to learn, motivation, and desire.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
MB, I read what HSL stood for and still can't remember what it meant. I'll be happy with whatever I get, even if it means helos...

Life is all about setting goals and doing your best. Worked for me so far.