• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Selection

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
One of my sim instructors in Corpus was telling me a story of how he was a new 3P walking into the flight station during an overnight flight and found the PPC, 2P and FE all passed out with the autopilot on. It was a pretty funny story, especially the way he told it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
One of my sim instructors in Corpus was telling me a story of how he was a new 3P walking into the flight station during an overnight flight and found the PPC, 2P and FE all passed out with the autopilot on. It was a pretty funny story, especially the way he told it.
I found that twice, once as a JO and once as a DH. Both times I woke them up using the fire bell.

I had no problem with 1 asleep and 2 awake. I found them like that a few times too.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think I would have gone for the fire warning test switch. I guess the only problem with that would be that the FE would probably wake up with a start and go straight for the e-handle.

I think I've had and FE or two fall asleep, but I don't think I ever had a pilot do it. At least not that I noticed.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I found that twice, once as a JO and once as a DH. Both times I woke them up using the fire bell.

If someone did that on my flight deck (activate the fire bell) regardless of the circumstances without something actually being on fire I would invite them to disembark the crew once we landed. There are far better ways to wake someone up and far more creative ways to embarass. That is just downright dangerous. Not saying that sleeping at the flight station isn't but the fire warning sysytem isn't a fucking alarm clock.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
If someone did that on my flight deck (activate the fire bell) regardless of the circumstances without something actually being on fire I would invite them to disembark the crew once we landed. There are far better ways to wake someone up and far more creative ways to embarass. That is just downright dangerous. Not saying that sleeping at the flight station isn't but the fire warning sysytem isn't a fucking alarm clock.
Well when you are the MC and they are in the wrong, it's hard for them to be indignant or invite anyone to "disembark". In neither incident was anyone pissed off once they got over their intial embarassment.
I think I would have gone for the fire warning test switch. I guess the only problem with that would be that the FE would probably wake up with a start and go straight for the e-handle.
It's not like I pushed the button and ran. I stayed to make sure no one did anything stupid as they woke up (and to video tape it for their hail and fairwells).
I've had pilots who woke up the crew with the bailout bell. Same shit, different day.

Jollygreen - I guess the power lever trick we used to play on new pilots and FE would really piss you off. If you lift the floor boards up in the right place, you can move the cables/power levers. They sure freak out when those things move by themselves.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Well when you are the MC and they are in the wrong, it's hard for them to be indignant or invite anyone to "disembark".
It's not like I pushed the button and ran. I stayed to amke sure no one did anything stupid with the controls.

I've had pilots who woke up the crew with the bailout bell. Same shit, different day.

I don't doubt that, but as the MC I'd say I could arrange it. That's just my opinion anyways. I'm sure others would laugh it off. The bailout bell eh? That's dumb. Especially since you guys can actually bail outta that thing. As for the power lever thing: I wouldn't give a shit as long as I knew it was happening and I could stop any buffoonery that might ensue.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I don't doubt that, but as the MC I'd say I could arrange it. That's just my opinion anyways. I'm sure others would laugh it off. The bailout bell eh? That's dumb. Especially since you guys can actually bail outta that thing.
Just to be clear, the sleeping PPC was not the MC. I was. And because of the crew based qual system, it would take a blood feud before a VP squadron would ever move one or the other off an established crew.

jollygreen07

pilot
Contributor
Just to be clear, the sleeping PPC was not the MC. I was. And because of the crew based qual system, it would take a blood feud before a VP squadron would ever move one or the other off an established crew.

Copy all. I'm sure it worked out just fine and everyone laughed about it but my mind just sees that 3p or FE-T freaking the fuck out and pulling handles or God knows what else. Would we all die? No, but it would certainly make for an interesting debrief.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Another good way to freak out the pilots and FEs is to make them think they left everyone behind. My first squadron had the first two ISAR birds in VP. These planes had no aft radar and the aft radar rack in the galley was empty. Between that and the doppler well/HSC, we managed to hide the entire tube crew. When the FE came back after t/o to do his checks, the tube was empty. He freaked out and so did the rest of the flight station after the off duty pilot went back to check and told the PPC the FE wasn't making it up. I had a long cord headset to monitor the ICS/radios and started telling the pilots over our base frequency we all went to take last minute dumps at the fuel pit head and watch the airplane taxi away. Was he coming back for us? Then the XO jumped on (from the duty office, yes it was a well coordinated prank) and started screaming a the PPC about what an idiot he was. While the XO was screaming, we all snuck back to our seats and I walked up to the flight station and asked why all the commotion? It was great fun.