• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more SNA spots till Oct 2010?!

Yankee Uniform Tango
To summarize my story, I started my application process June 2008 and had PRK surgery that October. I'm good to go in every other area, but I've been getting delayed to attend OCC because both my eye waiver and subsequent flight physical couldn't get approved in time. I was contracted for this year's June (OCC-201), October (OCC-202) and most recently the January 2010 class (OCC-203).

Well, I just found out from my OSO that the Marines are now so backed up with flight training, that they won't be taking any new SNA applicants till the October 2010 class. I really don't know what to say at this point.

I turn 27 next August which would put me a bit close for comfort to the commissioning age limit (27.5 for USMC) basically leaving no room for error (e.g. further delays, injury at OCS, etc). Apparently I could still go as a SNFO candidate this coming January, but I've been so dead-set on being a NA (and having gotten PRK) I don't know if I could. I suppose I could try the Navy or the USAF, but once again, I've been dead-set on being a Marine.

I don't mean to come across as too whiny, but my whole situation is just maddening...Has anyone else heard about this crazy-ass delay?

TheFurr7198

The NFO pipe line has been shutdown for the Marines for well over a year right now. I dont think they plan on opening it up anytime soon because of the f-35. The other crap I dont know about. I know they are pumping helo guys out left and right in the Marines.

Clux4

Banned
Do your best and leave things to work itself out. I know how pissed you feel right about now. The folks at MCRC and Manpower are really working hard. Trust me, the economy threw a monkey wrench in end-strength projections to the point that they are considering bringing back an active augmentation board to force some people off. Don't be surprised if they cancel some OCS classes. I can imagine that this had some effect on production at the flight training pipe-line.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
I've had at least a 2 month wait (if not more) between every school I've attended. Makes since they'd need to thin out the ranks a little. But the fact that they're thinking about bringing an Active Augmentation Board online is surprising to me. Although I did hear the a few weeks ago that we overshot our goal of 202k by about 10k.

If there's one thing I've learned about slots and manpower though is that everything can change in the matter of hours. One day they're saying "we're not taking anyone for the next fiscal year" and the next, "We don't have enough aviators, push the aviation contract!"

Stay patient (easier said than done, I know).

Clux4

Banned
We are about 205K. I tell you what, we are seriously hurting for lawyers. They are looking at opening the flood gates for 4402's in the IRR to come back.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Lawyer...now that just doesn't seem like much fun to me.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
The NFO pipe line has been shutdown for the Marines for well over a year right now. I dont think they plan on opening it up anytime soon because of the f-35. The other crap I dont know about. I know they are pumping helo guys out left and right in the Marines.

I'll tell that to my SNFO roommate here at TBS, and the SNFO I know in Fox Company...

You've got bad gouge. Just because your OSO doesn't have any SNFO slots doesn't mean the pipeline is closed. We are still flying the Prowler and D model Hornet, and those squadrons are going to need new NFOs....

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I'll tell that to my SNFO roommate here at TBS, and the SNFO I know in Fox Company...

You've got bad gouge. Just because your OSO doesn't have any SNFO slots doesn't mean the pipeline is closed. We are still flying the Prowler and D model Hornet, and those squadrons are going to need new NFOs....

Concur.... bad gouge. Prowler/Hornet is planned to be around AT LEAST until FY19. The current plan is to keep making NFOs (ECMOs at least) through FY16. See attached page 3-6. We'll see what the FY10 AVPLAN has to say when it comes out.

Attachments

• FY2009 AVPLAN.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 45

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Not sure if this is the reason for the confusion in this case, but often a certain district contracts all the NFOs or SNAs they need for given OCS classes, in which case the pipeline is effectively "closed" to anyone who comes along later wanting to go to OCS in that same slot.

Also I don't know "that NFO in Fox company" but he may well have contracted for Juniors years ago. Just saying...

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Well, I gotta say it is a better (rather, more plausible) rumor than O-1s being sent home because they failed a few A-pool uniform inspections.

I just can't imagine there not being any aviators on the lineal list for a whole year. Maybe the OP's OSO filled all of his SNA slots for FY10, but this tale is a bit tall as is. Stranger things have happened though.

jtmedli

pilot
Well, I gotta say it is a better (rather, more plausible) rumor than O-1s being sent home because they failed a few A-pool uniform inspections.

I just can't imagine there not being any aviators on the lineal list for a whole year. Maybe the OP's OSO filled all of his SNA slots for FY10, but this tale is a bit tall as is. Stranger things have happened though.

I agree...I'm contracted for OCC204-A so unless the Marine Corps decides to throw me to the wolves there's at least one SNA going to 204 in 2010.

Recidivist

Take this for what it's worth, but they just doubled the number of Marine SNAs classing up for API starting the new fiscal year. Not saying it's gonna last, and not saying that means they didn't shut down the pipeline, but I find it hard to believe. If they keep taking as many guys at this rate, they'll run out by this time next year without taking anybody new for FY10.

sanders

Take this for what it's worth, but they just doubled the number of Marine SNAs classing up for API starting the new fiscal year. Not saying it's gonna last, and not saying that means they didn't shut down the pipeline, but I find it hard to believe. If they keep taking as many guys at this rate, they'll run out by this time next year without taking anybody new for FY10.

I heard the pool of Marines waiting for API is around 300 right now, with 7-8 classing up each week. So I guess doubling it means that around 15 will begin each week. So that means people just entering the pool will be starting in about 4-5 months. Glad to see the wait is decreasing

johnsmith3168

I just picked up with Golf Company at TBS. There are two slots for competative SNA but none for NFO. Additionally, they are telling us that if any of the NFO's drop their contract the slots will not be opened to the company. Before I left my OSO's office the first week of September they were still looking for people to fill SNA and NFO contracts.

On a side note, the companies here at TBS are no longer going to be 300-330 Lt's but around 230-250. So a lot of people keep getting rolled back on the front end...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I heard the Marines are getting rid of Naval Aviators too. The AF will just be doing CAS after 2017. No more SNA spots after 2012.

Seriously!