• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

P-8 Selection

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
They're the NATOPS instructors. Essentially, they're the ones who can give a NATOPS checkride.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
As far as the rack argument goes, if none of my pilots need to be in there during the flight, then they're fair game. However, if one of them needs it, they have priority. Obviously, on a two pilot flight it's a non-issue, however on longer ones (missions or really long repos) then it's theirs. Never ran into this issue in flight because it was a mutual understanding kind of thing. Plus, the crew usually passes out during transit so they get their sleep anyways.

I do equate being a pilot or FE to being in the mafia. "I could sleep somewhere else and not get my rest, but I'd sure hate for something bad to happen...";)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
As far as the rack argument goes, if none of my pilots need to be in there during the flight, then they're fair game. However, if one of them needs it, they have priority. Obviously, on a two pilot flight it's a non-issue, however on longer ones (missions or really long repos) then it's theirs. Never ran into this issue in flight because it was a mutual understanding kind of thing.
Aww, common sense. And exactly what I posted earlier as the policies in my squadrons. On long missions where 3 pilots/ w FEs are required, it was theirs. Otherwise they were fair game. There was rarely ever any big issue (my story above being an exception) over the rack in my 4000+ P-3 hours. Mostly it was good natured ribbing amongst the crew flight station v. tube.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Hey Pickle,
My rack story above was your squadron 25 years ago....
Sounds about right... The only time I've ever had to bargain/barter for the rack was a 4-pilot repo from KNUW to OTBH...taking turns riding floor in between rack shifts...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
True story time....

No one said I was smart man... So is it in Natops or not? From what you guys were saying, it is, so why was the CO giving the guy a hard time?

They're the NATOPS instructors. Essentially, they're the ones who can give a NATOPS checkride.

Funny, everyone else calls that their Natops Check paperwork and designation letter.

I know it's not any one person's "fault," but it's amazing to see a community with MORE institutional inertia for the inane than LAMPS. Big patches stating random quals, IP quals, special names for standard quals... it's almost funny...but not really. And I mean that in a commiserating way, not a "you suck" way.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No one said I was smart man... So is it in Natops or not?
There was absolutely nothing in NATOPS concerning the bunks, at least not through 1996 when I last had the manual. It was something the pilots and FEs would always say but it was never there. Wishful thinking?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Never give a NATOPS Check without it!
IDVhZ.jpg

The worst part about it is admitting to yourself that you are now part of the problem.

Flugelman

Contributor
There was absolutely nothing in NATOPS concerning the bunks, at least not through 1996 when I last had the manual. It was something the pilots and FEs would always say but it was never there. Wishful thinking?

Same back in the '60s and '70s. My first job as a Chief was running the NATOPS office in a VP and I never saw anything on the bunks. It was always understood that on long flights the front office had priority if they wanted it. Was never really an issue.

Only time I ever heard anything about it was in the cabin brief when we flew ComNavAirPac and SecDef on a demo flight in the new Super B. PPC said something like "I don't have to say this but I will... Keep yer ass outa the bunks."