• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Training Locations

KSUFLY

pilot
Well, I personally know of two people with the 500+ hours you speak of, CFI and whatnot, and they are falling apart in this program. Now Im not saying thats a trend, Im sure the prior time is going to help some, but not to that extent. As for the changes in NSS scores over the years, I have no clue. I have no real idea of how it works. I think saying that anyone without prior time has no chance of rocking the program (i.e "getting jets") is just silly.

Silly kids...I didn't say that with 500 hours you can't fail the program. But you can't smoke it without prior time. You might be able to do well but you can't compete. So if you're looking for gouge of how to prepare for primary, run out and buy up as much civilian flight time as possible before you ship out for primary. :icon_smil :icon_mi_1 :icon_tong

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I'll play along, since it seems you have capitalistic intentions ... :D
Side note --- those guys who are hurtin are UND, I've seen you have commented on those types in the past ... more evidence?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Silly kids...I didn't say that with 500 hours you can't fail the program. But you can't smoke it without prior time. You might be able to do well but you can't compete. So if you're looking for gouge of how to prepare for primary, run out and buy up as much civilian flight time as possible before you ship out for primary. :icon_smil :icon_mi_1 :icon_tong

Come on now. I know you're jesting, but consider those who will read your posts at face value - enough.

Brett

Pags

N/A
pilot
Come on now. I know you're jesting, but consider those who will read your posts at face value - enough.

Brett

Thank You.

The things that will help you most in flight school:
1. Work Ethic
2. Knowing your shit (goes back to #1)
3. Don't be a douche bag

500hrs of civilian time might help if its a decent, well spent 500hrs...which would kind of go back to #1.

skotc9

Don't try and scare all the kids away from flying. Half the people up in Meridian only had the 23 IFS hours, including myself. Granted it probably helps, you can just work hard and get what you want. And still have $20,000 in your pocket.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
It only seems that more guys are getting 70's and 80's these days because they're all over the interweb pointing digital fingers at themselves.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
It's all the guys with prior flight time. They put such a huge curve on the grading scale that if you don't come into training with at least 500 hours TT and 100 hours instruments, you won't have a chance at jets. That's only if you're lucky enough not to attrite. What percent get jets? 0% with no prior flight time.

Dumbest post ever...;)

Smiles simulated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There are just as many 60s and 70s today as there were 20 years ago. NSS is a standard bell curve. There is no way to have more or less. If you think there are more higher NSSs, you are saying there are more people in the top 50% than in the bottom 50%.

I understand what you're saying, and it may very well be just be my perception, but I just consistently see higher mid to late stage NSSs than when I was a stud and looked on the wall of scores outside STUCON.

@KSU:

Stop posting bad gouge, be it smiley-laden or not.

KSUFLY

pilot
RetreadRand said:
...or KSU, WOW what a great NROTC unit...

No NROTC unit at KSU. But come on guys...relax a little. Okay...you want good gouge.

ATTN: All current or future SNA
All you can do to affect your outcome in flight school is how you perform in the brief and how you perform in the plane. You need to study your shit to shine in the brief and you need to study your shit so you know what the instructor's teaching you in the plane. That's it. Anything outside of that is out of your reach. Do not try to game the system. Do not try to figure out how the Navy figures your NSS. Do not try to figure out what the needs of the Navy is for a given week. Do not waist time on useless stuff that you cannot change unless you are smoking the program and have nothing better to do. If you're not smoking the program and you're trying to figure out any of the aforementioned, that is time out of the books that you could be using to study. All you need to know is your NSS is figured off your grades. Outside of groundschool, you are only graded on briefs and flights. Work on those things.

Hope that's better! Cheers

Malice 1

pilot
No NROTC unit at KSU. But come on guys...relax a little. Okay...you want good gouge.

ATTN: All current or future SNA
All you can do to affect your outcome in flight school is how you perform in the brief and how you perform in the plane. You need to study your shit to shine in the brief and you need to study your shit so you know what the instructor's teaching you in the plane. That's it. Anything outside of that is out of your reach. Do not try to game the system. Do not try to figure out how the Navy figures your NSS. Do not try to figure out what the needs of the Navy is for a given week. Do not waist time on useless stuff that you cannot change unless you are smoking the program and have nothing better to do. If you're not smoking the program and you're trying to figure out any of the aforementioned, that is time out of the books that you could be using to study. All you need to know is your NSS is figured off your grades. Outside of groundschool, you are only graded on briefs and flights. Work on those things.

Hope that's better! Cheers

well thats a 180. YOu forgot to mention that a small part of your NSS is based on SNA awsomeness;)

As another KSU guy, I'll admit that KSU does get us pretty well prepared for instrument stuff. The rest... so-so. KSU left me totally unprepared for PA's and Forms.....

Raptor2216

Dude, you have no clue what you are talking about. If you have it in you, you will get what you want...assuming they have it available during selection week. I know people who are flying jets without any prior time and they could compete just fine. Its all about how hard you work and how dedicated you are to achieving your goals.

Of course experience will always help but even 50hrs is "enough"...cuz if someone is a rock, 500hrs won't save you.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Who dug this one up? Didn't KSUFLY get E2/C2's? Hate to point out the obvious, but wouldn't you be living proof that prior flight time doesn't always help?