• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

Pags

N/A
pilot
HSC Guys aren't Det MOs??? :eek:

WTF.... No wonder when I went to MO School it was only me and another HSL LT.

Not usually. I've heard of few guys who were Det MOs, but for the most part our Det MOs were CWO/LDOs. On the last det I was on, maintenance was run by an very experienced LDO and a Senior Chief. Talk about a literal translation of the NAMP. Those gentlemen were very thorough and ran a very tight ship. In 6mo in Bahrain, we had only one liberty incident (that I knew of). It sure made being the QAO an easy job.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know an HSC (HC at the time) squadron that attempted to let pilots deploy as DET MO's. I don't know about HSL land, but it didn't work worth a shit for these guys. There are a lot of nuances to running the maintenance control desk, none of which can be learned at a 1 or 2 month school.

If you have a pilot MO, you better have a damn good chief, and hope the birds don't break a lot. AMDO's/LDO's/CWO's that have 20 years in the shop are a godsend when it comes to making aircraft fly.

IMO, the reason for this is that an LDO/CWO doesn't have a problem telling the OIC "NO" when shit's fucked up. JO pilot DET MO doesn't usually carry that authority.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anything to piss the SWOS off, and you better believe it would!
Nah, we'd just make fun of you. Wings on your uniform. Wings on your cover. It screams, "Look at me, look at me. I is a pilot."

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.... Wings on your uniform. Wings on your cover. It screams, "Look at me, look at me. I is a pilot."
Fuckin' A, black-shoe bubba .... read 'em & weep.

Navy%20AVIATOR%27S%20GOLD%20PILOT%20WING.jpg

And we've always said: 'I ARE a pilot' ... :)

blackbart22

pilot
I remember when the blackshoes got their device. A blackshoe admiral was quoted as saying " Now that we have a specialty insigna, maybe we will develope esprit de corps like the aviators and submariners." Thought that it was the other way around.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know an HSC (HC at the time) squadron that attempted to let pilots deploy as DET MO's. I don't know about HSL land, but it didn't work worth a shit for these guys. There are a lot of nuances to running the maintenance control desk, none of which can be learned at a 1 or 2 month school.

If you have a pilot MO, you better have a damn good chief, and hope the birds don't break a lot. AMDO's/LDO's/CWO's that have 20 years in the shop are a godsend when it comes to making aircraft fly.

IMO, the reason for this is that an LDO/CWO doesn't have a problem telling the OIC "NO" when shit's fucked up. JO pilot DET MO doesn't usually carry that authority.

A squadron MO doesn't run the desk and neither does a DET MO. Being a DET MO is a hard job, but it can be made easier with a good chief. It works just fine for HSL. Would having an AMDO be the DET MO help? You bet, but w/ limited rack space and an ancient ROC/POE, it ain't going to happen.

If a JO DET MO can't tell his OIC "No" when shit's fucked up, he shouldn't be a DET MO. If the OIC ignores him, he does so at his own peril, just like back at the squadron...if the MO tells the CO "No," and the CO presses, it's the CO's ass. Hopefully the OIC (and CO) aren't that out of touch.

As a JO, I've downed an aircraft because my back (and everyone on my crew's back) hurt after two nights in a row. The OIC wasn't happy. When they ran vibes it was way out and when they pulled bits of the head apart, there were definitely issues. Life went on.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

This attitude is a recurring theme I keep seeing.

There is an experience barrier with a URL pilot JO. They aren't expected to be maintenance experts. They are Navy officers though, and should be afforded the respect that comes with that. They are capable of program management, and capable of taking care of their folks. Remember, the Mk-1 Mod O LTJG in the squadron has been a student officer for 2-3 years and has pretty much been devoted to learning the art of flying. The LDO/CWO crowd is good in maintenance because they are prior senior enlisted maintainer guys. They know NALCOMIS/MAFs/Pubs, etc. They also know how to work the supply chain which is critical. The LDO/CWO usually can forsee when things are F'brd before it's apparent, which the pilot JO can't usually do. You don't have to be prior enlisted or a LDO/CWO to tell the OIC things are jacked up. It's not an "authority" issue.

It's important for the squadron leadership to develop the JOs into good Divo types. It's also important for squadron leadership not to cut out the JOs in the overall management of the squadron either. I've seen too many commands with a parallel chain of command from the LDO/CWO guys VFR direct to the front office. This situation is a shit show.

Be glad the DET MO, or squadron MO is a pilot. Having an aviator MO on the scene is a good thing. It's the aviator that has to sign for the aircraft, and this hopefully brings a big picture QA to the maintenance effort.

Everyone has their role. The ideal is when the pilot and maint CWOs work together towards getting aircraft ready to fly.

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
If it takes more uniform devices to make sailors feel important, then good on them for trying to improve self-esteem. Wings for everyone!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_091210-N-4482V-013.jpg

091210-N-4482V-013 PENSACOLA, Fla. (Dec. 10, 2009) Rear Adm. Joseph Kilkenny speaks at the National Naval Aviation Museum at Naval Air Station Pensacola during the Professional Aviation Maintenance Officer (PAMO) warfare designator pinning ceremony of 10 officers assigned to Naval Aviation Technical Training (CNATT) command. The PAMO qualification recognizes the significant contributions made by aviation ground officers supporting the Navy's aviation mission and war fighting capabilities. (U.S. Navy photo by Steve Vanderwerff/Released)