• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

Renegade One

None
New Aviation Maintenance Wings

Picture: http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/1890BDBD-B597-467C-93DC-DA02BE35F989/0/PAMOInsigniaandNSA_CSSIDBadge.pdf

From NAVADIMIN 051/09:
THE PROFESSIONAL AVIATION MAINTENANCE OFFICER (PAMO) DESIGNATION INSIGNIA DESIGN HAS BEEN APPROVED AND IS AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR BY AVIATION MAINTENANCE OFFICERS WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE PAMO
QUALIFICATION AND DESIGNATION PROGRAM AS OUTLINED IN REF B. THE PAMO INSIGNIA IS TWO AND THREE-QUARTER INCHES BY ONE AND ONE-EIGHTH INCHES, GOLD AND SILVER METAL PIN SHOWING THE SILVER EAGLE AND SHIELD SUPERIMPOSED OVER GOLD AVIATION WINGS WITH A GOLD BANNER DEPICTING AERO
MAINTENANCE, AND WILL HAVE EITHER AN ANODIZED OR OXIDIZED FINISH OF REGULAR OR MINIATURE SIZING. THE NEW INSIGNIA WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT NAVY EXCHANGE UNIFORM CENTERS OR VIA THE NAVY EXCHANGE
UNIFORM SUPPORT CENTER BY FEBRUARY 2010.

Picture: http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyre...2BE35F989/0/PAMOInsigniaandNSA_CSSIDBadge.pdf

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
I think all designators should have some type of chest candy to show they are at least competent in their profession. Supply Corps has 4… AMDOs should at least have one.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you should have to fly to have gold wings
Yeah, OK. Tell that to the Supply guys who have their own (winged) badge, the flight docs, the physiologists, the Engineering Duty Officers . . .

No one's giving them pilot/NFO wings.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Does this mean all the studs in Whiting going through the AMDO school get wings now or do they require more quals?

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
you should have to fly to have gold wings

Your ego is safe, I assure you... Those guys are the best, khaki leadership in maintenance is one of the last few places where the very term is defined. Even DH's getting there MO ticket punched defer to them for guidance. Glad to see they're getting a little recognition for a thankless job, they work more in two days than I did in a week...

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
Does this mean all the studs in Whiting going through the AMDO school get wings now or do they require more quals?

Your answer....
NAVADMIN 051/09 said:
IS AUTHORIZED FOR WEAR BY AVIATION MAINTENANCE OFFICERS WHO HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE PAMO QUALIFICATION AND DESIGNATION PROGRAM AS OUTLINED IN REF B.

Looks like it will be the same as how SWOs or Supply officers get their pins. I wonder if they will just give it to senior officers (CDRs and up).

IRfly

None
CDR's and up? The heart and soul of maintenance are "junior" officers who have been in the Navy twenty years and wear the rank of LTJG or LT (or CWO). In fact, while I'm sure that they might exist, I've never seen a maintenance officer ranked higher than LCDR.

Let them have a pin...Geez...They're professional enough that it probably won't make that much of a difference in their work quality, but it's always nice to be recognized, and Lord knows that the maintainers deserve it.

The Renegade

LT, SC, USN
The COs of AIMDs are CDR AMDOs, right? Well, someone will have to be the first to get this thing… so I guess senior Os will just be deemed qual’d by the Navy to then qual everyone else. Seems this will be the logical way the Navy might take… Oh, wait… this is the Navy right? Logic sometimes escapes us, so belay my last ;)!

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
A few quick items.

1) Yes, senior officers in the aviation maintenance community have been granted permission to sign off on the PQS--which is over 200 pages long and takes a minimum of two fleet tours to complete. Then there's a requirement for a board, and final approval is granted by CNAF. Only then can the insignia be awarded. I'd rate it tougher to complete than the Chop wings--and that's by design.

2) It's an insignia...not a warfare device...which sounds like a technicality but is not. Warfare designated officers should sleep soundly. It specifically says "Aero Maintenance" to indicate what area of achievement it designates.

3) While championed by the AMDO community, it may be earned by any officer with a maintenance designation...AMDO, LDO, or CWO.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
2) It's an insignia...not a warfare device...which sounds like a technicality but is not. Warfare designated officers should sleep soundly. It specifically says "Aero Maintenance" to indicate what area of achievement it designates.

This would make it OK for them to keep wearing EAWS wings they had previously earned then too, right?