• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more SNA spots till Oct 2010?!

jtmedli

pilot
At least not in the Marines.

Brett

Just out of curiosity...what do they plan on doing with all these NFOs they're going to have left over? Just get rid of them? FAC tours for the next 10 years?

That would be a helluva way to go out...:eek:

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just out of curiosity...what do they plan on doing with all these NFOs they're going to have left over? Just get rid of them? FAC tours for the next 10 years?

That would be a helluva way to go out...:eek:

There will still be flying TACAIR NFO jobs in the Marine Corps for quite a while. No one in flight school now will have to worry about the end of NFO jobs before their initial contract runs out.

If you think the Marine Corps will manage to get rid of all their Deltas and Prowlers before 2020, I've got a ocean view in Yuma to sell you.

jtmedli

pilot
There will still be flying TACAIR NFO jobs in the Marine Corps for quite a while. No one in flight school now will have to worry about the end of NFO jobs before their initial contract runs out.

If you think the Marine Corps will manage to get rid of all their Deltas and Prowlers before 2020, I've got a ocean view in Yuma to sell you.

haha, I was referring to the guys who want to make a career of it? After that initial contract runs out.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Plenty of staff jobs around the Corps. Remember, we're all provisional rifle platoon commanders too...

Sonog

pilot
Does anyone know how the NFO slots for OCC are looking for the next two classes?

Dive_pilot

*Topic Bump*

Anyone have the latest info on the status for OCC-Air hopefuls? About a month ago I was hearing from my OSO that a limited # of OCC Air contracts MAY be alotted per district for OCC-203 (summer). Since then there's been nothing new on the topic. I'm struggling with the idea of where to go from here because the waiting game is tough to stomach. I must have decided to go ground, compete for a slot at TBS, wait to see IF OCC-204 (Oct) has air slots, etc 1000s of times by now. Any good info (or hopeful speculation :icon_smil) would be appreciated although my OSO has done an excellent job keeping me informed.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
*Topic Bump*

Anyone have the latest info on the status for OCC-Air hopefuls? About a month ago I was hearing from my OSO that a limited # of OCC Air contracts MAY be alotted per district for OCC-203 (summer). Since then there's been nothing new on the topic. I'm struggling with the idea of where to go from here because the waiting game is tough to stomach. I must have decided to go ground, compete for a slot at TBS, wait to see IF OCC-204 (Oct) has air slots, etc 1000s of times by now. Any good info (or hopeful speculation :icon_smil) would be appreciated although my OSO has done an excellent job keeping me informed.

If there aren't any OCC slots because of too many guys in the pipeline, I wouldn't count on there being competitive air slots at TBS...

jtmedli

pilot
If there aren't any OCC slots because of too many guys in the pipeline, I wouldn't count on there being competitive air slots at TBS...

My friend graduated from TBS a couple months ago and he said picking up pilot right now is more or less impossible. His words: If it aint on your contract, you aint gettin' it at TBS right now.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
My friend graduated from TBS a couple months ago and he said picking up pilot right now is more or less impossible. His words: If it aint on your contract, you aint gettin' it at TBS right now.

I graduated with Delta Co in November. We had more slots than usual with 2 for pilot, and 0 for NFO...

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
Guys.... please take this for what it's worth.

You can speculate all day long over how many slots of this or how many openings for that are going to come along. You'll kill yourself just trying to figure out the madness behind the reasoning for everything that people in places a lot higher than you do. So instead of worrying about the many things that you can't control, start worrying about the things that you can (i.e. PFT scores, preparing your families for the changes coming, making the most of the free time you have, etc). If the timing is right for you to pick up an SNA or NFO slot, then the time is just right. The Marine Corps isn't getting rid of aviation anytime soon and you always have the chance to put in a package to transition to aviation. Had a guy I met in advanced do just that... was originally a grunt. If you do your entire career and only get to ride on a bird, then it just wasn't meant to be. But make the most out of the situation you are handed and take advantage of everything you can.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHO'S GOUGE IS RIGHT!

.... my .02

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
I always feel a little guilty reading this post because I know the reason why there are no SNA spots until Oct 2010. Yes a lowly Midn 1/C. As it was explained to us there were 95 Marine Air selects at USNA, the gun was jumped by USNA because we were originally only alotted 40 due to the backup in Pensacola. So some General in HQMC probably a USNA grad.... gave all the slots for this fiscal year to USNA. I feel bad because I know with my grades I wouldn't of made that 40 cut, but as it stands I feel like I'm a very lucky SOB. Now I just hope to be able to make it through, because it would be a waste of a slot for some of the OCS guys who were really looking forward to Marine Air. What can I say, you should of went USNA..... hmmm... I think I just gave some people more fire to hate us at TBS and in the fleet.... Oh yea and this was briefed to us by the senior Marine at the Naval Academy during our first Marine selectee get together.... so the source is very credible.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I always feel a little guilty reading this post because I know the reason why there are no SNA spots until Oct 2010. Yes a lowly Midn 1/C. As it was explained to us there were 95 Marine Air selects at USNA, the gun was jumped by USNA because we were originally only alotted 40 due to the backup in Pensacola. So some General in HQMC probably a USNA grad.... gave all the slots for this fiscal year to USNA. I feel bad because I know with my grades I wouldn't of made that 40 cut, but as it stands I feel like I'm a very lucky SOB. Now I just hope to be able to make it through, because it would be a waste of a slot for some of the OCS guys who were really looking forward to Marine Air. What can I say, you should of went USNA..... hmmm... I think I just gave some people more fire to hate us at TBS and in the fleet.... Oh yea and this was briefed to us by the senior Marine at the Naval Academy during our first Marine selectee get together.... so the source is very credible.

Would you happen to be BeerMe's little brother?

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
I was told I had a way with words that made people feel real warm and fuzzy inside.... lol. I actually tried to sugarcoat that..... One thing I did learn in the Marine Corps, Mr. Candidate is to have thick skin.... what I said was accurate as it was relayed to me, I just wanted to get a rise outta the OCS guys with that quote "What can I say, you should of went USNA" lol. Now here's the rest of it, the class 2011 USNA will most likely get boned with not having very many Marine Air selects because the selection board convenes in September 2010 a month before the new fiscal year, so the numbers may not project very well. Now this is speculation: I've heard for sometime that flight contracts may start becoming competitive like every other MOS at TBS and the way this backup is going I can actually see that happening maybe for a few fiscal quarters.