• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New wings approved for AMDO/Aviation LDO/CWOs

Pags

N/A
pilot
National Naval Aviation Museum at Naval Air Station Pensacola

Folks stationed at Pcola have an unfair advantage when it comes to distinguished ceremonies due to the availability of the Naval Aviation Museum. It'd be pretty hard to have a ceremony there come off poorly.

I went to my buddy's NFO winging back in flight school and I thought it was awesome for them to get winged surrounded by historical aircraft and with the formation of Blue's A-4s (single piloted...how ironic) above them. A few months later when I got winged in Whiting's auditorium that might as well have been right out of my high school, it just seemed a little silly that we couldn't have taken the 45min road trip to do it at the museum.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
A bit off target here but to the topic of EAWS...

Was involved with this program in my first fleet squadron. Myself and another JO pilot would help the program cooridinator (sp?) teach some of the classes. After a few weeks of this I pulled the CMC aside and expressed some concerns.

1. The material being taught and tested in no way demonstrated a superior knowledge of the aviation field. Learning wasn't really the goal - memorizing info and forgetting it after a test and a board seemed to be the deal. To be fair, API isn't really much more than memorizing and forgetting but we're also not considering anyone "qualified" in anything upon the completion of API.

2. The overarching goal seemed more to qualify as many people as possible and use that stat towards Battle E packages and CO Fitreps.

Now it appears that one can not be considered for promotion beyond a certain paygrade (is it E-5, E-6 maybe?) without this "qualification". I seem to remember that the intent of this EAWS / ESWS qualification was to give Sailors the opportunity to learn and retain a greater level of knowledge in their chosen field (airplanes or boats), thus setting themselves apart from their peers. Last carrier I was on would not select a kid for Sailor of the day if they didn't have a pin.

Just some random brain firings but it seems that the EAWS program is in bad need of tightening down.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I went to my buddy's NFO winging back in flight school and I thought it was awesome for them to get winged surrounded by historical aircraft and with the formation of Blue's A-4s (single piloted...how ironic) above them. A few months later when I got winged in Whiting's auditorium that might as well have been right out of my high school, it just seemed a little silly that we couldn't have taken the 45min road trip to do it at the museum.
The fact that the Meridian wingings are done in the base chapel, combined with the fact that said building has yet to burn to the ground from a lightning strike, proves that God does indeed have a sense of humor. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
web_091210-N-4482V-013.jpg

091210-N-4482V-013 PENSACOLA, Fla. (Dec. 10, 2009) Rear Adm. Joseph Kilkenny
He was my class officer at AOCS in 1983 but acted more like a DI instead of a class officer. A-6 B/N.

THIS ... is bullshit.

ANYONE ... who can support this shit ... is a complete tool.

Did I say somethin' WRONG??? WONG??? What's he gonna' do?? Send me to WESTPAC ??? :eek:

Admirals or not ... they still put their pants on ONE LEG AT A TIME ... and this is NOT our finest moment. You don't always get promoted to 'ADM' 'cause you're 'GOOD' ... sometimes it's just because you're 'there' ... :sleep_125

I LOVE Air Warriors. I hope the ADMIRAL is readin' Air Warriors ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Nah, we'd just make fun of you. Wings on your uniform. Wings on your cover. It screams, "Look at me, look at me. I is a pilot."

Bring It!!! That's exactly what it means. I is a pilot and I also like pop up picture books.

rle4lunch

Wow, that's quite the thing to say. As a mustang (and a AMDO who was previously in the NFO pipeline), I must say you really show your true colors with that statement. If you had any clue of the PQS that I have to work through to get the PAMO pin, I'd think you'd be singing a different tune.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Arrogance breeds arrogance my flying friends. I can say that from a unique perspective as not only a veteran maintenance person but also as an avid and current rated pilot. I carry every major certification possible with the FAA and fly constantly when I am not fixing what the aviators break. I do so out a passion for aviation and my fellow countryman cheating death by the millisecond. But I dont have to have wings on my chest to prove I am someone, they dont define me they let others know where I come from. I will take any of you up in a heartbeat and probably show you something you have never seen or know how to handle and likewise myself with you. My advise, dont be so arrogant to think your Wings of Gold are more than the designation of others. You dont fly alone when you leave the deck....probably a squadron of 25-50 strong maintainers and an around 350+ AIMD Maintainers there watching you succeed.

Really? Seriously, I am not try to be a smart a--, but you hold private, commercial and/or ATP & CFI/CFII ratings in multiple categories and classes? You are a DPE, an A&P and an AI? Glider, multi engine land & sea, lighter than air, powered lift, rotorcraft helicopter, rotorcraft autogyro?

I am not doubting you. Just trying to clarify.

I hear what you are saying. Your perspective is not as unique as you may think. I am a maintenance test pilot in the Army (NOT the same as a functional check pilot in the Navy). I see and live both sides on a daily basis. I assign aircraft. I test fly aircraft. I troubleshoot aircraft. I am on TI orders. I fly missions. I have a different MOS (153DG vs 153D), but get no special pin. My active duty counter parts get a $20k bonus. I get nothing.

You seem to have a bit of arrogance yourself. You claim the aviators break things, but neglect to add that the maintainers break things too. Your perspective is not as unbiased as you claim. I am not discounting the hard work required to earn the pin or designation. It is evident you have worked hard to earn it. Maybe even harder than some of the others who have earned it and most certainly harder than some of those who may follow you. You may have even worked harder than other warfare disciplines have to get their pins. The point is, where does it stop? Do I deserve special Army/Naval Aviator Wings with a wrench, star, wreath, blah blah blah. It is like the cool little pins we get from Sikorsy for 1000 hrs in one of their aircraft, doing a rescue, combat hours, etc... Maybe we should just weld each of those onto our warfare devices each time we earn one.

Personally, a 1000 traps patch for a back seater seems a bit lame (I know I'll catch he77 for that), but I don't make the rules. Maybe I am just disgruntled because we can't wear green pickle suits in the Army anymore. A2CUs bite the big one!!! There...I said it!

When you are wounded in the field, do you want to get on a UAV or a medevac helicopter flown by REAL pilots? I see what a weak radar altitude hold does when a brand new M model Blackhawk is shooting a coupled hover. Its a long time before an automated system can land an aircraft reliably in an LZ. Heck, I am happy now if the thing can stay over the runway and not prang its tail upon deceleration.